• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ethics, Morals, and Philosophy ... or should I say Life

ZenMonkey

St. James VII
things you can only do within 'reach' of your consciousness. we have limited 'reach' in terms if actions, people work and pay taxes to government while their government use taxes to hurt others, what can you do? it is in most cases beyond our 'reach'.
Live your life and find happiness best you're able I guess. Not worry too much about others, and stay true to you would another suggestion. I think in terms of satisfaction, both personal and societal. But ... when society sometimes disagrees with my personal I tend to brush it off and do what I do anyway. I think some get so bent on stopping this that or the other, or combating this this or the other, or attacking and disagreeing with this that or the other that they lose sight of what's truly important ... Themselves and they're own happiness.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I'm thinking more along the lines of personal decisions and/or lifestyles. Say someone is a stripper and you don't like it because you think they're wrong and it makes you feel bad ... either for them or you or their families or whatever. I'm alluding to coming to terms with who people are and their life choices and instead of judging life choices to rather accept that it's part of life and not your business, particularly when they aren't hurting, harming, or damaging anyone or anything aside from those who might think or view what they do as immoral or wrong. I guess it comes down to this question: Why do we judge others? Here's another one: What good does judging others do?
Its not about judging others, but seeing action as immoral or morally good. So if I was a place where suddenly there was an act of stripping, I would not judge the person who strips, but I would choose to leave the place because stripping is immoral for me to watch.

ZenMonkey

St. James VII
Its not about judging others, but seeing action as immoral or morally good. So if I was a place where suddenly there was an act of stripping, I would not judge the person who strips, but I would choose to leave the place because stripping is immoral for me to watch.

I would prefer having specific places for things like this. You know, a community acceptance and understanding. If you don't like or enjoy ... don't go. I enjoy them myself, but then I always have.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I would prefer having specific places for things like this. You know, a community acceptance and understanding. If you don't like or enjoy ... don't go. I enjoy them myself, but then I always have.
I don`t take part or go to places I know immoral will happen. so I live a very quiet life. Family is more important to me than being out doing things I would regret later. But what others do is their choice :)

Earthtank

That's what they say right? That's life ... What's ethical what's not ethical? Why should I adopt your morals is I enjoy what you're against? Values ... Do you adopt a positive value system or negative value system and why? I enjoy finding balance but it's not always easy, given social conditioning and cultural differences and what not. Anyway, What would you consider an attack on something ethical? I mean what would you find immoral about life itself? For example: Is casual sex immoral? What about showing more skin than not? What about the art of communication ... like if someone said **** ... would you be offended? What about multiple spouses, or a single spouse for that matter? From what object should we base or moral values and ethics? I guess that's the real question.
Hey Zen,

Interesting post, not that its anything new however, i say that since you are a Christian and i would assume the answer to these questions would be based off your faith. Wouldn't the answer to your questions come from your faith or am i missing something?

ZenMonkey

St. James VII
I don`t take part or go to places I know immoral will happen. so I live a very quiet life. Family is more important to me than being out doing things I would regret later. But what others do is their choice :)

Family is everything if you ask me, but then sometimes we're forced away from them, other times we move on to hang with those we wish to spend more time with intimately ... like spouses. I for one was forced away from my own family, wanted to engage in a relationship, but then it wasn't on the docket, so ... 4 years later here I am ... away from family, no want for that type of relationship, namely due to history and condition of heart and potential disasters waiting to happen. Although I may find what I'm venturing into less possessive it may also be less satisfying ... who can say ... or then again it may be more satisfying, being more pure than something that resembles property or possessions. Instead of a singular relationship I may end up with no relationship aside from those I meet where I am and where I go I would have preferred to stay around family, to engage in a singular type relationship, but again ... I didn't get to make that choice. Where i am was thrust on me and so was the mindset I'm living under at this time. I honor all types of relationships, but I do not subscribe to all types of relationships. Same as you, only on different sides of the fence it seems.

ZenMonkey

St. James VII
Hey Zen,

Interesting post, not that its anything new however, i say that since you are a Christian and i would assume the answer to these questions would be based off your faith. Wouldn't the answer to your questions come from your faith or am i missing something?
I didn't announce myself as a Christian, nor did I imply it, but my roots are Christian. Call me a lifer with Christian roots, who honors the left hand path as well as other paths more suitable for others. I don't have a need to judge what you choose. As far as faith goes, I believe in life and I submit to life, and do the best I can to make the most of my circumstances, which are different than your own I would assume.

How about you? The question was directed towards the board, and not for you to answer for me but rather for yourself. I'm a student and enjoy understanding where people come from. It helps me sympathize when in disagreement.

Earthtank

I didn't announce myself as a Christian

It says "Christian but not like some" in the religion section of your profile but, all good, no need get too hung up on titles.

I believe in life and I submit to life

Sorry, i do not mean for this to seem like i am interrogating you but, would you mind explaining what that means? Because i honestly don't understand it.

which are different than your own I would assume.

Different to what exactly?

ZenMonkey

St. James VII
It says "Christian but not like some" in the religion section of your profile but, all good, no need get too hung up on titles.

Sorry, i do not mean for this to seem like i am interrogating you but, would you mind explaining what that means? Because i honestly don't understand it.

Different to what exactly?
My bad on the sig ... I'm attempting to argue as an atheist, but yeah ... I'm a Christian. Anyway, life ... we have no choice but to submit one way or another. We live we die ... that's life that's God and that's the way I see it. Life is the best teacher I've ever had.