• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Escape from New York

Sirona

Hindu Wannabe
Yesterday, I re-watched the 1981 cult classic Escape from New York for nostalgia reasons, and I have to admit that I found it rather scary. New York devastated with an impoverished population of prisoners, around it a highly armed white "law and order" police state and most of all a smug and selfish president who doesn't seem to give a damn about whether people get killed due to his politics.

However, I'm not an American, and I can only judge based upon media coverage here, so I can't hold it against you if you should decide to bash my opinion. :cool:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
When I saw your thread's title, I immediately thought
it was about real estate in the era of Covid 19.
So many are leaving the city that prices are falling.

ecco

Veteran Member
Yesterday, I re-watched the 1981 cult classic Escape from New York for nostalgia reasons, and I have to admit that I found it rather scary. New York devastated with an impoverished population of prisoners, around it a highly armed white "law and order" police state and most of all a smug and selfish president who doesn't seem to give a damn about whether people get killed due to his politics.
It's almost as though the screenwriters were predicting what the eighth year of a Trump presidency would look like.

BSM1

What? Me worry?

However, I'm not an American, and I can only judge based upon media coverage here, so I can't hold it against you if you should decide to bash my opinion. :cool:

Please don't watch "Escape From LA" or you'll be totally disillusioned.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

Those were the days for movies.

Incidentally, you ought to check out The Warriors. Another classic flick in NYC.

Twilight Hue

It's almost as though the screenwriters were predicting what the eighth year of a Trump presidency would look like.
Funny, I think the same with the Democrats starring Sylvester Stallone.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

It's just fiction but, I suppose politics is mostly fiction too. Presidents come and go. Life in the US is much more than the political theater you see on TV.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
I highly recommend the TV series, The Man In The High Castle.

Why when we have the exciting Trump reality show to watch. :p sarcasm

Just kind of realized how much politics is like a fictional drama. Maybe four years fo Trump put the spotlight on it for me. :shrug:

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
When I saw your thread's title, I immediately thought
it was about real estate in the era of Covid 19.
So many are leaving the city that prices are falling.
When people don't have to work in the office, people leave as is happening in SF as well.

If this is a permanent trend, then cities will look a lot different in a few years.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
When people don't have to work in the office, people leave as is happening in SF as well.

If this is a permanent trend, then cities will look a lot different in a few years.
But they'll become more affordable.
And perhaps urban design will change to make them less crowded.

Twilight Hue

I have no idea what you might be referring to. Are you suggesting the Dems want Stallone to run for President?
Demolition Man starring Sylvester Stallone

Waking up and finding your living in a dystopia.