• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Eucharistic miracles: Faith is not humbled by science

Mark Dohle

The Vatican’s Dicastery for Communication presents a documentary on Eucharistic miracles, interviewing scientists and witnesses, and raising awareness of this global phenomenon.
By Francesca Merlo
The documentary “Segni” (Italian for “signs”), is inspired by the venerable Carlo Acutis, a young boy who died at the young age of 15 from a sudden onset of leukemia. He dedicated his life to spreading awareness of Eucharistic miracles. He even opened his own exhibition to showcase past miracles that, to him, prove God’s love for us.

Modern miracle
The documentary focuses on events that took place between 1999-2013 in Argentina, Poland, Mexico and Italy. These miracles occurred when science was already advanced enough to become involved in defining the phenomenon. Science that could look into these consecrated hosts, that suddenly turned red, taking the form of meat, of human flesh.

Constant wonder
The producers of this documentary travelled to the locations where some of these miracles are said to have taken place. There, they spoke to those who discovered them, those who studied them and those who, to this day, still wonder over them.

Matteo Ceccarelli, the director, spoke before the projection of the film and explained that part of what he wanted to transmit through the documentary was the ‘what happens after’. He wanted to show that as a consequence of these miracles many of the priests “learned to re-commit themselves”. This was supported by Fr Andrzej Ziombra, from the Church of St Hyacinth in Legnica, Poland, where in 2013 a blood stain was discovered on a host. Fr Ziombra says “I discovered the beauty of priesthood”, after understanding that “something important had occurred in my church.”

Scientific support
Part of the fascination behind these modern day miracles is the voice that science has given them. Science can be used, and has been used, to refute miracles. This was the case in one church in Poland, where red stains were discovered on a host. After having it tested, it was discovered that the red was simply fungus. Science is also used to accept miracles, as was the case in the situations explored in the documentary.

God's sign of love
In all these cases, the host, having taken on the form of flesh, was studied in depth by scientists. Similarities were discovered in all these cases: the presence of white blood cells, that usually disappear after a few minutes after death; the recurring AB blood type; the heart tissue found; and the other signs of life and vitality. None of these could be scientifically explained.
As Franco Serafini, a cardiologist, said in his opening remarks, “faith is not humbled by science”. There are certain things medicine can do when studying miracles, he said. “The miracles can now speak to us in a scientific and technological language, understood by people in this day and age”.

Ricardo Castañón Gómez, contacted in 1999 in Buenos Aires, Argentina, to study the host that had turned red after it had been placed in water, to this day is unable to explain this occurrence, at least not through science. One explanation, chosen by many, including the initially skeptical Mexican Bishop Alejo Zavala Castro, is simply that “this is what God wanted”, and that this is “Him, showing us He loves us

Eucharistic miracles: Faith is not humbled by science - Vatican News

whirlingmerc

The Vatican’s Dicastery for Communication presents a documentary on Eucharistic miracles, interviewing scientists and witnesses, and raising awareness of this global phenomenon.
By Francesca Merlo
The documentary “Segni” (Italian for “signs”), is inspired by the venerable Carlo Acutis, a young boy who died at the young age of 15 from a sudden onset of leukemia. He dedicated his life to spreading awareness of Eucharistic miracles. He even opened his own exhibition to showcase past miracles that, to him, prove God’s love for us.

Modern miracle
The documentary focuses on events that took place between 1999-2013 in Argentina, Poland, Mexico and Italy. These miracles occurred when science was already advanced enough to become involved in defining the phenomenon. Science that could look into these consecrated hosts, that suddenly turned red, taking the form of meat, of human flesh.

Constant wonder
The producers of this documentary travelled to the locations where some of these miracles are said to have taken place. There, they spoke to those who discovered them, those who studied them and those who, to this day, still wonder over them.

Matteo Ceccarelli, the director, spoke before the projection of the film and explained that part of what he wanted to transmit through the documentary was the ‘what happens after’. He wanted to show that as a consequence of these miracles many of the priests “learned to re-commit themselves”. This was supported by Fr Andrzej Ziombra, from the Church of St Hyacinth in Legnica, Poland, where in 2013 a blood stain was discovered on a host. Fr Ziombra says “I discovered the beauty of priesthood”, after understanding that “something important had occurred in my church.”

Scientific support
Part of the fascination behind these modern day miracles is the voice that science has given them. Science can be used, and has been used, to refute miracles. This was the case in one church in Poland, where red stains were discovered on a host. After having it tested, it was discovered that the red was simply fungus. Science is also used to accept miracles, as was the case in the situations explored in the documentary.

God's sign of love
In all these cases, the host, having taken on the form of flesh, was studied in depth by scientists. Similarities were discovered in all these cases: the presence of white blood cells, that usually disappear after a few minutes after death; the recurring AB blood type; the heart tissue found; and the other signs of life and vitality. None of these could be scientifically explained.
As Franco Serafini, a cardiologist, said in his opening remarks, “faith is not humbled by science”. There are certain things medicine can do when studying miracles, he said. “The miracles can now speak to us in a scientific and technological language, understood by people in this day and age”.

Ricardo Castañón Gómez, contacted in 1999 in Buenos Aires, Argentina, to study the host that had turned red after it had been placed in water, to this day is unable to explain this occurrence, at least not through science. One explanation, chosen by many, including the initially skeptical Mexican Bishop Alejo Zavala Castro, is simply that “this is what God wanted”, and that this is “Him, showing us He loves us

As someone who went to a Catholic grade school, and parents went to St Mary's of Noter Dame and Fenwick High school, all Catholic, I fought both surprising and interesting that the apostle Paul in Romans which is the lead off gospel primary epistle in the New Testament regarding the way of salvation doesn't even bring up communion but rather trusting and receiving the gift of faith believing for eternal life. Why do you thin that is

However, claims bear investigation, and the love of truth is a gift of God indeed

The Right Hand of God in the Psalms

Screen Shot 2018-11-03 at 9.50.52 AM.png

Last edited:

exchemist

Veteran Member
By Francesca Merlo

Modern miracle

Constant wonder

Scientific support

God's sign of love

I have to say I think this is the sort of thing that gives the Catholic Church a bad name. Lending official support to such doubtful, superstitious stories is not good for the credibility of the hierarchy. Much better to be very cautious indeed in commenting on claims of this kind. For example, the church has always been very careful not to claim relics such as as the Turin Shroud, are genuine, just in case it is found they are not. Instead, they merely state that these things are objects to aid the faithful in their devotions.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Frankly, I tend to think all denominations and religions are probably very superstitious.

[see My Faith Statement at the bottom of my posts to see why I tend to lean in this direction]

Mark Dohle

I have to say I think this is the sort of thing that gives the Catholic Church a bad name. Lending official support to such doubtful, superstitious stories is not good for the credibility of the hierarchy. Much better to be very cautious indeed in commenting on claims of this kind. For example, the church has always been very careful not to claim relics such as as the Turin Shroud, are genuine, just in case it is found they are not. Instead, they merely state that these things are objects to aid the faithful in their devotions.
Yes, the church is careful, however these miracles are given for a reason, one is to increase faith, in a world where it is getting harder to be faithful.

Mark Dohle

If they are miracles........
We are all limited in what we can accept. I understand that. Our world view, perspective, and yes what faith we hold or not, will more often than not dictate to us what we can accept.

however, the Eurcharist has been central to all of the older traditions for 2000 years. It is only after the reformation, after Luther, that the 'real presence' in the eurchairst was called into question on a wide schale.

Peace
mark

Mark Dohle

As someone who went to a Catholic grade school, and parents went to St Mary's of Noter Dame and Fenwick High school, all Catholic, I fought both surprising and interesting that the apostle Paul in Romans which is the lead off gospel primary epistle in the New Testament regarding the way of salvation doesn't even bring up communion but rather trusting and receiving the gift of faith believing for eternal life. Why do you thin that is

However, claims bear investigation, and the love of truth is a gift of God indeed

The Right Hand of God in the Psalms

View attachment 25179
Actually he does bring up the eucharist in 1st Cor.
Here's Why You Can Be Absolutely Sure That Paul Believed in the Eucharist | Catholic Answers

exchemist

Veteran Member
We are all limited in what we can accept. I understand that. Our world view, perspective, and yes what faith we hold or not, will more often than not dictate to us what we can accept.

however, the Eurcharist has been central to all of the older traditions for 2000 years. It is only after the reformation, after Luther, that the 'real presence' in the eurchairst was called into question on a wide schale.

Peace
mark
True enough, but that has nothing to do with the claims of miracles that you are referring to.

Mark Dohle

True enough, but that has nothing to do with the claims of miracles that you are referring to.
If someone believes that miracles (an assumption) or impossible, then for the most part, no miracle will convince them, unless of course it happens to them personally.

Peace
Mark

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I don't believe we have to assume miracles when dealing with the issue of "transubstantiation", as I tend to look at this more from the perspective of Plato's concept of "essence", namely that when father says the prayers, the "essence" of bread & wine are change to the body & blood.

Remember, the Church was highly influenced by Greek thought, especially Aristotle, and I do feel that this was a good development since it encouraged the Church not be too parochial but also to rely heavily on the use of reason.

Mark Dohle

I don't believe we have to assume miracles when dealing with the issue of "transubstantiation", as I tend to look at this more from the perspective of Plato's concept of "essence", namely that when father says the prayers, the "essence" of bread & wine are change to the body & blood.

Remember, the Church was highly influenced by Greek thought, especially Aristotle, and I do feel that this was a good development since it encouraged the Church not be too parochial but also to rely heavily on the use of reason.
It is a way of tryng to understand what happens, yes using Greek philosophical terms. A miracle (or so called) points to that reality.

Peace
Mark