• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

eternal universe?

gnostic

The Lost One
Do you think or believe the universe is eternal or not?

Do you think the initial expansion (big bang) is the beginning of the universe? Or do you think the universe predate this point Iin time?

Which or what physical cosmological model do you accept if it is not the big bang model?

Please explain your position...

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member

Do you think the initial expansion (big bang) is the beginning of the universe? Or do you think the universe predate this point Iin time?

Which or what physical cosmological model do you accept if it is not the big bang model?

follow the hindu multiverse theory; which corresponds with the scientific one.

http://www.space.com/18811-multiple-universes-5-theories.html

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I like to think the Big Bang was the beginning, and after awhile the Big Crunch happens, and the super-massive amounts of heat from the friction of all the universe being condensed causes it to go "bang" again (kinda like how a diesel engine works).

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't really care about cosmological questions. It has no relevance to how I practice my religion or live my life. As a short-lived biological organism, the universe might as well be eternal, and its origins do not matter compared to the immediacy of the reality around me. Thus, I have no position, because I find having one at all simply unimportant. That's not to say I may not enjoy the stories, though. :D

gnostic

The Lost One
I like to think the Big Bang was the beginning, and after awhile the Big Crunch happens, and the super-massive amounts of heat from the friction of all the universe being condensed causes it to go "bang" again (kinda like how a diesel engine works).

So you accept the cyclic model or oscillating model, otherwise known as the Big Bounce.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
I think it will end and new universes formed.

I think it started with the Big Bang.

It is my best understanding of the best of Hindu cosmology from seers and mystics I respect. I have heard none better.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

I think the form and composition of the universe that we are familiar with is not enternal.

Dynamics and change could however be an enternal process. bringing about infinite possibilities and outcomes.

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member

The universe is eternal...there can be no such thing as nothing...since universal mass and energy is not nothing, its existence logically must have existed always... Iow, if it is true that there is no way that universal mass and energy can be theoretically or practically made to disappear into nothing....it is impossible for it not to have always existed and must into the future always exist...

The theoretical big bang was not the beginning of the universe...there is no such thing as nothing....since the universe is not nothing, logically it must never had beginning... Iow, if the concept of nothing represents the absence of universal mass and energy.....the mass and energy of the universe could not have come from it....:)

The universe is infinite and eternal.....I do not accept any of the evolving or dogmatic models as totally accurate representations, though they can all be useful...

RedDragon94

Love everyone, meditate often
I think the universe actually has a beginning, so no. But it wouldn't phase me if it was. If matter is eternal there cannot be a creator.
I think the big bang explains it, yes. Evolution does explain why we're here. It's to help the universe continue the process.
I think anyone that we evolved by the hand of an unseen being should be given equal say as much as atheists. However, the six day creation theory is child's play.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
Because if matter has always existed then the idea of a God creating something cannot occur because what would've been created already is.
But matter and energy wasn't created if it is eternal...why not create planets, and stars, and galaxies, etc..