• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

EU CONDEMNS IRAN-ISLAMPHOBIA!

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Ultimately this isn't about freedom but about dictating what women ought to wear. There are women who are happy to wear a veil, there are some that don't and some in between. Governments whether they enact compulsory dress codes or other governments call for freedom still amounts to dictating what women should do. EU essentially isn't saying give women a choice is not (in my opinion) about complete autonomy, its about essentially, and slowly westernizing cultures.

The statement specifically endorsed freedom of choice for women. Nowhere did it condemn hijab itself but rather the lack of choice in Iran.

I love how you write novels on how everyone should unwaveringly condemn racism but then turn around and act as a culturally relativistic apologist for sexist oppression in other countries. I can only wonder how you'd react if someone similarly tried to excuse racism in the U.S. as simply being the culture of another country.

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
The statement specifically endorsed freedom of choice for women. Nowhere did it condemn hijab itself but rather the lack of choice in Iran.

I love how you write novels on how everyone should unwaveringly condemn racism but then turn around and act as a culturally relativistic apologist for sexist oppression in other countries. I can only wonder how you'd react if someone similarly tried to excuse racism in the U.S. as simply being the culture of another country.

Well for the simple fact that the EU previously held the position that jobs are allowed to ban religious symbols (See: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.aljazeera.com/amp/indepth/features/2017/03/eu-hijab-ruling-affect-muslim-women-170316073040916.html). Because of this, it is my belief that because widely the idea from both feminists and right wing that Islamic dress most specifically the Hijab, Niqab, or Burka are believed to be symbols of oppression, they seek to unsurp Islamic attire entirely.

Now Iran has a compulsory law regarding clothing I disagree with it. Women ought to wear what want to wear and let God decide who the sinner is. But as an observer I can only hold that belief, and worry about what’s going on in my own country.

I’m not in the business of dictating what cultures ought to do like the EU.

Last edited by a moderator: