• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Eucharist/Memorial/Last Supper. (Those who claim to be Christian only)

Samael_Khan

Goosebender
It depends.

It also depends.

It depends on who the persons giving the holy supper to you and it depends on who the persons giving the holy baptism to you. Are they sent? Who sent them?

Ephesians 4:4-6 New International Version (NIV)
There is one body and one Spirit, just as you were called to one hope when you were called; one Lord, one faith, one baptism; one God and Father of all, who is over all and through all and in all.

What is that one body?
Colossians 1:18 New International Version (NIV)
And he is the head of the body, the church; he is the beginning and the firstborn from among the dead, so that in everything he might have the supremacy.

Is that church headed by Christ or headed by someone else?
If it is headed by someone else then it is not that one body referred to in the Bible

View attachment 40616View attachment 40617View attachment 40618

If the church is not headed by Christ, then everybody is separate from Christ.
The one Spirit will not be there. And if the one Spirit is not there, there is no hope in that church
That church is still with the world and the world does not have God

Ephesians 2:12 New International Version (NIV)
remember that at that time you were separate from Christ, excluded from citizenship in Israel and foreigners to the covenants of the promise, without hope and without God in the world.

So what happens to the alleged holy supper? The alleged baptism and everything?

Matthew 15:9 New International Version (NIV)
They worship me in vain;
their teachings are merely human rules.

Thanks for the answer.

So the premise of the question would be that the church is headed by Christ.

Given this premise what would your viewpoint of the questions be?

Samael_Khan

Goosebender
Christian means in the Bible a disciple of Jesus (Acts 11:26). To be a disciple, one must be baptized and remain in the teachings of Jesus.

Therefore go, and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all things that I commanded you. Behold, I am with you always, even to the end of the age."
Mat. 28:19-20

Jesus therefore said to those Jews who had believed him, "If you remain in my word, then you are truly my disciples. You will know the truth, and the truth will make you free."
John 8:31-32

So then would the partaking of the bread and wine often be in line with Jesus teachings?

Ans with regards to the second question?

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
"Eucharist" means "thanksgiving", and it is used to commemorate the "Last Supper", and it involves prayers and blessings over unleavened bread and wine that Jesus, and later Church "elders" ("bishops" & "priests"), distributed and still distributes to congregants.

Here: Eucharist - Wikipedia

I understand, I give thanks often, but don't claim my sect has THE Eucharist or that our elders can make Jesus be crucified again to fill THE Eucharist I present in a monstrance.

I continue to wonder why Rome says Jesus is again crucified afresh in the Mass, when the writer of Hebrews warns of false teachers that they "[to] their loss they are crucifying the Son of God all over again and subjecting him to public disgrace."

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I understand, I give thanks often, but don't claim my sect has THE Eucharist or that our elders can make Jesus be crucified again to fill THE Eucharist I present in a monstrance.
Again, the Eucharist commemorates the "Last Supper" that Jesus said we need to partake of, thus not the crucifixion per se. Jesus died once, not millions of times.

Yes, after the Last Supper Jesus was crucified, and we do remember that as being the "last sacrifice" for the "forgiveness of sins", but the "body & blood" deal with the supper.

I continue to wonder why Rome says Jesus is again crucified afresh in the Mass, when the writer of Hebrews warns of false teachers that they "[to] their loss they are crucifying the Son of God all over again and subjecting him to public disgrace."
Since it seems your denomination doesn't partake in the Eucharist to commemorate the Last Supper, even though Jesus' mandated it, it thus seems that your teachers must be "false teachers".

Maybe you should actually go back through the Gospels and read about the "Last Supper" and what Jesus told us to do, thus ignoring your teachers that don't seem to understand it much.

So then would the partaking of the bread and wine often be in line with Jesus teachings?

Ans with regards to the second question?

By what I know, only things required are those said in my previous post for person to be a disciple of Jesus (“Christian”). I don’t think it means one must partake of the bread and wine often. It means one is loyal to the teachings of Jesus, would not reject them and teach otherwise.

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
Again, the Eucharist commemorates the "Last Supper" that Jesus said we need to partake of, thus not the crucifixion per se. Jesus died once, not millions of times.

Yes, after the Last Supper Jesus was crucified, and we do remember that as being the "last sacrifice" for the "forgiveness of sins", but the "body & blood" deal with the supper.

Since it seems your denomination doesn't partake in the Eucharist to commemorate the Last Supper, even though Jesus' mandated it, it thus seems that your teachers must be "false teachers".

Maybe you should actually go back through the Gospels and read about the "Last Supper" and what Jesus told us to do, thus ignoring your teachers that don't seem to understand it much.

I'm aware of the Catholic apologetics against re-crucifying Christ in the Mass, and am also aware (as from recent visits to Rome, Madrid and Israel, including dozens of church visits) that crucifixes and altars are perpetually keeping Jesus on the cross. The Protestant cross is empty, as it is finished.

My sect DOES partake in the giving of thanks, and we have bread and wine to celebrate/commemorate the Last Supper, not the cross.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I'm aware of the Catholic apologetics against re-crucifying Christ in the Mass, and am also aware (as from recent visits to Rome, Madrid and Israel, including dozens of church visits) that crucifixes and altars are perpetually keeping Jesus on the cross. The Protestant cross is empty, as it is finished. My sect DOES partake in the giving of thanks, and we have bread and wine to celebrate/commemorate the Last Supper, not the cross.
Jesus on the cross was and is real, thus a stark reminder who was actually on that cross that we painfully remember.

IOW, it's called "reality".

BTW, I've been to all three of those locations you mention above, although I was in Israel 2X, first for 1 week, and 8 years later for 2 weeks.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
First off, there's no such thing as a "perfect" bible. It has undergone translation, as well as an extensive process of redaction and copying. We have no "original texts."

Second, Eucharist is not necessary for salvation.

Third, God already "approves" of the human family, no matter their religious affiliation. "Being Christian" is no guarantee of anything. It's a response to grace freely given.