• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ethical Companies

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I just refinanced a loan secured by a light industrial property with my bank, Old National.
(Knocked the interest rate down from 6.5% to 5%.)
It turns out they're one of the few banks to be rated among the most ethical in the world.
They're my favorite bank & lender, but dang!
Old National Named as a 2017 World's Most Ethical Company by the Ethisphere Institute
Recognition honors those companies who lead with integrity and align principle with action.
  • Old National earns the award for the 6th consecutive year
  • Old National one of only two US banks honored
EVANSVILLE, Ind., March 13, 2017 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Old National Bank (NASDAQ:ONB) has been recognized by the Ethisphere Institute, a global leader in defining and advancing the standards of ethical business practices, as a 2017 World’s Most Ethical Company®.

Of car companies, Ford & Volvo won.
Volkswagen didn't....surprise, surprise!

Last edited:

suncowiam

I just refinanced a loan secured by a light industrial property with my bank, Old National.
It turns out they're one of the few banks to be rated among the most ethical in the world.
Old National Named as a 2017 World's Most Ethical Company by the Ethisphere Institute

Revolt,
You mind me asking your business model with industrial properties? You prefer industrial over residential?

Thanks

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Revolt,
You mind me asking your business model with industrial properties? You prefer industrial over residential?

Thanks
If I had the last couple decades to do over, I'd have stayed in residential because it's more stable.
But industrial is easier to manage because business owners are better tenants than residents.
And the legal environment is safer....people in business want to avoid court, & the laws are more
balanced.

suncowiam

If I had the last couple decades to do over, I'd have stayed in residential because it's more stable.
But industrial is easier to manage because business owners are better tenants than residents.
And the legal environment is safer....people in business want to avoid court, & the laws are more
balanced.

Interesting. Thanks

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Finding a truly ethical company is like finding a diamond in dung.
I've never pawed poop to check for one.
But then, I'm not a dog.
Ethical companies abound, & I prefer to deal with them.
Tis ethics in government which I find rare as hens' teeth.

Guy Threepwood

Mighty Pirate

We see ratings for many things, % organic, recycled, even 'carbon footprints' for corporations to allow people to make their own informed choices.

I think a great idea would be to have an ethical rating based on the level of subsidization - that any company, or product takes from the taxpayer whether you buy it or not..

e.g. Teslas by law should have a large '$5 BILLION' sticker that can't be removed, and also the $ amount per car,

or 'CERTIFIED SUBSIDY FREE' for qualified products

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
We see ratings for many things, % organic, recycled, even 'carbon footprints' for corporations to allow people to make their own informed choices.

I think a great idea would be to have an ethical rating based on the level of subsidization - that any company, or product takes from the taxpayer whether you buy it or not..

e.g. Teslas by law should have a large '$5 BILLION' sticker that can't be removed, and also the $ amount per car,

or 'CERTIFIED SUBSIDY FREE' for qualified products
Aye, I despise the relationship between Tesla & the feds.

Guy Threepwood

Mighty Pirate
Aye, I despise the relationship between Tesla & the feds.

here's hoping that will change?

Glad to hear them axing the great lakes 'clean up' program in the budget, which seemed to sprout hundreds of environmental propaganda signposts in previously pristine natural areas, I don't even want to know what they cost ..

Wu Wei

ursus senum severiorum and ex-Bisy Backson

Not sure how much weight I put on this since Microsoft and Intel are both on the list

Wu Wei

ursus senum severiorum and ex-Bisy Backson
Think how much worse their unlauded competitors must be!

Or possibly how much one must pay to get on the ethical list.... albeit a tad unethical

oh....and what competitors...they bought then all and crushed them

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Or possibly how much one must pay to get on the ethical list.... albeit a tad unethical

oh....and what competitors...they bought then all and crushed them
My inside source says the bank didn't solicit its award.
And they really are the best bank I've ever dealt with.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I've never pawed poop to check for one.
But then, I'm not a dog.
Ethical companies abound, & I prefer to deal with them.
Tis ethics in government which I find rare as hens' teeth.
I've found ethical big business is pretty close to a total oxymoron given all the scandals that have happened in the past few years. And I've been ripped off by small businesses. I have had almost no trouble dealing with Medicare and Social Security by contrast.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I've found ethical big business is pretty close to a total oxymoron given all the scandals that have happened in the past few years. And I've been ripped off by small businesses. I have had almost no trouble dealing with Medicare and Social Security by contrast.
Your experience differs from mine.
While you find'm all bad, I deal with a mixture...some good....some bad.
And when some are wonderful, I'll sing their praises.
My bank is much more customer friendly than any arm of government I've ever dealt with.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Your experience differs from mine.
While you find'm all bad, I deal with a mixture...some good....some bad.
And when some are wonderful, I'll sing their praises.
My bank is much more customer friendly than any arm of government I've ever dealt with.
To me it's not the institution but the person. I've worked with very helpful people in the biggest bureaucracies both private and public and with obstructionists in both as well.

There was a classic example for me a couple of months ago. I went to the DMV to deal with an issue. The first person I talked to gave me a hard time. I waited until she was busy and tried another person who was totally helpful. Same place, same issue, two different people.

Quite a while ago I had a bank example. I took two statements into the bank showing they had processed the same check twice. I was met with hostile skepticism in spite of having documentary proof in the form of their statements right in front of the guy's eyes.

The difference I've found is that in many instances it's in the business's interest as they see it to shaft me and they have created structures which support that. The banking crises almost a decade ago was a classic example along with robosigning.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
To me it's not the institution but the person. I've worked with very helpful people in the biggest bureaucracies both private and public and with obstructionists in both as well.

There was a classic example for me a couple of months ago. I went to the DMV to deal with an issue. The first person I talked to gave me a hard time. I waited until she was busy and tried another person who was totally helpful. Same place, same issue, two different people.

Quite a while ago I had a bank example. I took two statements into the bank showing they had processed the same check twice. I was met with hostile skepticism in spite of having documentary proof in the form of their statements right in front of the guy's eyes.

The difference I've found is that in many instances it's in the business's interest as they see it to shaft me and they have created structures which support that. The banking crises almost a decade ago was a classic example along with robosigning.
I've dealt with banks that I found heinous.
The worst ever was RBC (Royal Bank of Scotland), which is owned by the British government.
I became their foe because they bought a bank I borrowed from. Avoid'm like the plague.
My bank, Old National, is local. Every person in it whom I deal with (about a dozen), is friendly,
helpful, & works in my best interest. They really excel at lending.

I have many good experiences with businesses because I seek out & patronize the good ones.
One creates one's own luck by intent & design.

Btw, you know you're adding to the quality of my thread by posting as you do?
I'm subverting your experience & perspective toward my own goals.
Boooowhwhahahahahahahahahhaha, etc!