• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ethics

Rex

Founder
How would you define your ethics (moral values) ? Did they just appear? Were you born with them? Did you learn them? Did religion teach you them?

Where do they come from....

Lightkeeper

I have high moral values and ethics. I learned some from my parents, but mine are actually higher than theirs. I learned some from religion, but mostly it seems to come from within me. I also know that what you put out is likely to come back to you. Good ethics and morals makes for a very soft boomerang.

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
Rex_Admin said:
How would you define your ethics (moral values) ?
That's hard to answer. I don't know. I would like to say I have a high peronsal standard of ethics.
Did they just appear?
No. Most evolved over a period of time (and are still evolving as I age and learn), from research, soul searching, and reason.
Were you born with them?
No, I don't believe so.

Did you learn them?
Of course... some of them. It's hard not to learn some values and ethics from parents, teachers, others...

Did religion teach you them?
Absolutely not. In fact, I went looking for a religion that reflected my ethics and morals because the religion I grew up in did not meet my standard of ethics or hold the same value of morals.

Where do they come from....
Many different sources. For me, my parents and family were/are an influence, but I do hold different moral values than they, so some of my ethics came from what is imporant to me and what I feel is imporant to hold to a higher standard. And no, I do not hold any one else to this standard, only me.

trishtrish10

i was taught morals(right from wrong), although some came from within. ethics(traditions) i learned from peers, family, self, government, schools, religion, etc.

Ceridwen018

I learned mine from my parents, school and society. I took what I learned and fashioned it into a set of morals that fits me personally.