• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Enlightenment, I don't get it

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
If it means "losing my ego", then I don't want it. Why would I want to do that? It seems to be a bizarre desire. Who doesn't want to be themself, and why?
What is "lost" is the notion of I or self.
One become just a part of existance. Human life is not the true existance of our being.

PureX

Veteran Member
If it means "losing my ego", then I don't want it. Why would I want to do that? It seems to be a bizarre desire. Who doesn't want to be themself, and why?
Your ego is not 'who you are', it's the mechanism in your mind that protects who you think you are. Which in many instances can be very inaccurate, and even harmful. Especially in the ways our ego will defend these delusions even in the face of obvious evidence to the contrary.

janesix

Your ego is not 'who you are', it's the mechanism in your mind that protects who you think you are. Which in many instances can be very inaccurate, and even harmful. Especially in the ways our ego will defend these delusions even in the face of obvious evidence to the contrary.
So they say. I think I am fine being me.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
The idea is that all is One/God/Brahman. We are temporarily under the illusion of separateness trying to find Oneness. The ego is something we cling to for many many lifetimes until we wise up to the game.

The universe is a play/drama where God/Brahman separates itself from itself in Act I and returns itself to itself in Act II. Finite limited ego existence is not our true nature and will pale on us for an infinity.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

I think it's more your ego is hiding your true self rather than defining yourself. Do you know "who" you are or do you know "what" you are?

For example, who a christian is, is a child of god. What a christian is, is a human being.

Who you are may be defined by your creativity. What you are may be defined by your title (i.e. artist).

Ego, as in what most people think is more so thinking of ourselves-our pride and so forth-is our true identity. Once you disattach yourself from "what" you think you are, your true self shows.

Nothing wrong with ego. As long as it's healthy and you still know who you are in despite what society says you are, I think you're good to go. Discernment and finding balance rather than extraction and division.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
How is that desirable? Sounds creepy to me.

It's desirable to those attracted to it and not otherwise. I don't think there's any way to explain it to someone who finds it creepy that will make real sense.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
My main objection to enlightenment is that it looks to me like it takes a lot of effort, but I see value in it.

janesix

The idea is that all is One/God/Brahman. We are temporarily under the illusion of separateness trying to find Oneness. The ego is something we cling to for many many lifetimes until we wise up to the game.

The universe is a play/drama where God/Brahman separates itself from itself in Act I and returns itself to itself in Act II. Finite limited ego existence is not our true nature and will pale on us for an infinity.
How do you know that?

Heyo

Veteran Member
"Enlightenment is man's emergence from his self-imposed nonage. Nonage is the inability to use one's own understanding without another's guidance. This nonage is self-imposed if its cause lies not in lack of understanding but in indecision and lack of courage to use one's own mind without another's guidance. Dare to know! (Sapere aude.) "Have the courage to use your own understanding," is therefore the motto of the enlightenment."

Isn't that in contradiction with your notion of "losing your ego"?

Wait, wrong enlightenment. Religion reverses everything. Never mind.