• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ethics:Is Non-veg as wrong as cheating your wife

Metempsychosis

Reincarnation of 'Anti-religion'
I just had a discussion with my friend who said being non-vegetarian is as bad as cheating one's wife.Is this even remotely true ?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
It is neither true nor false.
Tis just one wacko's opinion.
And now you have my wacko opinion too!

Metempsychosis

Reincarnation of 'Anti-religion'
His logic-Eating non-veg ends life of a conscious being but having consensual sex (outside of marriage) do not 'kill' anyone.:eek:

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I'm think if we had 10 actions that were adharmic (sin in Abrahamism) and had 100 people rank them from least to most in terms of adharma or sin, we'd probably get 50 different variations in rankings. So your friend puts breaking vegetarianism right up there. Most people don't, (as compared to adultery) but it's a free country so your friend is free to think what he likes.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
The human digestive system is made to consume meat. We have the teeth of omnivorous, and the stomachs and intestines to prove we are built to eat meat. This is a matter of biological fact.
Cheating on one's partner is dishonesty and is breaking bonds of trust. Although our ideals of holding monogamy to the highest standard is largely to blame, the effects of cheating are psychological and comes with a high probability of having roots in broken lines of communication.
The two are not even comparable.

Horrorble

I wonder how eating meat has anything to do with cheating.
I don't eat meat because it makes me feel sick, I don't want a corpse on my plate. I wear leather shoes which I think is bad but I find it difficult to find shoes I like that are not leather. None of my family are vegetarian, I begun laying off meat when I was ten years old.
Everyone is different some people can kill for their own meat, I couldn't unless it was a life or death situation.
I do take issue with vegetarians who say it is murder.

Horrorble

p.s I also think people assume it is only vegetarians with a preachy attitude, it is not, I have had meat eaters ask me why I am vegetarian not because they actually want to know, but because they want to justify their own diet to me, "WELL I EAT MEAT BECAUSE...THE ANIMAL HAD A GOOD LIFE, SO THERE!!" When I never even implied cared that they eat meat, then they look you up and down and say "well why do you wear leather!?" and I say at least I am doing something you on the other hand are doing nothing.
So sometimes it is meat eaters that want to cause an argument.

His logic-Eating non-veg ends life of a conscious being but having consensual sex (outside of marriage) do not 'kill' anyone.:eek:
What if the person having sex outside of marriage is vegetarian? Does that make up for it? :)

Seriously, though, I can kinda-sorta see his point, but I hesitate to demonize any diet, given that different bodies thrive on different variations thereof. Sex outside of marriage could technically result in serious injury if not outright death – there's the classic scenario of the angry spouse evidently lacking in people-skills who subsequently finds out about the affair.

The human digestive system is made to consume meat. We have the teeth of omnivorous, and the stomachs and intestines to prove we are built to eat meat. This is a matter of biological fact.
Cheating on one's partner is dishonesty and is breaking bonds of trust. Although our ideals of holding monogamy to the highest standard is largely to blame, the effects of cheating are psychological and comes with a high probability of having roots in broken lines of communication. The two are not even comparable.
I agree on how we've been put together makes us omnivorous. In addition, our eyes are placed on the front of our heads, rather than the sides, which is indicative of a predatory species, if I recall correctly. (Though when driving I would've appreciated eyes on the sides of my head as well, to better navigate the sometimes-crazy traffic).

I recently began low-carbing, and the approach I'm using does, admittedly, involve meat (mostly chicken and seafood), healthy fats, and lots of leafy greens (and broccoli ... oh man, the broccoli ♥♥♥....).

Anyhoo, being borderline-diabetic, my body is responding very favorably to this way of eating. It feels amazing!

If I ever do attempt a way of eating that felt truly life-affirming to me personally, it would have to involve not eating anything at all, because no matter what it is, it is life, and would have to die for me to eat it.

Wait ... that won't work either because then I would die. Dang it!!! Who designed this cotton-pickin' system???? :eek: oh right ... nvm ... :eek:

-

Me Myself

Back to my username
With a more serious attitude though.

I do believe in most circumstances it is immoral to eat meat its just the compariso strikes me as very weird.