• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Energy Healing

Lightkeeper

I heard a speaker on the radio today talking about healing. He was saying that Newton physics was about the Physical world. With the advent of Quantum Physics in 1925 our world changed, because we realized everything physical was really energy. He said the field of medicine is still in the "physical" frame of mind. They give chemicals to heal and we get many side effects. His stance was that we should be using energy to heal and that each of us can be trained to heal ourselves. He talked about using the power of our subconcious mind. When you think of it placebos work on some people, because they believe they work. What do you thinnk?

Melody

Lightkeeper said:
I heard a speaker on the radio today talking about healing. He was saying that Newton physics was about the Physical world. With the advent of Quantum Physics in 1925 our world changed, because we realized everything physical was really energy. He said the field of medicine is still in the "physical" frame of mind. They give chemicals to heal and we get many side effects. His stance was that we should be using energy to heal and that each of us can be trained to heal ourselves. He talked about using the power of our subconcious mind. When you think of it placebos work on some people, because they believe they work. What do you thinnk?
I do energy work and I know many others who do as well. It works. I taught my 12 year old son how to do it when he was 10. He is able to get rid of my migraines when nothing else does and he can do it in 5 minutes. I used to dread migraines....not anymore.

My husband is an absolute skeptic but now when he gets migraines, he comes to see me instead of heading for his medicine....because I'm better. :D

If you want more information on how it actually works, this is a good book: Spiritual Healing: Scientific validation of a healing revolution by Dr. Daniel J Benor.

Since I've done energy work many times on people who absolutely do not believe it will work, I do not believe it is a placebo effect.

Anyone can be taught to do it and it doesn't require a belief in God although I read somewhere that they found those who had a belief in a higher power actually had more positive results than those who didn't believe in anything. Just a curious tidbit.

Lightkeeper

Excellent post, Melody. Thanks for the info. I think this is something to think about. It doesn't make sense that most of our medicines have long lists of side effects. That would mean they are not good for you.

Lightkeeper said:
I heard a speaker on the radio today talking about healing. He was saying that Newton physics was about the Physical world. With the advent of Quantum Physics in 1925 our world changed, because we realized everything physical was really energy. He said the field of medicine is still in the "physical" frame of mind. They give chemicals to heal and we get many side effects. His stance was that we should be using energy to heal...
What kind of energy? Thermal energy? Chemical energy? Gravitational potential energy? How does this "energy" stop neurons from sending pain messages to the brain, or fight infections?

Furthermore, if everything physical is really energy, then taking a physical pill is "using energy to heal," isn't it? :)

No*s

Captain Obvious
Lightkeeper said:

I believe placebos work, because just like we have the capacity to project illnesses onto ourselves, we also have the capacity to project wellness. We can make up an illness, and imagine ourselves well as well. Placebos may rid someone of an illness they imagined, and they may cause a person to supress symptoms. I don't believe it is mystical there.

Do I believe in spiritual "energies?" Yeah, but I don't apply such concepts to medicine ;).

Melody

Mr_Spinkles said:
What kind of energy? Thermal energy? Chemical energy? Gravitational potential energy? How does this "energy" stop neurons from sending pain messages to the brain, or fight infections?
You'll have to read the book because it's too complicated for me to explain here.

The basic view though is that the body has an energy field and it can be manipulated and when you're ill it's a physical sign that your energy field is out of whack. The book lists tests that have been done to prove this.

I'll just have to say "ditto" to what one Toledo Hospital physician said: "I don't know how it works and it's outside my scope of knowledge or experience, but I can't argue that it works."

Energy work is an alternative form of medicine and is used in conjunction with traditional medicine in hospitals....generally not to cure but to alleviate pain or side effects of chemotherapy (for example).

Halcyon

Lord of the Badgers
Furthermore, if everything physical is really energy, then taking a physical pill is "using energy to heal," isn't it? :)
Hmmm quite, if you have a problem with energy in the form of matter, then using matter to cure the problem is the most obvious and logical way to go about it.

Not to say i don't think there isn't anything to mind over matter, if you believe in the Zero Point Field then everything is linked and so, IMHO, if you're linked to something then you can affect it. There was that Russian lady who could stop frog's hearts with just her thoughts after all, although it really nackered her.

I believe placebos work, because just like we have the capacity to project illnesses onto ourselves, we also have the capacity to project wellness.
According to New Scientist journal, placebo's have a chemical effect somehow. A scientist gave people morphine to rid them of induced pain for, i think 13 days, then on the 14 day gave some saline instead, but the saline had the same effect as the morphine. Others he gave saline with a morphine inhibiting drug, and that caused no pain relieving effects. Weird, there's no scientific explaination for it though, it was one of their 13 unexplainable things!

Melody said:
You'll have to read the book because it's too complicated for me to explain here.

The basic view though is that the body has an energy field and it can be manipulated and when you're ill it's a physical sign that your energy field is out of whack. The book lists tests that have been done to prove this.
So the reason I inhaled virus spores which then attacked my throat area and caused my lymph nodes to become swollen is because my "energy field is out of whack"? Forgive me, but doesn't this sound suspiciously like New Age quackery?

Lightkeeper-- that Vibe machine is certainly quackery. All the site gives are some articles written in some newspapers (nothing from a credible medical journal), and testimonies from people who say it worked. But people can get over illnesses and migraines on their own....in order to show that this machine caused the improved health, clinical trials have to be done and the results of all of the subjects have to be recorded (not just the successes), and there must be a control group. The site gives no real evidence that the Vibe machine can do anything at all, much less that the dubious theory behind "negative frequencies" in the body is sound.

Melody

Mr_Spinkles said:
So the reason I inhaled virus spores which then attacked my throat area and caused my lymph nodes to become swollen is because my "energy field is out of whack"? Forgive me, but doesn't this sound suspiciously like New Age quackery?
The belief is that if your energy field was healthy, those virus spores would not have had any effect on you. Your body would have been able to fight off any infection before your lymph nodes became swollen.

New Age quackery? Energy work has been practiced by the Chinese and Japanese for centuries although the west has been quick to claim it as something new and wonderful. Just because our culture has little respect for anything but traditional modern medicine, it doesn't necessarily follow that it's quackery.

Melody said:
The belief is that if your energy field was healthy, those virus spores would not have had any effect on you. Your body would have been able to fight off any infection before your lymph nodes became swollen.
I can only think of two kinds of energy fields off the top of my head....gravitational fields and electromagnetic fields. I fail to see how either can ward off infection, or be "out of whack". How can you tell if someone has a 'healthy' or 'out of whack' energy field, other than by observing that they are sick and concluding that, therefore, it must be 'out of whack'?

Melody said:
New Age quackery? Energy work has been practiced by the Chinese and Japanese for centuries...
So has quackery. Only nowadays, the superstition is couched in scientific terms.

Melody said:
... although the west has been quick to claim it as something new and wonderful. Just because our culture has little respect for anything but traditional modern medicine, it doesn't necessarily follow that it's quackery.
I'm not sure what "traditional modern medicine" is, but can you supply any papers published in a credible peer-reviewed journal about "energy healing"? If not, it still might not follow that it's quackery...but it's a good indicator. :)

Melody

Mr_Spinkles said:
I can only think of two kinds of energy fields off the top of my head....gravitational fields and electromagnetic fields. I fail to see how either can ward off infection, or be "out of whack". How can you tell if someone has a 'healthy' or 'out of whack' energy field, other than by observing that they are sick and concluding that, therefore, it must be 'out of whack'?

So has quackery. Only nowadays, the superstition is couched in scientific terms.

I'm not sure what "traditional modern medicine" is, but can you supply any papers published in a credible peer-reviewed journal about "energy healing"? If not, it still might not follow that it's quackery...but it's a good indicator. :)
Spinks, I am not going to try and convince you that the body has an energy field that is measurable, nor that there are people who are sensitive enough to feel the field. Read the book if you're interested. It's been awhile since I've read it but I believe it is quite clear on the tests that have been done and the results and where they've been published. It will probably answer most of the questions you have better than I could.

john313

warrior-poet
What is Pranic Healing? PRANIC HEALING is a comprehensive system of subtle energy healing utilizing “prana” in balancing, harmonizing and transforming the body's energy processes. “Prana” is a Sanskrit word that means “vital life force.” This invisible bio-energy keeps the body alive and healthy. In acupuncture, this subtle energy is called “chi.” It is also called “ruah” or the “breath of life” in Hebrew.

Pranic Healing is a simple yet powerful and effective method of energy healing. It is based on the fundamental principle that the body is a “self-repairing” living entity, which possesses the innate ability to heal itself. Pranic Healing also works on the second principle that energy can be projected from one person to another. As a result, the healing process can then be accelerated by increasing the life force or vital energy on the affected part of the physical body.

Pranic Healing is the process of influencing this natural life force to bring about a healthier physical body. Pranic Healing is applied on the electromagnetic field also known as aura, which contains the mold and blueprint of the physical body. This bioplasmic body absorbs life energy and distributes this to the organs and glands. Diseases first appear as energetic disruptions in the energy field before precipitating as ailments in the physical body.

Pranic Healing practitioners realign the whole energy system to help initiate specific biochemical changes to accelerate the body's innate ability to prevent and alleviate a wide spectrum of physical, emotional and psychological ailments.

Pranic Healing is actively used and practiced in over 80 countries and numerous healing centers around the world. These applications in health and disease situations have significantly helped millions of people globally as they apply proper and intelligent use of pranic energy into their lives

http://pranichealingusa.com/about_whatis.htm

john313

warrior-poet
Could this be one of the forms of healing Jesus used to "perform miracle healings". if someone saw Jesus healing by these methods 2000 years ago they could easily assume it to be a miracle. perhaps he was not a magician afterall.

cardero

Citizen Mod
Perhaps the best way to come to terms with this is to use the analogy of how people go to school to become professionals in the field of medicine. There is a great deal YOU do not K(NOW) about healing and the way the body works and functions. Jesus did not K(NOW) what he could or could not do until he learned and PROVED it to himself. Yes, the power is within everyone, but it must BE learned and applied for the benefit of humankind.
Once you have this energy about you, you can do it ALL. You can perform your own "miracles" – except you will learn they are not miracles at ALL but simple acts of Universal Law. Jesus did not perform miracles; he performed acts of kindness. LOVE was the energy to fuel his miracles, not magic.

Hello It's Me: An Interview With GOD
Chapter: Jesus The Christ
Page: 74

Melody said:
Spinks, I am not going to try and convince you that the body has an energy field that is measurable, nor that there are people who are sensitive enough to feel the field. Read the book if you're interested. It's been awhile since I've read it but I believe it is quite clear on the tests that have been done and the results and where they've been published. It will probably answer most of the questions you have better than I could.
That's okay, Melody, I understand. Sorry if I offended you. This thread is in a debate forum, after all. :)

john313 said:
Pranic Healing is a simple yet powerful and effective method of energy healing. It is based on the fundamental principle that the body is a “self-repairing” living entity, which possesses the innate ability to heal itself. Pranic Healing also works on the second principle that energy can be projected from one person to another. As a result, the healing process can then be accelerated by increasing the life force or vital energy on the affected part of the physical body.
With all due respect, I do not see how an educated person could buy into such nonsense. The so-called "First Principle of Pranic Healing" is well known...the body posesses an immune system, after all. But the second principle is just nonsense. How many Joules of energy, for example, need to be "projected from one person to another" in order to heal a broken toe? :rolleyes:

I think we should review this thread: http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10119

Melody

Mr_Spinkles said:
That's okay, Melody, I understand. Sorry if I offended you. This thread is in a debate forum, after all. :)
Spinks,
You didn't offend me at all.:) I was merely stating that I wasn't going to try and convince you...well actually anyone. I just offered information.

Believe me....it still astonishes me even after several years. As my 12 year old says....it's way cool. :D

john313

warrior-poet
Mr_Spinkles said:
With all due respect, I do not see how an educated person could buy into such nonsense. The so-called "First Principle of Pranic Healing" is well known...the body posesses an immune system, after all. But the second principle is just nonsense. How many Joules of energy, for example, need to be "projected from one person to another" in order to heal a broken toe? :rolleyes:
i guess most people think only the way they have seen is the right way and all else is nonsense. Some people had to see a "miracle" before they believed Jesus was a prophet too. of course a broken toe would have to heal the bone, it cannot be used as an immediate fix all for everything. Reflexology is another one that is great and most people say is nonsense. i have been using for a few weeks to help my back and it has not felt this good in over a year-it is amazing. western medicine said i needed surgery for my herniated disc, turns out i needed something outside western medicine.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Melody said:

New Age quackery? Energy work has been practiced by the Chinese and Japanese for centuries although the west has been quick to claim it as something new and wonderful. Just because our culture has little respect for anything but traditional modern medicine, it doesn't necessarily follow that it's quackery.
Very well said there Melody! I'm not sure I would have the patience you are showing to answer someone who is obviously determined to make fun of what others believe in - thats a point, if we have laws against intollerance towards others for creed, colour etc... maybe 'faith healers' could be allocated a small slot in the same rule? lol:jiggy:

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Mr_Spinkles said:

Oh, come on; as you yourself said, this is a debate forum. Do you really have to stoop to using such ridiculous examples ?:)