1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Featured Epilepsy = demonic possession!

Discussion in 'General Religious Debates' started by JJ50, Sep 5, 2017.

1. oldbadger

oldbadger Skanky Old Mongrel!

Ratings:
    +6,386
    Religion:
    deist
    Hi again....
    The above was sent to another member.

Surely every Christian has to believe in both Angels and Demons? Because if they don't then they don't believe in all of the gospels?

An interesting kind of conundrum?

2. oldbadger

Ratings:
    +6,386
    Religion:
    deist
    Yes to the above.
    Of course neurology is all about physical brain and its activity, but by calming and/or protecting folks from outside influences epilepsy and also psychological hysteria can be reduced or even controlled.

There are many examples:

Because flashing lights can trigger some seizures many TV stations warn viewers if flasshing lights will be shown.

Children singing in groups or choirs. Yep!
    This often triggered both epileptic and hysterical fits in a woman. Her family had forced her to have an abortion when she was a girl, which might possibly have been connected.

Flight-travel. I'm amazed at how often 'first seizures' occur after airline travel.

Road anger incidents. Stress at work. Domestic argument or disturbance.

And so epilepsy is, as you say, NOT just a physical condition requiring medication or brain surgery.

3. Shadow Wolf

Shadow Wolf Rival's Wife

Ratings:
    +25,963
    Religion:
    God is in the Rain
    Both the Russian (Soviet at the time) and American governments ceases research, and most if not all reputable universities shut down their own programs into it because there was just nothing to be found or had.

4. Etritonakin

Etritonakin Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +362
    Well..... They are known for telling us everything that is going on, so.... I guess I buy that.
    :oops:

5. Skwim

Skwim Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +11,919
    Religion:
    Atheist
    Having grown up in a family "plagued" by epilepsy it's obvious you've been somewhat misinformed about the nature of the affliction. Calming has absolutely no effect on reducing the onset or the control of epileptic seizures. About all it can offer is psychological comfort---as with any ailment---the neural episode itself is not affected. However, protecting people from epileptic triggers such as flashing lights and person specific triggers can reduce incident rates. That there exists such psychological triggers does not mitigate the nature of the seizure condition: a disruption of the normal electrochemical function of the brain wherein a sudden, uncontrolled, surge in the normal electrical activity occurs, which is a purely "physical condition."

#105 Skwim, Sep 7, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  6. oldbadger

Ratings:
    +6,386
    Religion:
    deist
    Having lived beside extreme epilepsy for 20 years it's obvious that you could have benefited from a much wider view of and about epilepsy.

Just see what happens to many epileptics if they are upset.
    See what can happen to epileptics if they are exposed to certain sounds and types of light, strobes etc.

Too late...... you needed to consider all this before your last para.

Yeah..... but so what?
    This is all about how various kinds of seizures could have been recognised as Demonic possression, and how, say, Jesus could have been seen to treat them.

And in the case of hysteria, which is present in a higher % of mediteranean males than, say, Northern European males, and manifests itself in apparent conditions ranging from blindness to strokes, paralysis and many many others, an adored and followed person like Jesus could have had amazing results.

The mere presence of such a person can make a very significant difference in such cases.

And so, whilst Jesus could have been 'seen' to caste out demons and even bring folks back to life (epilpsy) he could have been seen to cure the blind, help the disabled to walk, cure most any 'thing'.

That really what this is all about........
    Causes.... and effects...... the neurological science about epilepsy and how a seizure occurs is besides the point, don't you think?

7. Skwim

Skwim Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +11,919
    Religion:
    Atheist
    You are quite right, for some people upsetting situations can trigger seizures.

Sorry for having misread your

"And so epilepsy is, as you say, NOT just a physical condition requiring medication or brain surgery."​
    as

"And so epilepsy is, as you say, NOT just a physical condition"
    My bad.

If your point was merely about how various kinds of seizures could have been recognized as Demonic possession, yes; however, you did delve into more than that.

AND, you have my sympathy for "having lived beside extreme epilepsy for 20 years" and my condolences for whoever had the condition. Of those in my family only one ever had a tonic-clonic seizure, and as I understand it this was a one-time occurrence. All the others had the much milder simple partial seizures.

• Like Like x 1
  8. oldbadger

Ratings:
    +6,386
    Religion:
    deist
    Cool :)
    No Probs.....

For what it's worth, I've never heard the term 'tonic-clonic'.

I'm sad that the thread focuses on just epilepsy, because I reckon that hysteria had even more to do with the majority of Jesus's successes that epilepsy. I lived beside the most extreme hysteria (as well) and most of my experiences would be 'hard to believe' even for psychos.

Northern European Males tend not to be affected (N.E.females do) but Latin males are exposed to hysteria. Did you ever watch the 'Sopranos'? Tony Soprano suffered from a type of panic attacks which looked like physical conditions to those around, as did his father and his son and although I guess this series is fiction these details surely got dug up from some factual basis.

In the series 'Band of Brothers' which I believe was written from eye witness accounts, a (latin?) soldier who was exposed to extreme trauma, fear etc experienced blindness for a time.

Long-short, I reckon that Mediterranean males (like the Latins) are more likely to experience hysteria, which could explain the majority of the reported miracles, leaving demonic casting and back-to-life within the epilepsy bracket. But do you think I can find any who actually know about this subject... hysteria? Nada.

9. Muffled

Muffled Jesus in me

Ratings:
    +1,246
    Religion:
    Christian
    I believe ASV calls him an epileptic but KJV calls him a lunatic. Obviously there is a big difference and my guess is that someone doing ASV decided to editorialize. No-one at the time knew what epilepsy was and it is vast supposition to say it wa when Jesus who is God in the flesh and knows all things says He cast out a demon.

I believe your characterization is extreme. No doubt there are some who fall into error but I wouldn't call it ultra extreme.

I believe I and my wife have had encounters with demons and don't doubt their existence. I also believe there are those who are so materially minded that they can't envision the truth.

I certainly am not that silly nor do I think that people who have diseases that cause them to move jerkily are possessed but I do believe some Schizophrenics most likely are and some are simply more open to the spirit world.

10. Muffled

Muffled Jesus in me

Ratings:
    +1,246
    Religion:
    Christian
    I believe I would go with the idea that he was just stupid and overreached his perch.

11. Muffled

Muffled Jesus in me

Ratings:
    +1,246
    Religion:
    Christian
    I believe it works both ways. Doctors can be just as stupid and stubborn as people. My mother had senility which is similar to Alzheimer's. She couldn't remember who I was. It is a very different syndrome from possession.

12. BilliardsBall

BilliardsBall Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +786
    Religion:
    Messianic Jewish Christianity
    It is also forgivable to read the Bible wrong and be corrected.

Note carefully in Matthew 8 and elsewhere where in the same sentence it says, "He cast out the demons and also healed all those who were ill."

Some afflictions are demonic. Others are viral, genetic, psychological. Every careful reader of the scripture and every logical person who loves Jesus and knows the supernatural is real knows this.

I'm sorry if you've been abused by some religious people but some people need exorcisms, some need divine healing and some need antibiotics.

13. Kemosloby

Kemosloby Well-Known Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1,231
    Religion:
    Christian
    But what made him stupid? Demons?

14. Skwim

Skwim Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +11,919
    Religion:
    Atheist

Just to tighten things up a bit, I looked at Matthew 17:15 in 56 Bibles and found there are nine different descriptions of the son's condition:

Is an epileptic
    Has epilepsy
    Is a Lunatic/Lunatick
    Has seizures
    Is mentally deranged
    Shakes wildly
    Is very sick and at times loses the use of his mind
    Suffers from awful fits
    A bad spirit is in him

which Matthew 17:18 says is a condition evidently caused by (again, from the 56 versions):

A Demon
    The Devil
    An Evil/bad spirit

whom Jesus rebuked, ordered, reprimanded, commanded, blamed, or spoke harshly to.

#114 Skwim, Sep 7, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2017
  15. Kelly of the Phoenix

Kelly of the Phoenix Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,911
    Religion:
    "Post" Christian, likely Deist
    And you have their medical records to prove it? How come we hardly ever if never hear of these random photo op people ever again?

That's like saying Jesus had some good meals for the throngs sometimes and then not asking about if anyone was hungry the next day.

Though there is enough evidence to suggest that power of suggestion helped most of those people. Just not being a jerk can do wonders for the healing process. When I was a CNA, there was this one patient who was there after a stroke and couldn't be understood, like, ever. I would spend some of my free time with her, having "conversations" with her. By the time I quit that job, she could form complete sentences (they were random because she was crazy, but she was talking, right?). I didn't give her meds and I didn't do any kind of faith healing: I was just nice and the practice of talking in actual conversations improved her condition.

Yep. Nursing 101: Follow up documentation is vital. :)

Except Headless John. With God, nothing is impossible except fighting against iron weapons and bring the headless back to life. :)

There is only one demon worth watching (clips are dubbed over, so no language worries, LOL):

But do you know WHY?

16. England my lionheart

England my lionheart Rockerjahili Rebel
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +2,976
    Religion:
    Atheist
    I've seen many seizures,there are different types from absence to to tonic clonic which is life threatening,sometimes strange noises from them and odd behaviour but its not a mythological creature doing it.

17. Kemosloby

Kemosloby Well-Known Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1,231
    Religion:
    Christian
    You never hear about them again because they don't need a follow up visit.

18. oldbadger

Ratings:
    +6,386
    Religion:
    deist
    No Kelly.... :)
    I can only guess that a stressed, upset, frightened, angry, excited person is activating all manner of brain circuits and thus causing some lock-up or frenzy within that organ?

19. oldbadger

Ratings:
    +6,386
    Religion:
    deist
    Sure....
    But Galilean peasants thought that it was demons, or even death. It's not what you or I think but what ancient peasants thought.

And Hysteria could imitate scores of serious physical conditions, and the right person could 'cure' these conditions instantly, sometimes by just attending. I've seen it happen many times.

20. oldbadger

Ratings:
    +6,386
    Religion:
    deist
    Did they get a letter to that effect? :p

• Winner Winner x 1