• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Eternal Damnation

gottalovemoses

Im mad as Hell!
Despite being a Christian I have a hard time with this concept. I think God's mercy , God's love wins out finally and puts an end to all evil. We just have to suffer longer until we wake up and then God says "enough, you can go through the narrow gate now".
I hate seeing people having nightmares over this. its not right. its false teaching in my view. We need to emphasise God's mercy and love over punishments. especially eternal ones.

Aiviu

He'll stop us being evil because we desire something we cant forsee. Being evil is the way of teaching to those who are blind.

Brickjectivity

Turned to Stone. Now I stretch daily.
Staff member
Premium Member
Despite being a Christian I have a hard time with this concept. I think God's mercy , God's love wins out finally and puts an end to all evil. We just have to suffer longer until we wake up and then God says "enough, you can go through the narrow gate now".
I hate seeing people having nightmares over this. its not right. its false teaching in my view. We need to emphasise God's mercy and love over punishments. especially eternal ones.
I think this is particularly cruel when someone's child or family member dies as a 'Sinner'. The concept of hell is not explained explicitly in the Bible, and so there is a lot of confusion about it. Bad translation problems do not help. Also some people have visions of hell and burning alive (which I consider irrelevant but they do probably have something to do with beliefs about hell). This kind of vision is not common but does happen. I knew a fellow who quit seminary, because he kept having visions of burning in hell. St. Ignatious would visualize burning in hell (on purpose) as some kind of meditative exercise. I'm not sure why he did that. I also find that within myself I am able to hate people and to wish they would suffer horribly, so maybe the reason hell is so misunderstood is that people like me can be cruel. If I can be cruel then I suspect others can. We all share the same DNA.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Having a difficult time with it, doesn't mean you're correct. The bible is correct, time to reevaluate your logical process, imo.

Brickjectivity

Turned to Stone. Now I stretch daily.
Staff member
Premium Member
A self identifying Satanist goes around talking like a Chick tract, and it seems ironic for them to prop up a fundamentalist Bible position and then accuse others of confirmation bias.

djhwoodwerks

To my understanding, and IMO, hell is very real, tho I don't believe it to be a place of "fiery" torment where souls are floating around in fire. I believe hell to be, eternal separation from God.

The rich man in Jesus' story was calm, had all his faculties, but it was hot! I believe that death, hell, and everyone who's name isn't in the book of life will be cast into the lake of fire, and I believe that to be the same concept as Alcatraz. That prison was surrounded by water and there was no way of the rock, the lake of fire is the same thing, just a way to make sure no one can ever leave.

Last edited:

Pray to god and try not to agonize about it. Hopefully he will give you an answer.

outlawState

Deism is dead
I not sure I understand you. God's love has been demonstrated, but mankind have rejected it (Gospel of John Ch 3). If one rejects the love of God, what else can there be?

If there was no sanction for rejecting God, there would be no need for mercy. God may overlook sin in mercy, when sin is in genuine ignorance, and forgives all sins in Christ, but when the light of dawn comes and the sinner is determined to carry on sinning, what then? (cf. parable of the 10 virgins). There is no gospel without the consequences of rejecting the gospel. The gospel is not optional, but mandatory on mankind where it enjoins the command "repent or perish."

The church is not a debating society although so many have become just that, becoming modelled on democratic politics that is antithetical to the gospel, as given over to debate, humanistic notions of justice, and moral relativism. The gospel is not open to debate. It is not predicated upon an assumption that humanistic experimentation can always be put right, at a later date, if it goes wrong. The gospel is "right" and that gives it its authority. It doesn't require debate.

People are waking up to the fact that vast national debts will never be repaid and must be endlessly shifted onto future generations. For the human soul there is no-one to shift its debts onto if it continues to build up debt till the very end. All debts must be repaid on death. Death of the soul is the result if the soul is still bound by guilt.

With the soul versus God, it's the gospel or death. The gospel cannot be modelled on liberal political theory that allows people to carrying on a life of crime or agglomeration of debt, as if divinely protected from just retribution.

BTW most people who chose hell do not believe in its existence. They rather disbelieve in it, because they conceive theology as politics - just a game of shifting responsibility onto others.

Last edited:

I am not absolutely certain what hell is but I will say that people should try to refrain from speaking of it to others. What kind of service is done by trying to frighten others? Spreading the love of the Word seems a much better approach to trying to help others. I say this a lot but I have to keep saying it and that is that people concern themselves with things they have no way of knowing. Often times, they wonder what the root or chief aim of the deeds of others might be and how those actions might be judged. What they may know something about, themselves, they almost willingly choose to not to look at. Try to save yourself and be redeemed through Christ and then assist others in being saved. I believe that all men, given the opportunity, will repent for their sins on their death bed and be united with Christ in all eternity. Obviously, I have no idea what men think in their last moments but nothing can take the hope from me that they make their peace with the Lord and the seeker is then greeted with open arms by our Father.

It is interesting you mention the nightmares. Since I was a child I had recurring nightmares of being crushed by this unseen presence in utter darkness. I could not explain it but it was a suffocating feeling and I would always wake up terrified as I was about to run out of breath. I kid you not when I say at the age of 26 I found Christ and the nightmares immediately ceased. I have not had a single nightmare of any kind after that point. What can I say but it is completely true. God's love and mercy will always triumph. Take care.