• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Environment and Mental Health

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
We helped some friends move yesterday. While I didn't see the bulk of it, I guess when my husband and son walked into their apartment, they about broke into panic attacks. The trash was piled up past a foot high in most places. It was just good old fashioned filth.

Neither friend has good mental health status. Its possible(if not probable) that their mental health prevents them from keeping the place up. However, my husband brought up the idea that perhaps living in that kind of mess causes mental health problems. Somewhat of a case of the chicken and the egg, I suppose. However, I suspect there's some truth to it.

The question I ask then, is how much does one's environment impact their mental health? I'm talking strictly the physical environment, not the people in it. Does having a well cared for house make a difference? Does it go beyond being neat and clean and into decor or how well maintained it is(such as keeping up on painting/cosmetic repairs). How about the greater environment as a whole? Can a mountain lover be happy in the fields, or a beach bum content in a desert?

There's no way to have definitive proof here, just curious to hear what others think.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
We helped some friends move yesterday. While I didn't see the bulk of it, I guess when my husband and son walked into their apartment, they about broke into panic attacks. The trash was piled up past a foot high in most places. It was just good old fashioned filth.

Neither friend has good mental health status. Its possible(if not probable) that their mental health prevents them from keeping the place up. However, my husband brought up the idea that perhaps living in that kind of mess causes mental health problems. Somewhat of a case of the chicken and the egg, I suppose. However, I suspect there's some truth to it.

The question I ask then, is how much does one's environment impact their mental health? I'm talking strictly the physical environment, not the people in it. Does having a well cared for house make a difference? Does it go beyond being neat and clean and into decor or how well maintained it is(such as keeping up on painting/cosmetic repairs). How about the greater environment as a whole? Can a mountain lover be happy in the fields, or a beach bum content in a desert?

There's no way to have definitive proof here, just curious to hear what others think.
This OP is truly a good one.

Being a person my self who went from living in a really messy apartment when i was younger to now living in a very minimalistic apartment, i can say (for me) it is very clear that living in the trash do keep our energy very low, and it causes us to feel down and depressed.

The transformation from a messy home enviroment to a very clean one, it is very hard on the mind and even the body, because going from one side of the spectrum to the other one, take time for the mind to adjust to.
Every habbit one has has to change from within us, so we do not get to lazy and just throw things around us, but actually clean up our space each time we used something.

For me personally that transformation took about fully two years to complete

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
This OP is truly a good one.

Being a person my self who went from living in a really messy apartment when i was younger to now living in a very minimalistic apartment, i can say (for me) it is very clear that living in the trash do keep our energy very low, and it causes us to feel down and depressed.

The transformation from a messy home enviroment to a very clean one, it is very hard on the mind and even the body, because going from one side of the spectrum to the other one, take time for the mind to adjust to.
Every habbit one has has to change from within us, so we do not get to lazy and just throw things around us, but actually clean up our space each time we used something.

For me personally that transformation took about fully two years to complete

This is really insightful, thanks.

Do you think it would be potentially harmful to take a person who was used to a messy house and place them long term in an overly sterile environment?

And what, if any, influence do you think the condition of a dwelling or its furnishings have? For example, do you feel having run down(but clean) furniture would mentally affect a person?

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
Maybe it could have been the house causing the issues. But I used to watch a show about people who hoarded and didn't keep their house up. In these shows, until the person could get some counseling, sometimes when they get the problem fixed or go to a new home, the mess can build right back up again.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
This is really insightful, thanks.

Do you think it would be potentially harmful to take a person who was used to a messy house and place them long term in an overly sterile environment?

And what, if any, influence do you think the condition of a dwelling or its furnishings have? For example, do you feel having run down(but clean) furniture would mentally affect a person?
First of all, you are very welcome :)

I would think if you take someone who have lived in a messy home, and suddenly make them live in a very clean and maybe even minimalistic home over night, that might create a mental brakedown in the beginning. But if the person are aware of their messy problems, it can also lead to a form of awakening for them. That WOW i like this new way of life.
Then it can lead to bordom where the person just do not know what to do in a clean home.

You can also get a physical reaction where they get sick from not being exposed to the same bacteria they are used to (this happend to me) so they actually get sick for some time until their body can adjust to the cleaner better life.

Last edited:

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
Maybe it could have been the house causing the issues. But I used to watch a show about people who hoarded and didn't keep their house up. In these shows, until the person could get some counseling, sometimes when they get the problem fixed or go to a new home, the mess can build right back up again.

They've always had the issues since we've known them, and they've always had a messy house, though I hear this particular house was the worst of any of them. I honestly doubt they took the trash out for several months, possibly longer(the area was dangerous, and one was terrified to go to the dumpster, the other just didn't care).

I've heard of the hoarding shows, though... think I've seen them once or twice.. it does seem that hoarding is caused by something psychological, though it goes on to make everything in life worse for the person. Though hoarding and dirtiness don't always go hand in hand. My grandmother is a pretty bad hoarder, but her house is immaculate(and if you lift one of her beautiful rugs, you'll find at least 20 magazines from the 70s under there). My husband is a mild hoarder, but somewhat of a neat freak.

Do you think the need to collect/hoard stems from the same or a different place than an inability/lack of desire to keep one's surroundings sanitary?

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
Do you think the need to collect/hoard stems from the same or a different place than an inability/lack of desire to keep one's surroundings sanitary?

That's a tough one. All I can say is that sometimes buying things makes me happy, and using them. Stuff in general. However after awhile I see my corner cluttered and I get unhappy. So I have to realize the key to being at peace is not things.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
First of all, you are very welcome :)

I would think if you take someone who have lived in a messy home, and suddenly make them live in a very clean and maybe even minimalistic home over night, that might create a mental brakedown in the beginning. But of the person are aware of their messy problems, it can also lead to a form of awakening for them. That WOW i like this new way of life.
Then it can lead to bordom where the person just do not know what to do in a clean home.

You can also get a physical reaction where they get sick from not being exposed to the same bacteria they are used to (this happend to me) so they actually get sick for some time until their body can adjust to the cleaner better life.

That makes sense to me. I grew up in a clean, but not perfect house. There were never any major messes, but toys may have been left out. Everything was sanitary, but I don't recall my mom ever dusting(unless Grandma was coming over). When I would go to friends' houses that were immaculate, things felt a little...cold. Sterile. On the other hand, I did have a friend who lived in absolute filth as a child. While I loved her and her family dearly, and didn't let the mess stop me from visiting, I would hold my pee until I couldn't stand it because their bathroom made me gag.

Do you think our own experiences growing up make a difference?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
That makes sense to me. I grew up in a clean, but not perfect house. There were never any major messes, but toys may have been left out. Everything was sanitary, but I don't recall my mom ever dusting(unless Grandma was coming over). When I would go to friends' houses that were immaculate, things felt a little...cold. Sterile. On the other hand, I did have a friend who lived in absolute filth as a child. While I loved her and her family dearly, and didn't let the mess stop me from visiting, I would hold my pee until I couldn't stand it because their bathroom made me gag.

Do you think our own experiences growing up make a difference?
Yes i do believe our experiences in life from childhood do make a huge part of how we think as adults.
But, there are two ways to look at it in my understanding.

A life in the filth as child can lead to it continues as an adult because it is what we are used to, and know. So we are afraid of doing the change because the unknow scare us.

Or, a life in the filth in the childhood can lead us to understand how damaging it is to us as human beings and that when we have a clean home our mind also become clean and healthy.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
Yes i do believe our experiences in life from childhood do make a huge part of how we think as adults.
But, there are two ways to look at it in my understanding.

A life in the filth as child can lead to it continues as an adult because it is what we are used to, and know. So we are afraid of doing the change because the unknow scare us.

Or, a life in the filth in the childhood can lead us to understand how damaging it is to us as human beings and that when we have a clean home our mind also become clean and healthy.

Another thing people don't always think about with a person who grew up in filth and then continue it... they may not know how to clean. I know that sounds absurd, but I witness that sometimes... there really is a skill to it. In a huge mess, even the best of us can have trouble processing... With my own kids, I've learned I can't say 'clean your room'. I have to say 'go into your room, clean up your socks, take the dishes out of your room, and pick up any candy wrappers off the ground'. And then keep instructing until the mess is gone...

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Another thing people don't always think about with a person who grew up in filth and then continue it... they may not know how to clean. I know that sounds absurd, but I witness that sometimes... there really is a skill to it. In a huge mess, even the best of us can have trouble processing... With my own kids, I've learned I can't say 'clean your room'. I have to say 'go into your room, clean up your socks, take the dishes out of your room, and pick up any candy wrappers off the ground'. And then keep instructing until the mess is gone...
Holy crap that hit right home at me :eek: LOL you really caught me off guard with the first part of your answer:oops:

Yes i was the one who did not know how to clean, and unfortunalty for me, i had parents who was sick for many years of my life, so they was unable to help me learn, so i can not blame them for being bad parents.
But, I can blame my self for being so incredible lazy person as a child and teenager.

I do agree with you by the way

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
Holy crap that hit right home at me :eek: LOL you really caught me off guard with the first part of your answer:oops:

Yes i was the one who did not know how to clean, and unfortunalty for me, i had parents who was sick for many years of my life, so they was unable to help me learn, so i can not blame them for being bad parents.
But, I can blame my self for being so incredible lazy person as a child and teenager.

I do agree with you by the way

Parent's aren't perfect. I'm sorry yours weren't healthy. Its good you recognize their limitations without holding it against them. :glomp:

Were you really lazy or preoccupied? I had one HORRIBLY messy room as a teen. I wasn't lazy, so much... honestly, my life was so full... it just wasn't a priority.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Parent's aren't perfect. I'm sorry yours weren't healthy. Its good you recognize their limitations without holding it against them. :glomp:

Were you really lazy or preoccupied? I had one HORRIBLY messy room as a teen. I wasn't lazy, so much... honestly, my life was so full... it just wasn't a priority.
I call it lazy, but probably it was more of a mental thing due to i was bullied so much as child and teen, so my mind was more on the how to survive mode than caring for others or my own physcal space at home.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
I call it lazy, but probably it was more of a mental thing due to i was bullied so much as child and teen, so my mind was more on the how to survive mode than caring for others or my own physcal space at home.

I can relate. The house I lived in with my oldest son's father was a big mess. But he was abusive, didn't work(or clean, or care for himself), took my cash... I was so overwhelmed, I didn't even care. I just wanted to provide care for my son, and keep away from the ex the best I could. What did I care if the sink was full of dishes? I was more worried the angry man in the other room would come out and start some fight with me...

I guess in this case, the mess was brought on by mental dysfunction.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I can relate. The house I lived in with my oldest son's father was a big mess. But he was abusive, didn't work(or clean, or care for himself), took my cash... I was so overwhelmed, I didn't even care. I just wanted to provide care for my son, and keep away from the ex the best I could. What did I care if the sink was full of dishes? I was more worried the angry man in the other room would come out and start some fight with me...

I guess in this case, the mess was brought on by mental dysfunction.
It sound like a form of mental dysfunctional yes

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I think that when we first realize the "light bulb" moment of I have to change to get out of this mess, that is when our brain start to look for solutions, and even before we can see it, we start to put a form of goal in our mind. "I want to get to this point in my life"

But we are not prepared for the setbacks life will throw at us, so many people give up to early in the prosess. and they fall back to the "comfort" they know

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
I think that when we first realize the "light bulb" moment of I have to change to get out of this mess, that is when our brain start to look for solutions, and even before we can see it, we start to put a form of goal in our mind. "I want to get to this point in my life"

But we are not prepared for the setbacks life will throw at us, so many people give up to early in the prosess. and they fall back to the "comfort" they know

You're absolutely right. I remember thinking that exact thought at the time of living with the ex, though the 'mess' I thought of was not the messy house, it was the mess of my life. It was hard to get out of, you're right. And I did feel like giving up at times... but, here I am now.

I think another problem when getting out a a physical mess is replacing the bad habits. We can go through and clean up the messiest of dwellings in a bit of time, but if we don't change our habits, it will be trashed again in no time. Its probably easier to build positive habits when one is in a good place, mentally, then when one feels defeated or weak.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
You're absolutely right. I remember thinking that exact thought at the time of living with the ex, though the 'mess' I thought of was not the messy house, it was the mess of my life. It was hard to get out of, you're right. And I did feel like giving up at times... but, here I am now.

I think another problem when getting out a a physical mess is replacing the bad habits. We can go through and clean up the messiest of dwellings in a bit of time, but if we don't change our habits, it will be trashed again in no time. Its probably easier to build positive habits when one is in a good place, mentally, then when one feels defeated or weak.
You know, talking with you in this thread, made me realize that what i am going through right now with going from eating meat, to becoming a vegetarian and now a vegan, plus the way i live a minimalistic life. has everything to do with how my life was before.
It is just a long line of changes that happen for a reason, and it all happens naturally when my mind have become aware of what is needed for me to feel fully embraced in this life :)

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
You know, talking with you in this thread, made me realize that what i am going through right now with going from eating meat, to becoming a vegetarian and now a vegan, plus the way i live a minimalistic life. has everything to do with how my life was before.
It is just a long line of changes that happen for a reason, and it all happens naturally when my mind have become aware of what is needed for me to feel fully embraced in this life :)

I think its great that you've done it all in your own time, at your own pace. Like you were saying before you can't just go from a big mess to a sterile environment without shocking the system. The pace in which you're going at better sets you up for success.