• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Eunuchs for the kingdom of God

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
How? He speaks on marriage, the interplay, divorce if the unbeliever is abusive, the benefits of singleness. But, changing his views, I know not where to look.
He tells the flock not to marry but later says it's OK to marry if not getting married causes one to sin. Theologians have long focused in on this as being another indication that Paul, and probably most of the flock, believed that Jesus would return in "this generation", to use Jesus' words.

Grandliseur

He tells the flock not to marry but later says it's OK to marry if not getting married causes one to sin. Theologians have long focused in on this as being another indication that Paul, and probably most of the flock, believed that Jesus would return in "this generation", to use Jesus' words.
It is unfortunate that we are so poor at awaiting our hopes fulfilled. This "this generation" phrase is one of the most worthless pieces of teaching in all scripture. While the destruction of Jerusalem came within 'this generation', the second fulfillment of this prophecy benefits not from it, but puts people's expectations off very much.

I should mention it is a fact that Jesus told us that his second return would be far in the future. But, we don't listen well. We want it now, right now, well, it will be when it when it comes.

About this post, I have to admit that there are things I dare not say out loud. (also in words of print as on this page) Some things are best kept to personal speculation and understanding.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Mark 13: [29] "So also, when you see these things taking place, you know that he is near, at the very gates.
[30] Truly, I say to you, this generation will not pass away before all these things take place".

Now, whether Jesus mean this as literally being "this generation", namely his, can be debated, but it's apparent that Paul must have believed as such since he told people not to marry, only later modifying it.