• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Enlightenment - Self-Actualization

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Was Jesus trying to start a fire; when he mentioned that he was bringing fire? like Prometheus?

Deuteronomy 32:22
For a fire will be kindled by my wrath, one that burns down to the realm of the dead below. It will devour the earth and its harvests and set afire the foundations of the mountains.

Luke 12:49
“I have come to bring fire on the earth, and how I wish it were already kindled!

Was buddha doing the same with his thoughts:

The Buddha said, “Those who rejoice in seeing others observe the Way will obtain great blessing.” A Sramana asked the Buddha, “Would this blessing be destroyed?” The Buddha replied, “It is like a lighted torch whose flame can be distributed to ever so many other torches which people may bring along; and therewith they will cook food and dispel darkness, while the original torch itself remains burning ever the same. It is even so with the bliss of the Way.”

Last edited:

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
It seems you see enlightenment as similar to, or even the same as, self-actualization. Is that so? And if it's so, then what is enlightenment to you? Or self-actualization, if that at all differs in your mind from enlightenment?

Tumah

Veteran Member
It seems you see enlightenment as similar to, or even the same as, self-actualization. Is that so? And if it's so, then what is enlightenment to you? Or self-actualization, if that at all differs in your mind from enlightenment?
Since you seem to understand what's going on here, would you mind explaining to me how you understood the OP in relation to the title?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Since you seem to understand what's going on here, would you mind explaining to me how you understood the OP in relation to the title?

Honestly, I didn't see a connection. Seems like the title and the OP could have been separate threads for all the two together make sense to me. But --- I was hoping to get a sense of how they might be connected by asking for clarification regarding what enlightenment and self-actualization mean to the thread author.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member

yes, recognizing the power of love and how it catalyzes a person to become a cocreator with others as self. Knowing they can make a difference in someone's life empowers self. It breaches the void between the illusion of forms and reflects as a mirror in action. Empathy. Friendship is the greatest love of All

everyone longs to love and be loved.

some believe that Love(God) is separate from self and earth. That is a gulf created by the conditional mind.

1 John 4:8
Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love.

Jeremiah 31:34
No longer will they teach their neighbor, or say to one another, ‘Know the Lord,’ because they will all know me, from the least of them to the greatest,” declares the Lord. “For I will forgive their wickedness and will remember their sins no more.”

“The Revelation of Sonmi 451 To be is to be perceived, and so to know thyself is only possible through the eyes of the other. The nature of our immortal lives is in the consequences of our words and deeds, that go on and are pushing themselves throughout all time. - Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb, we are bound to others, past and present, and by each crime and every kindness, we birth our future.” - David Mitchell - Cloud Atlas

namaste, to the light of love christ/krishna consciousness in you!!!!

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member
Was Jesus trying to start a fire; when he mentioned that he was bringing fire? like Prometheus?

Deuteronomy 32:22
For a fire will be kindled by my wrath, one that burns down to the realm of the dead below. It will devour the earth and its harvests and set afire the foundations of the mountains.

Luke 12:49
“I have come to bring fire on the earth, and how I wish it were already kindled!

Was buddha doing the same with his thoughts:

The Buddha said, “Those who rejoice in seeing others observe the Way will obtain great blessing.” A Sramana asked the Buddha, “Would this blessing be destroyed?” The Buddha replied, “It is like a lighted torch whose flame can be distributed to ever so many other torches which people may bring along; and therewith they will cook food and dispel darkness, while the original torch itself remains burning ever the same. It is even so with the bliss of the Way.”

Which fire was Jesus speaking about? He was a spiritual Person and His Message was a spiritual one not an earthly one.

Could Jesus have wished that the 'fire of the love of God' would be kindled in everyone's hearts?

Or that the 'fire of truth' burn away the vain imaginings and veils that prevented the people from seeing Who He truly was?

Or as in this saying:

"With fire we test the gold and with gold we test our servants"- Baha'u'llah

With Buddha I think He was saying that a lighted candle can light an unlit candle while itself still being lit. But an unlit candle cannot give light to another candle without first having been lit itself.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Which fire was Jesus speaking about? He was a spiritual Person and His Message was a spiritual one not an earthly one.

Could Jesus have wished that the 'fire of the love of God' would be kindled in everyone's hearts?

Or that the 'fire of truth' burn away the vain imaginings and veils that prevented the people from seeing Who He truly was?

Or as in this saying:

"With fire we test the gold and with gold we test our servants"- Baha'u'llah

With Buddha I think He was saying that a lighted candle can light an unlit candle while itself still being lit. But an unlit candle cannot give light to another candle without first having been lit itself.

alchemy - baptism by fire and water catalyzes

love is a catalyst