• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Epilepsy = demonic possession!

Ubon

Depends on if he actually said all the things some people think he did. Or maybe he was just a pantheist. Jesus is largely whatever you want him to be.
So he is therefore the creation of each individuals minds as far as his characteristics rather then what he actually was.
Like all the 4 blind men touching an elephant and having different perceptions, all cannot be right and all perceptions mean nothing as the elephant is still an elephant regardless of your false perception.

Saint Frankenstein

Gone
Premium Member
So he is therefore the creation of each individuals minds as far as his characteristics rather then what he actually was.
Like all the 4 blind men touching an elephant and having different perceptions, all cannot be right and all perceptions mean nothing as the elephant is still an elephant regardless of your false perception.
That goes for all ancient religious figures, including the Buddha. People project their own wants, needs and perceptions onto religious figures.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Looks like Jesus knew so much about medicine as His Dad about cosmology.
Ciao
- viole
No.... I have little doubt that Jesus thought that Stage 2 of epilepsy was Demonic possession, or stage three either death or after demonic evacuation, but if people looked to him to cast demons and maybe even make-alive then epileptic seizures would have appeared to them and him as casting demons and maybe bringing alive.

But 'cures' for blindness, strokes, paralysis, etc etc caused by hysteria, maybe because he just touched these, or pushed mud in their eyes, or whatever, would have seemed to be utterly miraculous.

How much do you know about the various conditions which were once bundled together as hysteria?

Ubon

There is seeing what you are told to see, or not seeing which is through faith.

Or simply believing what you see.

Muffled

Jesus in me

Just to tighten things up a bit, I looked at Matthew 17:15 in 56 Bibles and found there are nine different descriptions of the son's condition:

Is an epileptic
Has epilepsy
Is a Lunatic/Lunatick
Has seizures
Is mentally deranged
Shakes wildly
Is very sick and at times loses the use of his mind
Suffers from awful fits
A bad spirit is in him

which Matthew 17:18 says is a condition evidently caused by (again, from the 56 versions):

A Demon
The Devil
An Evil/bad spirit

whom Jesus rebuked, ordered, reprimanded, commanded, blamed, or spoke harshly to.

I car pooled with an epileptic. I don't believe he ever had it try to throw him into a fire or drown him. Those things could happen accidentally but a syndrome of those things happening suggests an enemy at work.