• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

errors in bible

mohdzaeem

Error in the Book of God?
[Isaiah 37] and [2 Kings 19] are identical word for word. Yet they have been attributed to two different authors, centuries apart, and it is claimed to have been inspired by God. How is this possible?

God or the Devil?
"And again the anger of the LORD was kindled against Israel, and he moved David against them to say, Go, number Israel and Judah." [2 Samuel 24:1]
"And SATAN stood up against Israel, and provoked David to number Israel." [1 Chronicles 21:1]

What did the Lord decree, 3 years famine or 7 years famine?
"So Gad came to David, and told him, and said unto him, Shall SEVEN YEARS OF FAMINE come unto thee in thy land? or wilt thou flee three months before thine enemies, while they pursue thee?" [2 Samuel 24:13]
"So Gad came to David, and said unto him, Thus saith the LORD, Choose thee Either THREE YEARS' FAMINE; or three months to be destroyed before thy foes, while that the sword of thine enemies overtaketh thee" [1 Chronicles 21:11,12]

How old was Jehoiachin? 8 or 18?
"Jehoiachin was EIGHT YEARS old when he began to reign, and he reigned three months and ten days in Jerusalem: and he did that which was evil in the sight of the LORD." [2 Chronicles 36:9]
"Jehoiachin was EIGHTEEN YEARS old when he began to reign, and he reigned in Jerusalem three months. And his mother's name was Nehushta, the daughter of Elnathan of Jerusalem." [2 Kings 24:8]

700 or 7 000? Horsemen or footmen?
"And the Syrians fled before Israel; and David slew the men of SEVEN HUNDRED CHARIOTS of the Syrians, and FORTY THOUSAND HORSEMEN, and smote Shobach the captain of their host, who died there." [2 Samuel 10:18]
"But the Syrians fled before Israel; and David slew of the Syrians SEVEN THOUSAND MEN which fought in chariots, and FORTY THOUSAND FOOTMEN, and killed Shophach the captain of the host." [1 Chronicles 19:18]

The difference 2 000 and 3 000 is only 50% exaggeration!
"And it was an hand breadth thick, and the brim thereof was wrought like the brim of a cup, with flowers of lilies: it contained TWO THOUSAND baths." [1 Kings 7:26]
"And the thickness of it was an handbreadth, and the brim of it like the work of the brim of a cup, with flowers of lilies; and it received and held THREE THOUSAND baths." [2 Chronicles 4:5]

The difference between 4 thousand and 40 thousand is only 36 000! (The Jews did not use the "0" (zero) in the Old Testament)
"And Solomon had FOUR THOUSAND stalls for horses and chariots, and twelve thousand horsemen; whom he bestowed in the chariot cities, and with the king at Jerusalem." [2 Chronicles 9:25] "And Solomon had FORTY THOUSAND stalls of horses for his chariots, and twelve thousand horsemen." [1 Kings 4:26]

yo do u still belive in bible then u are just in wrong place :banghead3 :) :jiggy:
so if any one can prove this wrong thenKnockout prove it wrong quick

This would appear to have been plagiarized from:- http://www.muslimworld.co.uk/errorsinbible.htm

Green Kepi

Good ones, Mohdzaeem. I love stuff like this! I often "scratch my head" on these type questions. Will you allow me to tackle one at a time? This is an answer that pacified me on the first question.

I've found the compiler of the Book of Isaiah incorporated a large chunk of the Deuteronomistic History. In that light, I do not think we ought to be shocked that some editor plagiarized other writings. The Book of Isaiah, which at first glance appears to be the work of one individual, I consider to be composite.

As you correctly stated, the material is identical as in 2 Kings. Chapters 36-39 is biographical material on Hezekiah's revolt. The material in this is the same as that found in 2 Kings 18:13 to 19:37 with one exception: 2 Kings 18:14-16, which describes Hezekiah's heavy payments to Assyria and his willing "butt-kissing" to Sennacherib.

All this may have happened in that Isaiah and his disciples may have gathered the earliest collection of materials, the biographical and autobiographical materials in Chapters 6 to 9 and then 28 - 31, being composed of oracles that the prophet may himself have gathered.

Pah

Uber all member
Green Kepi said:
Good ones, Mohdzaeem. I love stuff like this! I often "scratch my head" on these type questions. Will you allow me to tackle one at a time? This is an answer that pacified me on the first question.

I've found the compiler of the Book of Isaiah incorporated a large chunk of the Deuteronomistic History. In that light, I do not think we ought to be shocked that some editor plagiarized other writings. The Book of Isaiah, which at first glance appears to be the work of one individual, I consider to be composite.

As you correctly stated, the material is identical as in 2 Kings. Chapters 36-39 is biographical material on Hezekiah's revolt. The material in this is the same as that found in 2 Kings 18:13 to 19:37 with one exception: 2 Kings 18:14-16, which describes Hezekiah's heavy payments to Assyria and his willing "butt-kissing" to Sennacherib.

All this may have happened in that Isaiah and his disciples may have gathered the earliest collection of materials, the biographical and autobiographical materials in Chapters 6 to 9 and then 28 - 31, being composed of oracles that the prophet may himself have gathered.
But doesn't this still go the the claim of "inspiration"?

d.

_______
thing is, i don't think anyone is going to switch faiths or lose faith in christendom because there's contradictory statements regarding if moses had ten or eleven camels, or whether there was 4 or 7 years of famine.

most modern christians doesn't believe every single word of the bible anyway - i don't know if it's even possible to live like that in modern times.

Halcyon

Lord of the Badgers
divine said:
most modern christians doesn't believe every single word of the bible anyway - i don't know if it's even possible to live like that in modern times.
I hope thats true, but those that believe in the inerrancy of the bible are pretty loud.

Stuff like this won't stop them believing it, but it does make them look pretty silly.

jeffrey

†ßig Dog†
I believe throughout the NT it talks about following the spirit, not other's interpretations. Good article of it here.

telecino

In the hebrew original, Adam tasted someting. This thing he tasted is the word for "bad/wrong/evil". Translated into latin, the word became "malum". Malum, in latin is the work for bad, but also the word for apple. Then, it was obvious for those without knowledge of the hebrew version, that is Adam tasted an apple, thus translating for thousands of years, that Adam ate the defended fruit or apple. But this is completely off-track. There is no apple in the bible/torah.

Same with the snake. No snake in the bible, but the word there is another word for Mesiah (same concept/value). So the Mesiah revealed the concept of evil to Adam. The idea of "The Mesiah revealed the concept of evil to Adam, and he went out there to find out more" makes more sens than "a snake gave an apple, and for this he was thrown out."

The first woman is the bible is not Eve, but Lilith, the feminine side of Adam, and she was not made by a bone torn out of his chest, she was made "beside him", not "from his side".

gnostic

The Lost One
telecino said:
There is no apple in the bible/torah.
It is a myth that Adam and Eve ate "apples" from the tree of knowledge. It only mentioned as the "fruit".

One possibility is that this fruit may be fig, since Adam and Eve later covered their nakedness with fig leaves...but this too, is only a guess. (More logical than the apple, which many people have falsely believed it to be.)

I had explore a little bit on Lilith, and posted a small page on her. Her story can be found in The Legends of the Jews (volume 1 chapter 2), which is a translation from the Jewish Haggada.

divine said:
thing is, i don't think anyone is going to switch faiths or lose faith in christendom because there's contradictory statements regarding if moses had ten or eleven camels, or whether there was 4 or 7 years of famine.

They should. In 1 Corinthians Paul talks of the inerrancy of the Word of God. I do. And it is possible to live according to it in modern times, but only through the grace of Jesus Christ.

d.

_______
joecrawford815 said:
They should. In 1 Corinthians Paul talks of the inerrancy of the Word of God. I do. And it is possible to live according to it in modern times, but only through the grace of Jesus Christ.

by every single word i mean every single word - yes, all the old testament peculiarities too - as well as things like :

1 timothy 5:23 Drink no longer water, but use a little wine for thy stomach's sake and thine often infirmities.

and the by now classic :

proverbs 26:4 Answer not a fool according to his folly, lest thou also be like unto him.
proverbs 26:5 Answer a fool according to his folly, lest he be wise in his own conceit.

;)

ΩRôghênΩ

Disciple of Light
Error in the Book of God?
[Isaiah 37] and [2 Kings 19] are identical word for word. Yet they have been attributed to two different authors, centuries apart, and it is claimed to have been inspired by God. How is this possible?

Alot of The Bible s rewritten throughout, as usually a tribute to the older authors to restate what they said.

God or the Devil?
"And again the anger of the LORD was kindled against Israel, and he moved David against them to say, Go, number Israel and Judah." [2 Samuel 24:1]
"And SATAN stood up against Israel, and provoked David to number Israel." [1 Chronicles 21:1]

Both stood against Israel at that time

What did the Lord decree, 3 years famine or 7 years famine?
"So Gad came to David, and told him, and said unto him, Shall SEVEN YEARS OF FAMINE come unto thee in thy land? or wilt thou flee three months before thine enemies, while they pursue thee?" [2 Samuel 24:13]
"So Gad came to David, and said unto him, Thus saith the LORD, Choose thee Either THREE YEARS' FAMINE; or three months to be destroyed before thy foes, while that the sword of thine enemies overtaketh thee" [1 Chronicles 21:11,12]

God Changed his mind

How old was Jehoiachin? 8 or 18?
"Jehoiachin was EIGHT YEARS old when he began to reign, and he reigned three months and ten days in Jerusalem: and he did that which was evil in the sight of the LORD." [2 Chronicles 36:9]
"Jehoiachin was EIGHTEEN YEARS old when he began to reign, and he reigned in Jerusalem three months. And his mother's name was Nehushta, the daughter of Elnathan of Jerusalem." [2 Kings 24:8]

Thats a misconception, 8 could easily have meant 18 back then

700 or 7 000? Horsemen or footmen?
"And the Syrians fled before Israel; and David slew the men of SEVEN HUNDRED CHARIOTS of the Syrians, and FORTY THOUSAND HORSEMEN, and smote Shobach the captain of their host, who died there." [2 Samuel 10:18]
"But the Syrians fled before Israel; and David slew of the Syrians SEVEN THOUSAND MEN which fought in chariots, and FORTY THOUSAND FOOTMEN, and killed Shophach the captain of the host." [1 Chronicles 19:18]

Again a misconception

The difference 2 000 and 3 000 is only 50% exaggeration!
"And it was an hand breadth thick, and the brim thereof was wrought like the brim of a cup, with flowers of lilies: it contained TWO THOUSAND baths." [1 Kings 7:26]
"And the thickness of it was an handbreadth, and the brim of it like the work of the brim of a cup, with flowers of lilies; and it received and held THREE THOUSAND baths." [2 Chronicles 4:5]

And yet another...

The difference between 4 thousand and 40 thousand is only 36 000! (The Jews did not use the "0" (zero) in the Old Testament)
"And Solomon had FOUR THOUSAND stalls for horses and chariots, and twelve thousand horsemen; whom he bestowed in the chariot cities, and with the king at Jerusalem." [2 Chronicles 9:25] "And Solomon had FORTY THOUSAND stalls of horses for his chariots, and twelve thousand horsemen." [1 Kings 4:26]

Do I have to say it again