• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Errors in Bible translations...

Do you believe that a new more accurate Bible should be translated?

• Yes

Votes: 33 47.1%
  • No

Votes: 11 15.7%
  • I'm not sure

Votes: 6 8.6%
  • Who cares?!

Votes: 16 22.9%
  • I don't have any bibles

Votes: 4 5.7%

• Total voters

anders

Deut. 32.8 said:
A side note: while I suspect strong bedu influence, I seriously doubt that the nascent Israelites where predominantly bedouin.
Of course I can't prove it, but I think a gradual and peaceful trickling in from the east of bedouins abandoning cattle for agriculture is a more palatable theory than positing a bunch of savages murdering their way into Palestine from the south.

iris89

Hi anders

I got my information right out of a Bible dictionary and cross checked the first five books and Amos and Hosea with other sources and they were all in agreement. I do research and dig out information, I do not put forth my own opinions.

Your Friend in Christ Iris89

SoulTYPE

iris89 said:
Hi anders
I do research and dig out information, I do not put forth my own opinions.

But your own opinions share similarities to the information you post, of course?:jiggy:

iris89

Hi SoulTYPE01

I do not put forth opinions, however, my beliefs of course reflect what I learn while doing research just as Galileo’s beliefs with respect the earth revolving around the sun reflected what he had learned by his research. To not believe the findings of your own research would be just plain stupid.

SoulTYPE

iris89 said:
Hi SoulTYPE01

To not believe the findings of your own research would be just plain stupid.

Not if they were correctly proved wrong by other research. Which many of your posts are done here.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
anders said:
Deut. 32.8 said:
A side note: while I suspect strong bedu influence, I seriously doubt that the nascent Israelites where predominantly bedouin.
Of course I can't prove it, but I think a gradual and peaceful trickling in from the east of bedouins abandoning cattle for agriculture is a more palatable theory than positing a bunch of savages murdering their way into Palestine from the south.
And the relocation of Tibetan Yak drivers in search of milder climate is a "more palatable theory" than positing the resettlement of alien pastoralists from Andromeda. Now that we've both recognized a sliding scale of palatability, let me restate what I said earlier:
while I suspect strong bedu influence, I seriously doubt that the nascent Israelites where predominantly bedouin
If you read all of the words, you'll note that I said absolute nothing about "bunch of savages murdering their way into Palestine from the south" or any other variant of a conquest model.

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
I do research and dig out information, I do not put forth my own opinions.
Did she REALLY say this? None are so blind as those who say they can see!

People... the God of the Bible EXCELS at working great things in spite of errors. Look at the men he uses. Only JESUS was perfect! While the scriptures clearly indicate that they are God Breathed (inspired) and useful, they never make the case for being perfect. That is something that MAN has added in order to feel good about his decisions.

No matter HOW diligently one "researches and digs out information" in the Bible, it is ultimately the Spirit that gives insight. Pointing to your efforts to devine the word of God is prideful. Claiming inerrancy in doing so is sheer arrogance. Expecting us to accept this drivel is complete lunacy. :D

iris89

Hi SoulTYPE01

My statement was based on the premise that one's research was correctly done.

SoulTYPE

I see, Iris...yes well you missed the point entirely, my "friend in christ".

BTW, NetDOC, Frubals. An outstanding post. Even through the eyes of a non christian like me

iris89

Hi Everyone

Some forget that God (YHWH) used his power or spirit to move faithful men to put the thoughts of God (YHWH) into the words of men when they make un-backed opinions such as:
People... the God of the Bible EXCELS at working great things in spite of errors. Look at the men he uses. Only JESUS was perfect! While the scriptures clearly indicate that they are God Breathed (inspired) and useful, they never make the case for being perfect. That is something that MAN has added in order to feel good about his decisions.
Some day individuals like this may understand reality, but at the moment they surely do not.

It never ceases to amaze me how some can be so blind to reality or why they seek to say derogatory things about others. Obviously they are unaware of Matthew 7:1-3, "Judge not, that ye be not judged. 2 For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured unto you. 3 And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?" (American Standard Version; ASV). Also, I do not understand how they can call themselves followers of Christ and not recognize the Bible as the Standard God (YHWH) gave to mankind. Why is this?

anders

Deut. 32.8 said:
And the relocation of Tibetan Yak drivers in search of milder climate is a "more palatable theory" than positing the resettlement of alien pastoralists from Andromeda. Now that we've both recognized a sliding scale of palatability, let me restate what I said earlier:
while I suspect strong bedu influence, I seriously doubt that the nascent Israelites where predominantly bedouin
If you read all of the words, you'll note that I said absolute nothing about "bunch of savages murdering their way into Palestine from the south" or any other variant of a conquest model.
Oh yes, I read all your words, as always with great interest, and I tried not to argue against you or any other specified person, having indeed seen your "predominantly", but I wanted to state my theory in a way that might prompt comments from the literalist lair.

Iris:
I got my information right out of a Bible dictionary and cross checked the first five books and Amos and Hosea with other sources and they were all in agreement. I do research and dig out information, I do not put forth my own opinions.
By now, you should have understood that some of us do not accept the Bible as proof. Outside of the Bible, there is no proof anywhere or even hints at who might have done the writing. The general meaning of persons who have devoted their lives to studying the scriptures in a scientific way is rather that in the majority of cases, the books of the Bible can't have been written by the persons to whom they are attributed. Exceptions might be some of Paul's letters.

SoulTYPE

iris89 said:
Some day individuals like this may understand reality, but at the moment they surely do not.
And Iris89 is one of them.

iris89 said:
It never ceases to amaze me how some can be so blind to reality or why they seek to say derogatory things about others. Obviously they are unaware of Matthew 7:1-3, "Judge not, that ye be not judged. 2 For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured unto you.
Judge me all you like. I aint stopping you. And this phrase you quoted applies to those who do not follow the Bible as well?

Iris, you have stated your definition of reality. Thank you. We will all just crawl bck in to our imaginary worlds whilst you live on YOUR perfect, real world that you know so much about, ok?

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
anders said:
Oh yes, I read all your words, as always with great interest, and I tried not to argue against you or any other specified person, having indeed seen your "predominantly", but I wanted to state my theory in a way that might prompt comments from the literalist lair.
I'd rather see you defend your 'theory'.

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
I'm sorry Iris,

but even though you are on my ignore list, I just had to read your post.

You accuse me of calling you names and tell everyone how reprehensible that is. And yet apparently you gave no thought to calling Soul "stupid"??? Hypocrisy at it's finest. With friends like you, who needs enemies?

Then you tell me that my opinion is "BASELESS" and yet provide nothing, NOTHING in scripture to contradict what I said. Perhaps you think that Peter and Paul were perfect? Even Paul says he was the worst of sinners (but that was only because he hadn't met me). If your point is that the scriptures are completely without error, then point to a scripture that says EXACTLY that. It is more hypocrisy to call something BASELESS without providing us a BASIS to believe what you are saying is true.

If God opposes the proud, then I am afraid you don't have a chance!

I Peter 5:5 Young men, in the same way be submissive to those who are older. All of you, clothe yourselves with humility toward one another, because, "God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble." 6 Humble yourselves, therefore, under God's mighty hand, that he may lift you up in due time.

By the way... it would be a LOT easier to keep ignoring her, if friends didn't "quote" her so much! :D I know it ain't possible, but I am TRYING not to let her intolerance and hypocrisy get to me! OK, I have set back to "ignore".

SoulTYPE

I am not going to waste any more time arguing with Iris89's proselytizing. Just remember this is a DEBATES section, where your topic/posts get DEBATED. This is not a preaching grounds.

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
Re-Opened

Please remember the Forum Rules, including the following:

5.) While debating and discussion is fine, we will not tolerate rudeness, insulting posts, personal attacks or purposeless inflammatory posts. Our decision is final in these matters.

15.) Proselytizing will not be tolerated. This forum should be for sharing, discussing and understanding other religions and ideas, not converting others to your individual religion or beliefs.

Someone PM me to open this thread when you all are ready to continue this discussion in a more calm manner, I won't remember to do it....

t3gah

New World Translation

The First Lie
Atop of the page where the serpent speaks to Eve there's a caption that says in bold letters, "First Lie". There's no information as to whom performs the first lie. From the bible text itself, Eve is the first liar.

Genesis 2:16,17; 3:1-5

This is in all three types of New World Translations, pocket sized, medium sized with cross-references and reference bible (large nwt)

SoulTYPE

The serpent was the first liar, t3gah. I'll try and quote the bible, when I find relevant info.And I mean TRY.

t3gah

New World Translation

I forgot to add what the mistake was. In the book of gospels Jesus says not to call anyone your Father except the one in Heaven. The New World Translation has Satan as the "Father of the lie". That's the mistake. Eve is the mother of the lie, the first liar and Satan is angelic liar but he cannot be Father. For there is one Father and he's God. Unless Jesus lies there.