• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

EU Leaders Agree to Implement CBAM, a Carbon Tariff

Heyo

Veteran Member
Based on who pays a tariff, IMO everything in the EU will be going up for the consumer to cover the tax the importer has to pay
Yes, but that is not the only effect. There's a reason it is called "protectionism". It protects local industries from cheap imports. And many of those imports are cheap because the producers don't have to pay for carbon certificates. I.e. the EU won't ship their responsibilities for carbon reduction over seas.
At the same time they give incentives for other countries to do their own carbon taxes or agree to an international carbon certificate trade.
I had argued for an international carbon certificate trade which should have included imports from non participating countries when the UN climate conference was in Rio (which was, as I just looked up, 30 years ago).

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Certainly, one way or another, the transition to a low carbon economy will cost. But it has to be done, obviously.
Living cheap as we do, especially in America, is living in an unsustainable delusion. We live cheap at the expense of the rest of the world.
Turns out fair, environmentally friendly and non-exploitative conditions aren't cheap. But it's grossly unfair to the rest of the world to suffer for our gains.
It's not cheap, but it has to be done.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
In that case go bio diesel.
Ya know, I did some math and the cost of an EV battery is still cheaper than gas for a regular car (unless you do very little driving).
Internal combustion engines are being rendered obsolete and fossil fuels are expensive, toxic and depleting.
Why keep promoting traditional fuels and engines?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Ya know, I did some math and the cost of an EV battery is still cheaper than gas for a regular car (unless you do very little driving).
Internal combustion engines are being rendered obsolete and fossil fuels are expensive, toxic and depleting.
Why keep promoting traditional fuels and engines?
Until evs get on par or surpass fossil fuel, I'm not on board with it. Mostly with some exceptions.

Actually bio diesel has great potentialcand is far more environmentally friendly.

It also might make you hungry to boot. Your exhaust might smell like French fries.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Until evs get on par or surpass fossil fuel, I'm not on board with it. Mostly with some exceptions.
They are on par and have surpassed regular cars. They are more energy efficient, they use less energy and they're fast.
It also might make you hungry to boot. Your exhaust might smell like French fries.
The smell of that grease tends is not appealing. And, again, why keep up with it? It pollutes heavily. It's limited in supply. It's expensive. And being dependent on fossil fuels in today's world is a problem. Just think back to how gas prices shot up when Putin invaded Ukraine and the world oil supply was disrupted. Australia even highlighted such issues of foriegn dependence as a national security issue (because it makes it too easy for a foriegn and potentially hostile nation to push them and make demands of them).

Heyo

Veteran Member
Actually bio diesel has great potentialcand is far more environmentally friendly.
Bio diesel from oil seeds (usually rape seed) and ethanol use arable land, lots of it. If you replace all fossil fuel with them you may grow hungry - because you don't have anything to eat.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Bio diesel from oil seeds (usually rape seed) and ethanol use arable land, lots of it. If you replace all fossil fuel with them you may grow hungry - because you don't have anything to eat.
It also is a useable resource from restaurants

With the endless love for fast food, it's essentially a limitless supply.

Heyo

Veteran Member
It also is a useable resource from restaurants

With the endless love for fast food, it's essentially a limitless supply.
Used deep fry oil actually is an interesting resource as may be oil from algae. But it will still be a niche product. It may seem as there were "limitless" fast food restaurants, but they can only serve a fraction of a percent of diesel engines. Oh, and you need a special engine.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Trump simply leveled the playing field; tit for tat, to encourage companies to come home, instead of linger abroad, due to the bad trade policies of the world union, Democrats.
A great many Dems, including Biden, also wanted to move more production back into the States, Matter of fact, when Biden gave his State of the Union speech proposing to build our own chips, all the congressional Pubs sat on their thumbs.

I believe in climate change, but natural climate change.
Thus, you are ignoring the overwhelming consensus of climate scientists, whereas they have suplied proof of this recent trend and that's it's being pushed by higher levels of CO2 and methane gas. Possible other factors have been discounted.

This natural earth cycle controlled the hurricane season, not the fear of Mobil and Exon or the carbon credit scam. How many time do these experts, get to get it wrong, before we dismiss them?
Predicting hurricanes has always been a turkey-shoot, so to use that as an excuse to discredit the scientists on this is very lame, to say the least.

Botton line: the smart thing to do is to go by the science, not the politicians and their media, regardless of party.