• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Errors in Bible translations...

Do you believe that a new more accurate Bible should be translated?

• Yes

Votes: 33 47.1%
  • No

Votes: 11 15.7%
  • I'm not sure

Votes: 6 8.6%
  • Who cares?!

Votes: 16 22.9%
  • I don't have any bibles

Votes: 4 5.7%

• Total voters

iris89

Hi Everyone

Let's face it, no one today knows the correct pronunciation for the Tetragrammaton the correct name of God (YHWH). I avoid that problem altogether by using the four constants that represent the Tetragrammaton, namely YHWH. The most authoritative source on the subject is by the renown French Bible scholar and translator, Gerard Gertoux. In fact he wrote an entire book covering the subject, " The Name Of God Y.EH.OW.AH Which Is Pronounced As It Is Written I_EH_OU_AH ". You all should check out an item he placed on the web at:

http://gertoux.online.fr/divinename/exceptional/documents.htm

However, I would NOT call it a mistake for a Bible translator to use the most popular English rendering of this name, Jehovah, in a translation. Why? A name is intended to identify a specific individual and/or being and if it does that, it has served its intended function.
Your Friend in Christ Iris89

HelpMe

·´sociopathic meanderer`·
some most often mistranslated verses in bibles are ps83:18/ex3:14/isa9:6.

Doodlebug02

FeathersinHair said:
As a side note, the ads are now getting very odd in this thread. "Meet Unicorn Singles!" one of them is saying. I'm slightly worried.
:biglaugh: LOL! I see that one too... how strange!

Anyway, I used to be a Fundamentalist and when I was a Fundamentalist, I believed that the Bible was perfect. I was a King James Onlyist who believed that the King James Version was completely and totally free of any and all errors. Thanks be to God that He rescued me from that heresy. I now easily accept the fact that the Bible has translation and copiest errors. It doesn't affect my faith anymore. :)

iris89

Hi Holly and Everyone

Yes in many translations there are some translational errors. Why? Although God (YHWH) caused divinely inspired men to put his thoughts into the words of men, and they did so correctly, this does NOT apply to translations. Some translations are better than others. I recommend the American Standard Version (ASV); the New World Translation (NWT); the New English Bible (NEB); An American Translation (AAT); and Young's Literal Translation (YLT) for English Translations.

With respect to translational errors, I have written a long article, too long for this board, on on well known translational error, this one caused by bias, that you should read. Go to:

Let's Have Reality in Translation:

http://examining-doctrines.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=207

t3gah

NetDoc said:
So what can we learn from this?

a) God is too weak to get us a decent translation.

OR...

b) God is all powerful and works through WEAK things to show his power.

Is there anywhere in the NT that claims the infallibility of scriptures?

How about in the OT?

I have always assumed this, and realize that I can't think of ONE scripture to back this up.
In the case of a decent translation I'm going to have to say that God isn't involved with that because then there would be many copies of the same translation.

In the case of the scripture that states God shows his power through weak things, weak would be directed towards mortal men IMHO. Although the apostle Paul was anointed and showed that when he was stoned, ship wrecked or imprisoned. God's power for weakness shown through.

In the case of those who say they are being directed by Jesus and then try to determine when the end of the world will be even though Jesus said in Matthew that "only the Father knows", they aren't 'weak' at all. They are false representatives of leaders which Jesus said would come in the 'last days' as 'false prophets and false christs'. Saying Armageddon will come in 1914 and then later until 1975 is going against the teachings of Jesus which certain persons have stated they are following to the letter.

Since the holy scriptures everyone is using to translate from are not the originals which I found out during my research, the answer to whether the scriptures are infallible can't be answered with certainty.

iris89

Hi t3gah and Everyone

You made the statement,
the answer to whether the scriptures are infallible can't be answered with certainty.
Is not correct. The scriptures as originally written by over 40 divinely inspired men who God (YHWH) used as scribes to put his thoughts into the words of men wrote with infallibality and what they wrote was infallible; however the translations made from what they wrote are NOT INFALLIBLE. I have written several articles on the subject that you should read, they are as follows, the first two deal in a general nature with the entire subject, and the third deals with the translational problems of a single scripture:

Apparent Contradictions in the Bible Compared To Real Ones In The Quran and the Book of Morman:
http://examining-doctrines.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=198

and,

Discourse On Apparent Bible Contradictions and Divine Inspiration:
http://p197.ezboard.com/ffreedomofspeechfrm5.showMessage?topicID=793.topic

and,

Let's Have Reality in Translation:

With respect the day and the hour for the culmination of the end times, you are correct that no one knows that, the Bible says at Matthew 24:36, Jesus (Yeshua) speaking, "But of that day and hour knoweth no one, not even the angels of heaven, neither the Son, but the Father only." (American Standard Version; ASV). I do not listen to nonsense about the day when this will happen and no one else should. In fact I have written an article on this you can go to at:

The Culmination of the End Times:
http://p197.ezboard.com/fabnafrm10.showMessage?topicID=88.topic

t3gah

iris89 said:
The scriptures as originally written by over 40 divinely inspired men who God (YHWH) used as scribes to put his thoughts into the words of men
Yes, yes. Forty writers inspired by God to jot it all down, etc.

But that's not what I was referring to. What I was referring to is the actual scriptures that the world of today are using to translate to Bibles. Aren't those scriptures in fact copies and not the original mccoy's?

No*s

Captain Obvious
t3gah said:
Since the holy scriptures everyone is using to translate from are not the originals which I found out during my research, the answer to whether the scriptures are infallible can't be answered with certainty.

T3gah,

It does more than that. The issue falls into one of three criteria.

1). It is irrelevant. The fact that we don't have an infallible Scripture today means that God didn't consider it important enough to preserve such an infallibility, so why look for it in the original?

2). It is important, but we don't have infallible Scriptures today. In this case God inspired them, but why didn't He preserve them? That question asks a lot, and lurking behind it, "Could He preserve it?" This is a quandry for infallibists.

3). It is important, and God did preserve it. In this case, how do we know which of all the discordant manuscripts perserves God's word? I think this is unsupportable.

IMO, you either call God into question or go with option 1. It becomes a question that says a lot about how you view God.

linwood

The scriptures as originally written by over 40 divinely inspired men who God (YHWH) used as scribes to put his thoughts into the words of men wrote with infallibality and what they wrote was infallible;
We don`t have what they wrote so it`s all irrelevant.

iris89

Hi Linwood

The word of God (YHWH) is never irrelevant. Our creator would NOT inspire over 40 faithful men to put his thoughts into the words of men unless he considered it very important. In fact, today we have available to us over 17,000 ancient manuscripts, codexes, and other ancient documents to enable us to better understand his thoughts and make better translations. Some examples of this are several modern literal and free flowing translations such as the New English Bible (NEB); the New World Translation (NWT); and An American Translation (AAT). However, all must appreciate it is not an easy task translating from Koine Greek or Ancient Hebrew into English a language with quite a different form and to be able to always capture the thoughts accurately of the writer writing in his own language; also, bias in translating enters into the picture. You should go read, "Truth in Translation: Accuracy and Bias in English Translations of the New Testament" by Dr. Jason Beduhn one of the greatest living Bible scholars and Koine Greek Translators who is also a professor at Northern Arizona University.

Also, you should go read several of my writings on the subject at, as their length makes it impossible to post them on this BB:

Let's Have Reality in Translation,

and,
Apparent Contradictions in the Bible Compared To Real Ones In The Quran and the Book of Morman:
http://examining-doctrines.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=198

and,
Discourse On Apparent Bible Contradictions and Divine Inspiration:

http://examining-doctrines.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=213

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
Can anyone produce a scripture where the Bible refers to itself as infallible???
I thought if I yelled it out once more, I might get a response this time :D

No*s

Captain Obvious
ND, they aren't because they can't ;). Not only is it lacking any such claim, but it kind of goes against what we do know. The mustard seed isn't the smallest seed after all.

t3gah

New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures

Here's a cross-reference error. Matthew 10:16 points to Genesis 3:1.

If you have a NWT look it up. I don't have the exact letter code for this post because as you might or might not know, the medium NWT has different cross-reference letter codes than the "reference" or large NWT.

t3gah

NetDoc said:
Can anyone produce a scripture where the Bible refers to itself as infallible???

I thought if I yelled it out once more, I might get a response this time :D

(American Standard Version)
2 Timothy 3:15
And that from a babe thou hast known the sacred writings which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.

[size=-1]2 Timothy 3:16
Every scripture inspired of God [is] also profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for instruction which is in righteousness. [/size]

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
Great scriptures and I believe them... but I am looking for "perfect" or "infallible" and not merely profitable or wise.

anders

iris89 said:
The scriptures as originally written by over 40 divinely inspired men
:biglaugh:
Could you please tell the world who those men were. Did they all live from the writing down of the Pentateuch (starting at about 800 years BCE) until they finished the last book of the NT (about 200 CE)?