• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ethical Philosophy Quiz

Here until I storm off again
Premium Member
Where's Rawls? I god John Stuart Mill despite clearly not being utilitarian, I'm Rawlsian.

Eliab ben Benjamin

Premium Member
1. John Stuart Mill (100%)

fade.jpg
2. Jean-Paul Sartre (91%)

fade.jpg
3. Jeremy Bentham (89%)

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
I guess I mostly agree because my religion's ethics are mostly focused on cultivating Virtue throughout your life.

1. Thomas Aquinas (100%)
2. Aristotle (96%)
3. Stoics (90%)

aquinas.jpg

Aquinas (1225 or '27-1274)

• All life has a purpose
  • Meeting this purpose allows one to be happy.
  • Happiness is to be found in the love of God.
  • God's grace providing entrance into heaven creates the highest form of human happiness.
  • Short of heaven, a person can achieve a more limited form of happiness through a life of virtue and friendship.
  • Morality is not determined by the arbitrary will of God.
  • Morality is derived from human nature and the activities that are objectively suited to it.
  • The difference between right and wrong can be appreciated through the use of reason and reflection.
  • Religious reflection may supplement the use of reason and reflection to determine right from wrong.
  • Societies must enact laws to ensure the correct application of moral reasoning.
  • Human nature is good because God made it good.
  • ARISTOTLE2.jpg

Aristotle (384 BC-322 BC)
  • The life of virtue is rewarding for the individual and the community.
  • The essence of a thing does not exist independent of the thing.
  • There is no completely universal idea of "the good."
  • There is an individualized ideal form for all living things.
  • In living in accordance with their true nature, humans will find the most enjoyment out of reasoning.
  • An investigation of human nature can reveal how humans ought to act.
  • Humans have a pre-defined purpose.
  • People can have variations on the best way to exist in order to meet their purpose.
  • The mean between the extremes of any given characteristic is the ideal.
  • The rule of the "Golden Mean" is not to be applied mechanically
  • Aristotle discusses having practical knowledge as being able to have the right means to one's action and the right ends