• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

EU CONDEMNS IRAN-ISLAMPHOBIA!

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
Precisely, it's quite shameful to see in all honesty. We really don't need another america in the pool of america-juniors. EU needs to respect the customs of other countries.
I agree. Both should not impose on each other.

So let women follow Western culture in the West and women follow Islam culture in the Islam World.

You agree with that? (Means unveiled for Muslim women in Holland)

shmogie

A few days ago the EU adopted a joint resolution condemning Iran and its treatment of women.
"The European Parliament resolution “condemns in the strongest terms the ongoing repression of women for objecting to compulsory veiling and for exercising their rights to freedom of expression, association and peaceful assembly; calls on the Iranian Government to respect the freedom of Iranian women to choose their own dress code.” Texts adopted - Iran, notably the situation of women's rights defenders and imprisoned EU dual nationals - Thursday, 19 September 2019

But is this really an act of Islamophobia? By way of example, no one ever filed a resolution with the United Nations concerning the Jim Crow treatment of Black Americans. Has the EU gone overboard in condemning the social practices of other countries? I would suggest that this is Islamophobia at its best!
Anything Muslims don´t like becomes Islamaphobia, the old whine.

What does the absence of an action in one body have to do with an action in another body ?

When the social practices of any country deny basic human rights, then they should be called out.

Islam as practiced by many treats women poorly, as chattel. Iran does. They deserve every bit of condemnation they get.

exchemist

Veteran Member
In the West feminism was needed to give women their long overdue respect. So this is needed in Middle East too. They are just a (few) centuries behind.

But it will happen, because Truth must prevail
Yes. This is why I am strong supporter of education for women in all these places. I am convinced that once the women are educated the same as the men, a lot of this will start to get sorted out. But it won't be a quick process.

Shiranui117

Pronounced Shee-ra-noo-ee
Premium Member
Ultimately this isn't about freedom but about dictating what women ought to wear. There are women who are happy to wear a veil, there are some that don't and some in between. Governments whether they enact compulsory dress codes or other governments call for freedom still amounts to dictating what women should do. EU essentially isn't saying give women a choice is not (in my opinion) about complete autonomy, its about essentially, and slowly westernizing cultures.
No, it's about freedom. It's about the fact that women don't have the ability to choose what they want to wear. Sure, plenty of Iranian women want to wear the traditional garb. But many want to dress more like Westerners, too, and these women don't have the freedom to do it.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
You may have a long wait. Ask yourself what sort of muslims are likely to visit a forum like this one.
But I suppose I may be pleasantly surprised.
We've had a few honest and frank ones in the past advocating proper dress and veil who laid it out as they saw it.

If I remember correctly, one, I would think a traditionalist, was a poster called, Sword of Islam whom doesn't seem to come up on the register anymore and had stopped posting a bit while back.

shmogie

No, it's about freedom. It's about the fact that women don't have the ability to choose what they want to wear. Sure, plenty of Iranian women want to wear the traditional garb. But many want to dress more like Westerners, too, and these women don't have the freedom to do it.
Photo´s taken in Iran during the time of the Shah show women, many drop dead gorgeous, wearing the most stylish of clothes for the time.

Very few look like they are wearing trash bags.

I have no reason to believe their tastes have changed, just the taste of the men who control their lives.

stvdv

A few days ago the EU adopted a joint resolution condemning Iran and its treatment of women.
"The European Parliament resolution “condemns in the strongest terms the ongoing repression of women for objecting to compulsory veiling and for exercising their rights to freedom of expression, association and peaceful assembly; calls on the Iranian Government to respect the freedom of Iranian women to choose their own dress code.”
Good post. Thank you.

Rubbish, this is the EU doing what it should be doing promoting equal rights for all.
So true

Wouldn't that be cultural imperialism?
You miss the key here

Maybe the picture is not clear yet:
Mandatory scarf in Iran has nothing to do with the old Islam culture, because it started in 1979, after the Iranian revolution and the installation of Ayatollah Khomeini as Supreme Leader (see quote and spoiler below).

From the news (see link in spoiler):
The mandatory headscarf, or hijab, has been in place in Iran since 1979.

More than 50% are against headscarf in Iran (already for many years).

Over the years, hundreds of thousands of Iranian women have protested against the law.

Iran arrests 29 women for not wearing hijab in protests

e81b05297d4f42d0b62e388bda843fda_18.jpg

NEWS /HIJAB
upload_2019-9-22_5-48-5.jpeg

Women removed their headscarves in public in protest of Iran's compulsory law.

02 Feb 2018 GMT+3
Iran has cracked down on women violating its compulsory headscarf decree, arresting at least 29 individuals, according to Iranian media, and drawing criticism from activists and rights groups.

Tasnim news agency reported on Friday that 29 women had been arrested, and quoted Tehran police as saying that the detainees were arrested for "disturbing public security".

It was unclear where else arrests had been made, as protests have spread from the capital to other areas, including the ancient cities of Esfahan and Shiraz.

The mandatory headscarf, or hijab, has been in place in Iran since 1979, after the Iranian revolution and the installation of Ayatollah Khomeini as Supreme Leader.

Over the years, hundreds of thousands of Iranian women have protested against the law.

In recent weeks, following a new wave of protests in the country, women renewed their opposition to the law, taking off their hijabs in public and waving them on wooden sticks like flags.

Holly Dagres, an Iranian-American analyst, said Iranian authorities are "very much aware" that more than half of the population is against wearing the hijab.

"It's evident by the fact that the morality police are on constant patrol of the streets of major cities like Tehran," Dagres told Al Jazeera.

"Authorities know that if they don't crack down, Iranian women will continue to test the boundaries of what they can and cannot wear."

Dagres said that more arrests were likely to spur solidarity with the campaign.

Last edited:

stvdv

"The European Parliament resolution “condemns in the strongest terms the ongoing repression of women for objecting to compulsory veiling and for exercising their rights to freedom of expression, association and peaceful assembly; calls on the Iranian Government to respect the freedom of Iranian women to choose their own dress code.”
It's not just dress code.
It's the whole dressing on top of the dress code

It has to do with subdue women.

Muslim men should be submissive to Allah, they should not subdue women. People lacking Self-control tend to control and dominate others. And as they are weak (no Self control) they pick on physical weaker ones.

1) Women are NOT free to dress
2) Women get 55 years violating dress code
3) Women get raped and blamed when raped when they violate dress code

Muslim men (in the Mosque I was) , told me, that women need to follow Islam dress code, because otherwise the Muslim men cannot control their sex drive and feel the uncontrollable urge to do their 'thing'. And they even blame a woman for being raped if she violated dress code (some Imams say the same).

We don't talk about dress code here
We talk about hypocritical men, who claim to be spiritual (Imams even) but can't control their sexual impulses, and blaming women even for it (and all of this in the year 2019 !!!)

Spirituality:
1) Do not hurt others/women (NO rape)
1) Control sex urge
2) Control food + other desires
3) Then spiritual life is about to start

Stanyon

WWMRD?
Maybe the picture is not clear yet:
Mandatory scarf in Iran has nothing to do with the old Islam culture, because it started in 1979, after the Iranian revolution and the installation of Ayatollah Khomeini as Supreme Leader (see quote and spoiler below).

From the news (see link in spoiler):

e81b05297d4f42d0b62e388bda843fda_18.jpg

NEWS /HIJABView attachment 33081

Women removed their headscarves in public in protest of Iran's compulsory law.

02 Feb 2018 GMT+3
Iran has cracked down on women violating its compulsory headscarf decree, arresting at least 29 individuals, according to Iranian media, and drawing criticism from activists and rights groups.

Tasnim news agency reported on Friday that 29 women had been arrested, and quoted Tehran police as saying that the detainees were arrested for "disturbing public security".

It was unclear where else arrests had been made, as protests have spread from the capital to other areas, including the ancient cities of Esfahan and Shiraz.

The mandatory headscarf, or hijab, has been in place in Iran since 1979, after the Iranian revolution and the installation of Ayatollah Khomeini as Supreme Leader.

In recent weeks, following a new wave of protests in the country, women renewed their opposition to the law, taking off their hijabs in public and waving them on wooden sticks like flags.

Holly Dagres, an Iranian-American analyst, said Iranian authorities are "very much aware" that more than half of the population is against wearing the hijab.

"It's evident by the fact that the morality police are on constant patrol of the streets of major cities like Tehran," Dagres told Al Jazeera.

"Authorities know that if they don't crack down, Iranian women will continue to test the boundaries of what they can and cannot wear."

Dagres said that more arrests were likely to spur solidarity with the campaign.

Which still does not justify the EU condemnation, maybe some EU countries should invade Iran and impose Western values upon them whether they want it or not?

stvdv

But it's still some members of the EU attempting to impose western judgement on an entirely different culture.
There is something called:
International human rights law lays down obligations which States are bound to respect.

stvdv

Which are largely ignored by more than a few United Nations member states.
Exactly, that's why I said that EU is justified to condemn what they do.

If some members ignore Law does not change that

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
"The European Parliament resolution “condemns in the strongest terms the ongoing repression of women for objecting to compulsory veiling and for exercising their rights to freedom of expression, association and peaceful assembly; calls on the Iranian Government to respect the freedom of Iranian women to choose their own dress code.” Texts adopted - Iran, notably the situation of women's rights defenders and imprisoned EU dual nationals - Thursday, 19 September 2019

But is this really an act of Islamophobia? By way of example, no one ever filed a resolution with the United Nations concerning the Jim Crow treatment of Black Americans. Has the EU gone overboard in condemning the social practices of other countries? I would suggest that this is Islamophobia at its best!
What's the meaning of this? Have they passed a resolution condemning Saudi Arabia? Or is this just more globalist dog-piling on Iran?