• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Etopic pregnancy and Live Infant

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/they/it/neopronouns
Not: this is not a debate section. I know there's political issues regarding abortion and such but that's not what I'm discussing. Go make your own thread about abortion and such if you wish to discuss that. I just found this fascinating and wanted to share.

I found this:
Herein we report on a case of advanced abdominal pregnancy in a Gravida-III Abortion-II mother who presented with worsening abdominal pain of 1 week duration associated with fetal movement and managed successfully with an outcome of a live neonate and no maternal complication.

Conclusion​

A live neonate from term abdominal pregnancy is a rare occurrence. Early diagnosis of abdominal pregnancy is crucial to avoid potentially catastrophic maternal complications even though our patient, fortunately, has a smooth postoperative course. A high level of suspicion combined with ultrasound is helpful in reaching a diagnosis. Skill advancement for radiologists and non-radiology professionals involved in obstetric ultrasound is recommended to avoid misdiagnosis, as in our case. Careful post-operative evaluation is important to look for maternal and fetal complications.

Basically a baby and their mom survived an etopic pregnancy. This is extremely rare. For one most etopic pregnancies are in the fallopian tubes not the abdomen. According to the link 0.6–4% etopic pregnacies are abdominal. Most are fatal even if abdominal. I just found all this fascinating. I didnt even know etopic pregnancies could be abdominal. It just amazes me reading this case.

VoidCat

I wonder what long term birth defects will this child likely have if any?

libre

Skylark
In the off chance they grow up and read this forum one day, I bet they're perfectly normal and perhaps even our lord and saviour come back to us.

VoidCat

In the off chance they grow up and read this forum one day, I bet they're perfectly normal and perhaps even our lord and saviour come back to us.
They'll likely have birth defects.

*sighs* I wish abortion wasn't a political issue.. It really is a fascinating case. I like reading about stuff like unusual pregnacies and births...

Edit: im not a christian. I'm also not anti abortion. The reason im posting this is cuz it's interesting.

Last edited:

VoidCat

According to the link i posted
Fetal mortality in abdominal pregnancy remains high, 40% to 90%.7 Birth defects are seen in 21% of surviving babies born after an abdominal pregnancy, assumed to be secondary to compression of the fetus in the absence of the amniotic fluid buffer.5 Improved fetal outcome is reported if there is placental attachment to the uterus.7,17 In our case, the placenta was getting its supply from the tubal branch of the uterine artery and that may have contributed to the advancement of the pregnancy to term. In addition, there was skeletal deformity of the foot bilaterally (positional calcaneovalgus feet) which is expected in the presence of oligohydramnios

So there was some birth defects reading said link more throughly. Im having to reread it a bit because of how tired I am.

VoidCat

Im trying to understand from the link how abdominal etopic pregnacies occur. I dont really understand how that happens. I know how it happens with the fallopian tubes. But not abdominal. Like why would it attach there...

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
OK so there's a 79 percent chance of no fetal abnormalities, thank goodness if the infant survives, which is questionable.. There was a slight defect in one foot of the infant, however. Goodness. I am amazed that this infant survived to be honest.

Kathryn

Same. Like I've never heard of any etopic pregnancies carried to live term and by what I can tell as a layman the child should not have survived.
Thank you for posting this. It's very interesting to me.

Kathryn

Same. Like I've never heard of any etopic pregnancies carried to live term and by what I can tell as a layman the child should not have survived.
And apparently there was a 60 to 10 percent chance it would (don't know the details so I can't speculate). Who would have ever thought it? I bet that mom was high risk.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Hopefully minimal. Perhaps a little physical therapy for her feet. She was about four and a half pounds. That was close to full term. I remember reading that men could bear a child in the same way. I will see if I can find anything on it.

VoidCat

And apparently there was a 60 to 10 percent chance it would (don't know the details so I can't speculate). Who would have ever thought it? I bet that mom was high risk.
According to the link
The maternal mortality rate is very high, particularly with late diagnosis (beyond 20 weeks of gestation). It is estimated to be in the range of 1–18%.15,16 Maternal death can result from spontaneous separation of the placenta causing massive hemorrhage, shock, and multiple organ failure. Manual extraction of the placenta can also result in uncontrollable massive bleeding leading to maternal death. The placenta should be removed only if the procedure will not endanger the blood supply to the organ to which it is attached. Otherwise, leaving the placenta in situ is preferable with follow-up on ultrasound and human chorionic gonadotrophic level.4 In the current case, the placenta was attached to the tube with a narrow pedicle without involvement of the nearby structures and it was easily removed without damage or significant blood loss.

Hopefully minimal. Perhaps a little physical therapy for her feet. She was about four and a half pounds. That was close to full term. I remember reading that men could bear a child in the same way. I will see if I can find anything on it.
Please do. I would love to read it

Kathryn

Did you know that back in the day (before people knew to wash their hands before operating or delivering a baby!) that the maternal death rate was about 20 percent????