• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Estimated 40,000 homes flooded in Louisiana

4consideration

Premium Member

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Thank you for posting this. I have a friend who lost her car and is stranded and choosing between feeding herself and her cat. People need help, anything would be appreciated.

Burl

I imagine those people who were rescued with their pets are then parted from them. If that is the case they probably would prefer not to be rescued at all if it means parting with their pets. They could have stayed in their attics until the flood receded and been spared the further anguish.

4consideration

Premium Member
Thank you for posting this. I have a friend who lost her car and is stranded and choosing between feeding herself and her cat. People need help, anything would be appreciated.
Louisiana is close to my heart. I was born there and still have family throughout the southern part of the state. Thankfully, all are ok and so far none have flooded.

I've seen that some areas received 30 inches within a 24 hour period. Some parishes have 75% of the homes flooded. It's terrible.

Is your friend stranded in her home, or stranded at a shelter? Does she need emergency assistance?

4consideration

Premium Member
I imagine those people who were rescued with their pets are then parted from them. If that is the case they probably would prefer not to be rescued at all if it means parting with their pets. They could have stayed in their attics until the flood receded and been spared the further anguish.
Of course there's always the possibility they could remain parted for good, but I have seen some coverage that shows pets being housed for people in shelters, with a sign that these are not available for adoption, (and I assume meant were intended to be reunited with who they belonged with.)

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Louisiana is close to my heart. I was born there and still have family throughout the southern part of the state. Thankfully, all are ok and so far none have flooded.

I've seen that some areas received 30 inches within a 24 hour period. Some parishes have 75% of the homes flooded. It's terrible.

Is your friend stranded in her home, or stranded at a shelter? Does she need emergency assistance?
She's stranded in her apt but she's on the second story and her foundation isn't compromised yet so they haven't evacuated her.

4consideration

Premium Member
She's stranded in her apt but she's on the second story and her foundation isn't compromised yet so they haven't evacuated her.
Oh, my. So many days in that. So I take it that means there are people aware she is there. Is that right? Has anyone been able to get food and water to her?

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Oh, my. So many days in that. So I take it that means there are people aware she is there. Is that right? Has anyone been able to get food and water to her?
Yes. I haven't gotten an update in a couple days. Trying to not tie up the phones and let her family update me.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Louisiana is currently experiencing historic flooding -- flooding on a massive scale.

If you are inclined to donate, now would be a really good time to do it. There are a number of options for organizations that are hands on and there right now.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/08/18/us/louisiana-flooding/index.html
http://www.cnn.com/2016/08/14/us/iyw-louisiana-flooding-victims-help/index.html

I have gotten permission from RF staff to post this, prior to doing so.
Are you & yours safe & sound?

We've had a little flooding here lately, but I've taken extensive measures to handle the water & prevent damage.
Water can be destructive stuff, eh.
But it's good for putting out fires.

4consideration

Premium Member
Are you & yours safe & sound?

We've had a little flooding here lately, but I've taken extensive measures to handle the water & prevent damage.
Water can be destructive stuff, eh.
But it's good for putting out fires.
As far as I know, all are safe. There are some concerns as water moves south, about possible flooding for those that have not flooded so far, and preventative measures have been taken for the people I know of in those cases.

Water sure can be destructive. It's good for putting out fires. It's good for drinking -- when clean.

I rarely ever log into Facebook, but I do when there is something of importance going on. I saw many people that I know posting about their house being completely under water/losing everything -- people that live in different parishes. Major damage has been done in at least 12 parishes.

I posted about it here because I (don't watch TV anymore) haven't seen much coverage about it online, so I didn't know if many people were even aware of just how much damage has occurred and is still occurring, and how many people are affected with total loss/near total of property.

edit: I saw your post about your truck burning up after I responded to this post. Sorry to hear about that.

Last edited:

4consideration

Premium Member
The numbers of flood affected in India is something like 40 million. Check in Google with any name of an Indian state and flood, you will know. Whatever happens in India (or China) is on a big scale.

https://www.google.co.in/?espv=2#q=...1,cd_min:01/07/2016,cd_max:19/08/2016&tbm=vid
That is large scale flooding. I hope you and your family and friends are all ok.

It is amazing what a tremendous force of nature water is, and how so much can be affected in such a short time.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Oh, we are safe. Though Yamuna in Delhi is around danger levels. The people from the low-lying areas have been evacuated. The British rail bridge which at one time was the only one to connect Delhi to areas East of us had to be closed for one day because of Yamuna level. Ganges at Varanasi also is touching danger levels.

Five days ago, but life goes on.
upload_2016-8-19_16-51-43.jpeg
images
upload_2016-8-19_16-53-48.jpeg
images

4consideration

Premium Member
@Revoltingest, I thought I had included in my reply that I don't live in Louisiana at this time. I don't know how I missed mentioning that. I thought I said it twice in this thread, and don't see it once. Old age I guess. :)

I just have a lot of family and friends there.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
@Revoltingest, I thought I had included in my reply that I don't live in Louisiana at this time. I don't know how I missed mentioning that. I thought I said it twice in this thread, and don't see it once. Old age I guess. :)

I just have a lot of family and friends there.
It's even worse for me (being older), since I didn't even see the post you didn't post.

4consideration

Premium Member
Yes. I haven't gotten an update in a couple days. Trying to not tie up the phones and let her family update me.
It is understandable about not wanting to tie up phone lines. I know what you mean.

Do you mind if I message you? I have some questions to see if I know of anything that might be done, if she needs help at this time. I can't promise anything, but you never know...