1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ethics

Discussion in 'General Debates' started by Rex, Aug 12, 2004.

1. Rex

Rex Founder

Ratings:
    +374
    Religion:
    I won't tell
    How would you define your ethics (moral values) ? Did they just appear? Were you born with them? Did you learn them? Did religion teach you them?

Where do they come from....

• Like Like x 1
  2. Lightkeeper

Lightkeeper Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +223
    I have high moral values and ethics. I learned some from my parents, but mine are actually higher than theirs. I learned some from religion, but mostly it seems to come from within me. I also know that what you put out is likely to come back to you. Good ethics and morals makes for a very soft boomerang.

3. Green Gaia

Green Gaia Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +1,925
    That's hard to answer. I don't know. I would like to say I have a high peronsal standard of ethics.
    No. Most evolved over a period of time (and are still evolving as I age and learn), from research, soul searching, and reason.
    No, I don't believe so.

Of course... some of them. It's hard not to learn some values and ethics from parents, teachers, others...

Absolutely not. In fact, I went looking for a religion that reflected my ethics and morals because the religion I grew up in did not meet my standard of ethics or hold the same value of morals.

Many different sources. For me, my parents and family were/are an influence, but I do hold different moral values than they, so some of my ethics came from what is imporant to me and what I feel is imporant to hold to a higher standard. And no, I do not hold any one else to this standard, only me.

4. trishtrish10

trishtrish10 Active Member

Ratings:
    +1
    i was taught morals(right from wrong), although some came from within. ethics(traditions) i learned from peers, family, self, government, schools, religion, etc.

5. Ceridwen018

Ceridwen018 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +399
    I learned mine from my parents, school and society. I took what I learned and fashioned it into a set of morals that fits me personally.