• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Enough To Make Fair-Minded Christians Sick To Their Stomachs

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
I see that you did not understand the point.

No, the Declaration of Independence is a valid document. It is the document that separated us from Britain. But that is as far as it goes. Anyone that has studied history would know this. Of course strawmanning an argument is a tacit admission that one is wrong.

The document separated us from Britain, not on the basis of taxation without representation, but on the basis of "no King but Jesus!"

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
No, sorry. That is not the case. Now I doubt if one could find a Muslim that stupid. But one can find a Christian that is:

Man Arrested After Telling Kids Santa Claus is 'Not Real'

If someone that did not belong to a church tried to preach his message there the results would likely be the same. Being arrested for trespass. There are limits on a person's rights. They end when they are inflicted on others. If one invades the space that belongs to someone else. Or has a captive audience, like in schools, then you have no right to proselytize.

Well, IF I have no right to proselytize, I do it anyway, just not at RF. :)

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
I'm looking for what I ask for, I assure you. There's no need to erroneously attempt to read my mind.
But once again, the fact that you refuse to answer speaks volumes about how you feel about your own position.

By now, I've forgotten what your latest question was, refresh my memory and I will IMMEDIATELY respond without equivocation.

A Vestigial Mote

Why would I be discouraged to learn a skeptic is behaving exactly as the Bible predicts. If you actually weren't a strong advocate for your side against the Word of God, that would DISPROVE the Bible.
I always find this particular tack by Christians funny... and it always seems to come out when I feel they are the most worn out, or beaten down. "You know, you're proving The Bible correct by persecuting me." Am I now? Then hey - why not just go out looking to be persecuted? Why not just step-up your annoyance of those around you by a notch or two, really get up in people's faces and try to actively be persecuted? Wouldn't that just be GREAT? I mean... then The Bible is proven even MORE correct, right? The more persecution the better... that's what I always say.

I hope you can read the sarcasm in there. Trying to "get the last word" by saying people who are opposing you are "proving The Bible" is a cheap reverse-psychology trick. So I'll just tell you - the trick didn't work. I'd be extremely surprised if it ever does.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
Why would I be discouraged to learn a skeptic is behaving exactly as the Bible predicts. If you actually weren't a strong advocate for your side against the Word of God, that would DISPROVE the Bible.

I evangelize to groups and individuals, and see people trust Jesus on a routine basis. No worries.
So the Bible says that a skeptical person will behave like a skeptical person and you take that as some kind of wise prediction from a deity that proves that the entire Bible is true?
That's quite the leap you've made.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
By now, I've forgotten what your latest question was, refresh my memory and I will IMMEDIATELY respond without equivocation.
It was more of a point than a question ...

Remember I told the story about the Jewish boy who had to leave the classroom once a week while the rest of us sang praises to Jesus?

Then I pointed out that your right to your own religious beliefs ends when it interferes with other peoples' right to their own religious beliefs, or lack thereof, in a public school setting.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member

I evangelize to groups and individuals, and see people trust Jesus on a routine basis. No worries.
If you do so away from public schools no worries. Otherwise you make the school at the very least subject to a lawsuit that they would lose.

And it is amazing that you do not realize that the writers of the Bible were not total idiots.

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
I always find this particular tack by Christians funny... and it always seems to come out when I feel they are the most worn out, or beaten down. "You know, you're proving The Bible correct by persecuting me." Am I now? Then hey - why not just go out looking to be persecuted? Why not just step-up your annoyance of those around you by a notch or two, really get up in people's faces and try to actively be persecuted? Wouldn't that just be GREAT? I mean... then The Bible is proven even MORE correct, right? The more persecution the better... that's what I always say.

I hope you can read the sarcasm in there. Trying to "get the last word" by saying people who are opposing you are "proving The Bible" is a cheap reverse-psychology trick. So I'll just tell you - the trick didn't work. I'd be extremely surprised if it ever does.

So--your response to is to persist in and escalate your behavior? I just opened the door to disproving the Bible--love me, just as I love my enemies (you're not my enemy, just rude to me, but I love you). And your response is--"OH YOU WANT ME TO BE A NICE PERSON? WHY DON'T YOU GO OUT AND GET MORE PERSECUTION SINCE YOU LOVE MY ABUSE SO MUCH!"

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
So the Bible says that a skeptical person will behave like a skeptical person and you take that as some kind of wise prediction from a deity that proves that the entire Bible is true?
That's quite the leap you've made.

The Bible says skeptics are rude, unable to contemplate basic Bible truths, immoral, etc. and EVERY skeptic I've encountered bears these marks. Be kind and respectful to me, show me love, and you disprove the Bible. What say you?

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
It was more of a point than a question ...

Remember I told the story about the Jewish boy who had to leave the classroom once a week while the rest of us sang praises to Jesus?

Then I pointed out that your right to your own religious beliefs ends when it interferes with other peoples' right to their own religious beliefs, or lack thereof, in a public school setting.

Absolutely not true but good try! The child who wears a Jesus T-Shirt to school and is sent home by the principal . . .

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
If you do so away from public schools no worries. Otherwise you make the school at the very least subject to a lawsuit that they would lose.

And it is amazing that you do not realize that the writers of the Bible were not total idiots.

It is amazing that you use double negative sentences.

A Vestigial Mote

So--your response to is to persist in and escalate your behavior? I just opened the door to disproving the Bible--love me, just as I love my enemies (you're not my enemy, just rude to me, but I love you). And your response is--"OH YOU WANT ME TO BE A NICE PERSON? WHY DON'T YOU GO OUT AND GET MORE PERSECUTION SINCE YOU LOVE MY ABUSE SO MUCH!"
I was only trying to point out how strange it is to say that some behavior of mine proves The Bible.

It is just as strange to say that you "opened the door to disproving The Bible" by displaying a lack of "love for your enemies." Why should your, personal behavior disprove The Bible? Why should my, personal behavior prove The Bible? It's a weird notion. I do not know how you can hold such ideas and think them perfectly rational/logical/normal.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
The Bible says skeptics are rude, unable to contemplate basic Bible truths, immoral, etc. and EVERY skeptic I've encountered bears these marks. Be kind and respectful to me, show me love, and you disprove the Bible. What say you?
Every skeptic you've encountered is immoral? I don't buy that.
Every skeptic you've encountered is rude? I don't buy that.
Every skeptic you've encountered is unable to contemplate basic Bible truths? I don't buy that.

Sounds like confirmation bias or a self-fulfilling prophecy to me to me - you are seeing what you want to/expect to see.

And you know, anybody can be a skeptic. Even a Christian. ;)

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
Absolutely not true but good try!

Absolutely not? So you think the Constitution gives you the right to force your religion onto others in a public school setting where kids don't have any choice in the matter? That your right to your own religious beliefs doesn't end when it interferes with other peoples' right to their own religious belief?
How do you figure?

And you think skeptics are the rude ones?
The child who wears a Jesus T-Shirt to school and is sent home by the principal . . .
How about we stick to my example instead of moving to another one that is very different from the one we're talking about.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Really? I have found that those are usually the flaws of fundamentalists. Not all Christians have those flaws but far too many fundies do.

By the way, people have been kind and respectful to you in the past. Any "attacks" that you see have almost certainly been well earned.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
That you think sharing the gospel in schools, prisons and even CHURCHES does harm IS the problem!
Where did I say that doing so in churches is a problem? The example I brought up was that of a Muslim trying to preach in say your church for example. But yes, "sharing" the Gospel is almost certainly illegal in schools. One has to be very aware of the rights of others when it comes to captive audiences.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
It is amazing that you use double negative sentences.
There is nothing wrong with double negatives if used properly. If you need a translation I can give it to you. In fact I will break up the sentence that you had trouble understanding:

The writers of the Bible were not total idiots. Amazingly you do not seem to realize this.

There you go. Two separate sentences. You made the error of basing your belief partially on a defensive verse. It is almost as silly as basing your belief upon:

"My opponents will try to stop me when I strike at them". A person goes out and attacks several people and amazingly other people stop him. Would that confirm that persons "bible" or was it merely a statement of the obvious? Be astounded by the obvious should not count as evidence for a god.