• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ethnic Cleansing In Syria

sooda

Veteran Member
Saudi is into supporting Sunnis at the expense of Iran. If that means supporting Sunni extremist then so be it.

Augustus, you have it all wrong.. KSA has never bothered with Iran.. Iran has always dogged KSA. They want a foothold on the Arabian Peninsula..

Qatar shared the south Pars oil field with Iran and they want a pipeline across Syria.. KSA doesn't need a pipeline across Syria.. They have the East -West pipeline.. Plus, Saudi Arabia already did that in 1950 with a pipeline from Ghawar to Sidon.. Syria was always so unstable that the sabotage wasn't worth it.

Iran hates the Saudis because Iran has had nothing but trouble and conflict first with the British as far back as 1921..and really they have a far richer history going back to ancient Persia than the Saudis.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
cash1.jpeg

The regime of Iran-backed Syrian dictator Bashar al-Assad has engaged in a systematic campaign of ethnically cleansing Sunnis from the capital of Damascus, in order to strengthen Assad’s hold on his strife-torn country and realize Iran’s ambition of creating a Shiite crescent in the Middle East, an analysis published Thursday by the Washington Institute for Near East Policy asserted.

Hanin Ghaddar, a fellow of the institute and a veteran Lebanese journalist, observed that Assad’s forces captured the largely Sunni suburb of Daraya in August after convincing 8,000 residents to leave.

The remaining residents surrendered following intense bombardment and denial of access to food and medical needs. Ghaddar called the regime’s tactics “starve or surrender,” and noted that following the surrender of Daraya, the regime targeted two more Sunni areas with threats of “total war” if they did not surrender.

Now, she wrote, “Assad seems to be moving from ‘starve or surrender’ to ‘war or surrender’ tactics in order to eliminate any Sunni presence around Damascus as soon as possible.”

Ghaddar predicted that this campaign will continue, with Sunnis living in other areas around Damascus being forced out as well.

They may be replaced by Shiites in an effort to change the religious balance of the area: Arab media have reported this week that some 300 Shiite families from Iraq have been resettled in the emptied Damascus suburbs and given $2,000 each, Ghaddar wrote. The transfer was allegedly supervised by one of the Iraqi Shiite militias that works closely with Iran.

Bashar al-Assad’s father and predecessor Hafez did something similar during his rule, moving Alawites — the sect to which the Assads belong — into Damascus and the surrounding areas as a means of solidifying his rule. “Bashar,” Ghaddar noted, “now appears to be escalating his father’s strategy into the realm of ethnic cleansing.”

continued

Expert: Assad, Helped by Iran, Ethnically Cleansing Damascus Area of Sunnis - The Tower

Hitler claimed he was a Christian, John Garang called himself a Christian Marxist and Assad slaughters families with thousands of Barrel bombs.

Civil war isn't pretty. The US had its own civil war. I don't know if we should have left the nation divided but the North won so here we are united. Might makes right.

sooda

Veteran Member
Civil war isn't pretty. The US had its own civil war. I don't know if we should have left the nation divided but the North won so here we are united. Might makes right.

Syria was a failed state before the civil war broke out.... and nothing has changed. Assad thinks he going to rebuild Syria with other people's money.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Syria was a failed state before the civil war broke out.... and nothing has changed. Assad thinks he going to rebuild Syria with other people's money.

Ok, if he can he can. No nation exists who can't defend its borders. I only know a little about Syria but no nation has failed until it ceases to exist IMO. I doubt any nation will last forever but folks hold onto it as long as they can. Maybe someday all of the nations will be gone but right now everyone seems to have one or want one.

sooda

Veteran Member
Ok, if he can he can. No nation exists who can't defend its borders. I only know a little about Syria but no nation has failed until it ceases to exist IMO. I doubt any nation will last forever but folks hold onto it as long as they can. Maybe someday all of the nations will be gone but right now everyone seems to have one or want one.

The oil sector and the agriculture sector had failed before the war. Inflation and unemployment were off the charts.. and sectarian strife had increased.

Now they have ruined infrastructure and kids who haven't been immunized or been in school for 8 years. More than a third of their population is dead or in exile.

Ellen Brown

They probably were fishermen from Khobar or Dammam... Both were small fishing villages.

Funny that he claimed the Sunnis took the oil. Shia's dominate the oil industry in Al Hasa. In fact, the president of ARAMCO and later oil Minister Ali Naimi was Shia.

The problem in Syria is that Akutan Volcano, Akutan Island, Alaska are/were above the law.

That is confusing. I had PMd back and forth with a woman who was apparently familiar with the situation, and she said the farmers were asking for help with the drought and Asad's forces started shooting. So sad.

sooda

Veteran Member
That is confusing. I had PMd back and forth with a woman who was apparently familiar with the situation, and she said the farmers were asking for help with the drought and Asad's forces started shooting. So sad.

After 5 years of drought Syria was a dust bowl and they don't have much arable land as it is.

The schoolboys had written graffiti on the wall of a school house.. Assad had them arrested and kept them in custody until some of their bodies were found in the street.

Parents tried to get their little boys released to their custody and they were told, "have more sons".

By 2014 Assad had dropped 13000 barrel bombs on civilian neighborhoods.

Ellen Brown

After 5 years of drought Syria was a dust bowl and they don't have much arable land as it is.

The schoolboys had written graffiti on the wall of a school house.. Assad had them arrested and kept them in custody until some of their bodies were found in the street.

Parents tried to get their little boys released to their custody and they were told, "have more sons".

By 2014 Assad had dropped 13000 barrel bombs on civilian neighborhoods.

I probably should not comment on a situation I don't understand. They can kill Bin Laden, but not Assad? Apparently both he and his wife were from the UK? You'd think they would have learned some measure of civility.

sooda

Veteran Member
I probably should not comment on a situation I don't understand. They can kill Bin Laden, but not Assad? Apparently both he and his wife were from the UK? You'd think they would have learned some measure of civility.

I was really hopeful when Bashar took office.. I thought like you.. he's a doctor.

But then I watched an hour long interview in last 2012 .. He was so vague and passive.. as if he was on Valium... And he didn't deny the atrocities, he just said he didn't do that, the government did.

Ellen Brown

I was really hopeful when Bashar took office.. I thought like you.. he's a doctor.

But then I watched an hour long interview in last 2012 .. He was so vague and passive.. as if he was on Valium... And he didn't deny the atrocities, he just said he didn't do that, the government did.

Yes, Opthamologist, I think? I suppose it is possible that he's a mere figurehead? So, I wonder who the power in Syria is? They seem bent on destroying the country.

Some of the best modest clothing used to be made there. Shukr was one. I understand nothing about this.

sooda

Veteran Member
Yes, Opthamologist, I think? I suppose it is possible that he's a mere figurehead? So, I wonder who the power in Syria is? They seem bent on destroying the country.

Some of the best modest clothing used to be made there. Shukr was one. I understand nothing about this.

A lot of people say that Bashar is not the power.. That his younger brother controls the military and the police.. His uncles are also know to be treacherous hardliners. Some who should know say if Bashar stepped down his family would kill him.

Ellen Brown

A lot of people say that Bashar is not the power.. That his younger brother controls the military and the police.. His uncles are also know to be treacherous hardliners. Some who should know say if Bashar stepped down his family would kill him.

This is so sad.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I think there are unscrupulous people who "work" the differences for their own advantage.
Definitely.

Knowing that, however, does not do much to solve what sure seem to be inherent and serious problems on Islaam itself.

The Shia/Sunni split is certainly problematic, but something very similar to it was probably unavoidable from the moment that Islaam began to be taken seriously, during Muhammad's life even. It is a direct consequence of the gap between the certainties promised by the Qur'an and the reality of its own biases and contradictions.

As people attempt to make sense of the perceived flaws of the doctrine in order to apply it in everyday life, some form of answer must be provided. And unavoidably, different people will conceive divergent answers.

Unfortunately for us all, it just turns out that the Qur'an has very significant effects on political motivation that can't be easily discarded while still honoring the Qur'an itself.

sooda

Veteran Member

KSA has provided material aid to Yemen since the 1960s which would include building hospitals, schools, colleges, clinics, food, gasoline, medicine and job creation.

Since 1998 when Al Qaeda began moving in to Yemen there have been serious threats like the bombing of the USS Cole. In the past 15 years Boko Haram, al Houthis and now ISIS have also moved into Yemen.

Last time I was there the Saudis had moved a bunch of their villages back from the border 20 kilometers.

Since then the Houthis have overthrown the government with Iranian support.. Iran wants to control Yemen and Socotra Island. .. which would give them control of shipping thru Bab al Mandab.

KSA has provided material aid to Yemen since the 1960s which would include building hospitals, schools, colleges, clinics, food, gasoline, medicine and job creation.

Since 1998 when Al Qaeda began moving in to Yemen there have been serious threats like the bombing of the USS Cole. In the past 15 years Boko Haram, al Houthis and now ISIS have also moved into Yemen.

Last time I was there the Saudis had moved a bunch of their villages back from the border 20 kilometers.

Since then the Houthis have overthrown the government with Iranian support.. Iran wants to control Yemen and Socotra Island. .. which would give them control of shipping thru Bab al Mandab.

Doesn't say much for the Saudis not being bothered with Iran though.

sooda

Veteran Member
Doesn't say much for the Saudis not being bothered with Iran though.

The Saudis are not the aggressors in Yemen. Yemen has always been pretty dangerous .. Outside Sana is lawless. Most kidnapping for ransom all during the 1980s and 90s didn't end up with dead people unless something went wrong.

Currently the country is overrun with all sorts of jihadi groups. Its a shame.. Their oil sector is collapsed and over 500 factories have closed. That suits Iran just fine.

The Saudis are not the aggressors in Yemen. Yemen has always been pretty dangerous .. Outside Sana is lawless. Most kidnapping for ransom all during the 1980s and 90s didn't end up with dead people unless something went wrong.

Currently the country is overrun with all sorts of jihadi groups. Its a shame.. Their oil sector is collapsed and over 500 factories have closed. That suits Iran just fine.

Why is it so difficult for you to acknowledge that Saudi is, in fact, a rival of Iran and is concerned about what it does?

Based on released US documentation:

We learn that King Abdullah of Saudi Arabia repeatedly urged the U.S. to attack Iran: "Cut off the head of the snake" before it is too late.

WikiLeaks and Iran