• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Epic Literature

Vouthon

Dominus Deus tuus ignis consumens est
Staff member
Premium Member
What's your favourite piece of epic literature?

The Sumerian Gilgamesh? The Indian Mahabharata or Ramayana? The Persian Shahnameh or Rumi's Masnavi? Homer's Iliad or Odyessy? Virgil's Aeneid? Dante's Divine Comedy? The Book of Job in the Hebrew Bible? John Milton's Paradise Lost? The Finnish Kalevala? The Arabic One Thousand and One Nights?

Or one of the many other examples of the genre?

I extend this to modern literature as well, like epic novels (i.e. War and Peace by Tolstoy, The Lord of the Rings by JRR Tolkien).

Last edited:

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
What's your favourite piece of epic literature?

The Sumerian Gilgamesh? The Indian Mahabharata or Ramayana? The Persian Shahnameh or Rumi's Masnavi? Homer's Iliad or Odyessy? Virgil's Aeneid? Dante's Divine Comedy? The Book of Job in the Hebrew Bible? John Milton's Paradise Lost? The Finnish Kalevala? The Arabic One Thousand and One Nights?

Or one of the many other examples of the genre?

I extend this to modern literature as well, like epic novels (i.e. War and Peace by Tolstoy, The Lord of the Rings by JRR Tolkien).
I liked Mahabharata among the classics the best. LOTR and War and Peace are superb among the modern epics.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
From the list given there is no question for me, and it is the most known ancient of ancients epic literature, and is in it's original form with variations. The story it tells of the conflict between the civilized man, Gilgamesh, and the primitive man Enkido, is very enlightened on the nature of being human.
It clearly shows the earliest evolution of oral traditional epics that evolved into a written epic.

Last edited:

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
My favorites: Ramayana, Yoga Vasistha, Ashtavakra Gita,
But you can wake me up anytime with an inspiring quote from any scripture dealing with Self Knowledge or Devotion.

Jumi

I'm not biased when I say Kalevala, the national epic here. ;) Translations don't do justice to it though, it was never meant to be a universal thing.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
I remember really enjoying Percy Shelley's The Sensitive Plant, but not sure if this counts.

sealchan

Mahabharata is awesome
Bible too
Lord of the Rings
Le Morte D'Arthur
Asimov's Foundation series

r2d2009

An example of modern epic literature:

71774396_2109796259329130_7204370767851552768_n.jpg

the Great Traveler walked along the land.

His Greatness was revealed only for few people. His clothes were simple. The hooded cloak covered His body from winds and bad weather, it also served as a bed. The Traveler did not have a sword or bow. Only a staff and knife on the belt were useful on the way.

He had two companions: a white wolf named Tryuggvi which means the Faithful, and a raven named Alvis that means Wise.

Many years ago, the Traveler picked up this fledgling of a raven and cured his broken wing.

And he rescued a white wolf’s cub from a trapping pit…

Both the rescued became for a long time companions in the wanderings of the Traveler.

And His life was much greater than the duration of mortal age.

He walked on the land with a body like the body of an ordinary man: white as snow curly hair to the shoulders, a white beard, a young man’s carriage and a light step, powerful shoulders and the hands of a mature husband full of unprecedented strength. Also — the radiant look of a Man Who perceives what is happening in the world — from the Great Divine Depths.

The raven flied high in the sky and sometimes spoke something to Olav in soft guttural cries. And Olav understood its language.

It was possible to think that the raven sees further… But it was not so. No matter how far Alvis soared in the sky, Olav saw further…

The radiant Image from the Light with the face of Olav covered Him in space, rose into the sky, pierced space in all directions with the streams of Divine Power — as if there was no earthly firmament!

It proceeded from the Depths, into which small souls do not look.

And any corner of the Earth could be seen by the Traveler. He could know all that He needed about every soul. All that was required was easily revealed in the gaze of the Divine Soul!

It could be thought that the tremendous wolf Tryuggvi serves as reliable protection for the relatively unarmed Wanderer… But the Power of Olav was another. It proceeded via the Ocean of the Divine Power, Which gives the right to the Lords of Power to use It in accordance with the Great United Will of all the Perfects.

Olav used to be a Wanderer, Who bypassed the land and brought order where his intervention was appropriate.

He used to be such that any creature could be perceived by Him as clearly as He perceived Himself. He could feel the growth of a small blade of grass, the inviolability of granite cliffs, and the tranquility of powerful trees. And he saw and felt every man clearly. As soon as he directed the gaze of the Soul — He could know his or her thoughts, emotions, the past of this soul and the possible future.

But He remained One with the Almighty Ocean of Love, Wisdom, and Power, Which begot and sustains the “manifested” life in the universe.

Olav became one of the Lords of the universe. He supported individual lives on the Earth with His Love and Power — the Force emanating from the Great Depths, where there was only the Ocean of God that could not be divided.

Olav looked at everything from these Depths.

He had to only stretch out his hand — and on his palm he could feel both the vessels in the stormy or calm sea, and the towns with many people inhabiting them, and the forests and seas with their inhabitants… There were no boundaries to His Omnipresence!

The Wisdom of Gods was at His disposal, and any knowledge He could draw from this Source of Wisdom.

His every word or action achieved the goal. Therefore, He did not speak unnecessary words and did not perform actions without need.

Read More:
https://swami-center.org/en/text/saga-of-odin/page_10.shtml