• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Enlightenment in Psychology?

Ella S.

*temp banned*
I notice that "enlightenment" is no longer just a poor catch-all English translation of dharmic ideas like moksha, nibbana, bodhi, kevala, kensho, satori, and samadhi, but it seems to be used in a more general, almost New Age sense as if it were a discrete concept on its own.

Many times, this comes with some lofty benefits, like immunity to addiction, freedom from pain, a total lack of emotional suffering, absence of desire, and so on.

Frequently, we see it described in psychological terms, as if it were a purely secular "altered state of consciousness" that's achievable through a lifetime of discipline, rather than a word that refers to a wide variety of different religious inventions.

I hear that mindfulness meditation is similar enough to Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy that it can help as a supplement for people that are seeking treatment for addiction, chronic pain, and mood disorders. Is this true? If it is true, then are the above claims just exaggerations of real benefits?

I have to admit that this seems to me like another attempt at disguising religious claims as secular ones, given that enlightenment is so often linked to the idea of shedding one's karma for the sake of liberating oneself from reincarnation, but I could be wrong.

Heyo

Veteran Member
I notice that "enlightenment" is no longer just a poor catch-all English translation of dharmic ideas like moksha, nibbana, bodhi, kevala, kensho, satori, and samadhi,
Was it ever? I always thought ...

“Enlightenment is man's release from his self-incurred tutelage. Tutelage is man's inability to make use of his understanding without direction from another. Self-incurred is this tutelage when its cause lies not in lack of reason but in lack of resolution and courage to use it without direction from another. Sapere aude! 'Have courage to use your own reason!'- that is the motto of enlightenment.”
― Immanuel Kant

idea

Question Everything
From the secular researcher stance, enlightenment may be associated with changes in brain activity and neural networks. For example experienced meditators have increased activity in the prefrontal cortex, which is involved in attentional control and emotional regulation.

Changes in brain activity and neural networks accompany transformation of one's beliefs, values, and sense of identity. *Enlightenment can be viewed as a radical shift in one's perspective on life and the world. A transcendence of the ego, a sense of oneness with all things- involves changing awareness - a developmental process with integration of different aspects of the self / physical, emotional, cognitive, spiritual perception changes.