• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Eternal Punishment

Would eternal damnation ever be justified?

• Yes; for sinners and murderers

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Only for murderers

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Never

Votes: 16 88.9%

• Total voters

LukeS

And why do we seem to talk about heaven and hell, is it they are inbuilt concepts of our depth psychology, along with God - like Jungian archetypes? There is certainly an amount of curiosity and focus!

Corvus

Feathered eyeball connoisseur
And why do we seem to talk about heaven and hell, is it they are inbuilt concepts of our depth psychology, along with God - like Jungian archetypes? There is certainly an amount of curiosity and focus!
Not here, I just hate theists who threaten people with hell, it makes my blood boil. Sin seeking animals...they have no value.

Why in any discussion about an afterlife is there always more than one place to go?

Why is it not possible that if there is a afterlife all life that dies might go there as equals?

Why is human "ego" the most important part of the afterlife discussion?

Tammie

If you are a believer in the Word of God - Hell is the Grave... so it is not a tormenting Hell, nor do we go to heaven when we die. The key is the first or second resurrection, or first and second death. The second death is eternal death. The last two enemies are death and the grave (1 Corinthians 15:55, 1 Corinthians 15:26)
To prove Hell is the grave and we do not go to heaven when we die, and etc...

Ecclesiastes 3:20-21 - All go unto one place; all are of the dust, and all turn to dust again. Who knoweth the spirit of man that goeth upward, and the spirit of the beast that goeth downward to the earth?

Ecclesiastes 9:2-3 - All things come alike to all: there is one event to the righteous, and to the wicked; to the good and to the clean, and to the unclean; to him that sacrificeth, and to him that sacrificeth not: as is the good, so is the sinner; and he that sweareth, as he that feareth an oath. This is an evil among all things that are done under the sun, that there is one event unto all: yea, also the heart of the sons of men is full of evil, and madness is in their heart while they live, and after that they go to the dead.

Ecclesiastes 9:5
- For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten.

Ecclesiastes 9:10 - Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave, whither thou goest.

John 3:13
- And no man hath ascended up to heaven, but he that came down from heaven, even the Son of man which is in heaven.

Acts 2:29 - Men and brethren, let me freely speak unto you of the patriarch David, that he is both dead and buried, and his sepulchre is with us unto this day.

Acts 2:34 - For David is not ascended into the heavens: but he saith himself, The LORD said unto my Lord, Sit thou on my right hand,

John 5:28-29 - Marvel not at this: for the hour is coming, in the which all that are in the graves shall hear his voice, And shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation.

Acts 26:8 - Why should it be thought a thing incredible with you, that God should raise the dead?

1Corinthians 15:16-19 - For if the dead rise not, then is not Christ raised: And if Christ be not raised, your faith is vain; ye are yet in your sins. Then they also which are fallen asleep in Christ are perished. If in this life only we have hope in Christ, we are of all men most miserable.

Revelation 20:5-6 - But the rest of the dead lived not again until the thousand years were finished. This is the first resurrection. Blessed and holy is he that hath part in the first resurrection: on such the second death hath no power, but they shall be priests of God and of Christ, and shall reign with him a thousand years.

Revelation 5:10 - And hast made us unto our God kings and priests: and we shall reign on the earth.

Revelation 21:2
-
And I John saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.
Note: Even the New Jerusalem comes down from God out of heaven (The Kingdom of God)

Hope this helps in your Eternal Punishment theories....:)

Tammie

Sha'irullah,

I do not believe I have seen, heard, or read Clive Barker's Hellraiser, or if I have in my earlier years, I do not remember anything about it. If I understand the definition of sadomasochism, they receive their gratification from pain or humiliation. “Sorry to disappoint you with what the word of God says is going to happen!”

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
Sha'irullah,

I do not believe I have seen, heard, or read Clive Barker's Hellraiser, or if I have in my earlier years, I do not remember anything about it. If I understand the definition of sadomasochism, they receive their gratification from pain or humiliation. “Sorry to disappoint you with what the word of God says is going to happen!”

He is a famous horror writer/director and one of my most beloved homosexual males in pop culture. His mind is riddled with the understanding of the grandeur of human emotion.

But yes you have a correct definition of sadomasochism. I am not bothered by a Christian or Islamic hell in the slightest, the worst torture that can be given to me is to spend time with Jesus.

Muffled

Jesus in me
Is eternal torment ever deserved? I was wondering, as I feel as though no one would really deserve spending eternity in Hell. I am a hateful person, do not get me wrong, but eternity is essentially pure pain. I can't support that.

I believe the torment is self inflicted and that basically it is a jail. It seems like justice to me that those who cause pain for thousands of years should allow us to be without pain for thousands of years and that means evil must be gone. I believe you can join us but you must realize that you can't have life and sin at the same time.

Muffled

Jesus in me
If there were "one true god" and Jehovah was that guy, then I shouldn't be here. I am, so, suck it. :D

If you must be a fearful little mental slave to your god, it doesn't do much to demonstrate the 'value' proposition. I rather spend an eternity in "hell" than five minutes in "heaven" stuck with that guy.

I believe I should warn you that it isn't a good idea to dare Him to take you out.

Muffled

Jesus in me
Hitler, Stalin and others who have committed mass genocide won't be missed. Islam teaches only the worst of mankind will suffer eternal punishment, and the worst amongst them, possibly like the ones I mentioned will be destroyed completely, their soul will be no more.

People who have had NDE and experienced punishment outside of Hell will tell you, they never want to ever think about being punished in the same way, never mind stepping one foot in Hell. People have no idea hell starts in the grave, aeons before Judgement day.

I don't believe there is any evidence to support this notion.

Mindmaster

Premium Member
I believe I should warn you that it isn't a good idea to dare Him to take you out.

He'd have to exist for me to care, but I don't think that he does. The Biblical Jehovah displays more human characteristics than godlike ones; that alone makes me suspect. The second part is that if he is all-powerful he has no need for exclusivity in worship, as all other gods answer to him. He'd have nothing to fear of these "lesser" gods, and certainly has nothing to fear of little old me. The argument just doesn't make sense from any perspective, and it is far more likely that "he" is a human invention. I am aware of other deities, just not him... I don't think mine is the ONLY one. :D

Further, I find it interesting that Christians feel that their gods wroth will be personally directed at them for minor offenses or even major ones, it certainly doesn't stop the sins of the priests at any point in history and to say that they have paid for their misdeeds is a laughable joke. It seems that the right to sin is reserved for the Christian oligarchy, whether it be priest or preacher, and Jehovah seems just fine with that. The only justice ever served is at the hands of men, and that certainly has nothing to do with him.