• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Energy Drinks"

SoliDeoGloria

Is it just me or has this "energy drink" thing gotten way out of hand?

I am writing this as a concerned parent.

When I first got out of prison. a supervisor I worked for handed me a "red bull" and i drank it. About an hour later I got such a "dizzy spell" that I walked right into the ball hitch he had attached to his truck and didn't feel a thing until the effects wore off. I continued to experience these "dizzy spells" that could dehabilitate me for up to 4 hours until I stopped drinking "energy drinks"

Now that I have a son who is going to soon turn 13, I am dealing with his drinking of these, what are in my opinion, legalised, watered down, methamphetamine drinks. I am not the only person who has "done time" that feels this way.

I picked up my oldest son from hanging out with his friends tonight and he was bragging to me how he was drinking mountain dew and some energy drink "shot" (not "5 hour energy") and I asked him why he felt the need to drink such things. He told me that a "Monster" energy drink had no effect on him and that nearly floored me. I told him that he couldn't have drank them because he thought they tasted good because I know better and that he needs to stop doing such things. I hardly ever let him drink things with caffine in them in my presence let alone those things.

Would it be too much to ask that there be some sort of study on the effects of these drinks and at least regulation as far as minors are concerned or do you think I am being an over concerned parent?

Sincerely,
SoliDeoGloria

47Wasps

I feel you are being overprotective.
But not by much.
I think you should limit the amount of Energy Drinks your children can have,but not completely deny them the right to drink them.(Because if you do,they'll just finds to drink more of them behind your back or with friends or even at school)

Energy Drinks are popular,but the ingredient list behind them is incredibly long and they are made of dozens of ingredients. I don't think they have long-term negative side affects,but considering all the things that go into them,it does seem possible.

Comicaze247

See the previous line
Let me put it this way. I wasn't allowed to have coffee until I was in high school. I wasn't even allowed a taste until late elementary. I think that was a wise decision. Caffeine is slightly addictive, and has some mild side effects. But like with everything, these mild side effects have much stronger reactions in people with smaller bodies (children). Kids can even die from food poisoning, while adults usually just have a bad day.

Main_side_effects_of_Caffeine.png

-http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caffeine

And that's in adults. I've heard of a guy who was stupid enough to drink around 10 red bulls and he had a heart attack.

A good resource I just found: Caffeine and Your Child

I think it's a wise decision to not let them have those crazy energy drinks. I avoid them myself. So, when I have kids, I won't let them have any caffeine until they grow up. I know I can't stop them in school, but there will be none for them in the house, and I will talk to them about it, just like with any drug.

And, as an amusing aside: YouTube - Powerthirst Enjoy! :D

Last edited:

Bedlam

Improperly Undefined
Caffeine can be just as addicting as cigarettes. I say this both as a smoker and a caffeine drinker.

The difference is that caffeine doesn't have the same long-term effects as smoking and won't cause cancer. That said, you're right to limit your childrens' energy drink intakes. When I was much younger, my parents rarely let me have any soda. It was more of a special reward. I think your children would benefit from a similar relationship, and then they should be able to decide whether they want to keep drinking them or not as they continue growing up.

But you're the parent and you know what's best for them, so I'm sure you'll find the right balance. :D

SoliDeoGloria

What gets me is that Caffine is just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to these drinks. There have been plenty of studies on caffine. What is worse are the outrageous amounts of taurine, guarana, and ginsing in these drinks. I just don't like the fact that there has been no real studies on the effects of these things and they are just too readily available to minors who should have no good reason to be drinking these things. I can regulate what my children drink in my pressence but I can't quit my job to be around my children enough to make sure they aren't drinking these things. I think this is just going to be another ephedrine thing that we are going to regret later down the years. It just kills me what humans will take advantage of without a care in the world for a buck.

Sincerely,
SoliDeoGloria

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
I havent heard anything but bad about those drinks.Including the fact they dont really give you more "energy"..the sugar in them may give you a temporary "spurt" of energy but so will a glass of orange juice.But getting jittery and anxious and making your heart beat faster (which is what those things make you) is not the same thing as "energy".I read in one article it said definately dont drink them to help "boost you" for a workout.Its the last thing you need because of the dehydrating affects they have.You might as well be gulping down espresso while eating a cup of white sugar while you lift weights or do arobics..

Along with the bad..their is the "unkown".Some of the other ingredients in them there are no known long term side affects ...especially because many times they arent clear as to how much of the stuff is in there on the can itself.And they dont know enough about the short and long term side effects of COMBINING all these ingredients.

I mean..I dont see the "harm" in sipping on one every now and then if you happen to like the way they taste.But they certainly have no health "benefits"..They say it has "vitamin B"..well from what I understand that would be pointless because vitamin B vitamins(from what I have read) are whats needed to help our bodies convert FOOD into energy.

I worry about people who drink them frequently..I know some people that drink several a day.How do they know the long term affects of drinking those things all the time?..The answer..they dont ..but it probably isnt good.

Love

Dallas

Last edited:

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
Oh another thing I read..is even comapring it to coffee isnt fair.Because most people "sip" on cofee..But with these enegry drinks most people gulp them down like a gatorade.And if its on an empty stomach?..Hello!

Love

Dallas

Comicaze247

See the previous line
Oh another thing I read..is even comapring it to coffee isnt fair.Because most people "sip" on cofee..But with these enegry drinks most people gulp them down like a gatorade.And if its on an empty stomach?..Hello!

Love

Dallas
You're not counting the Frappucinos that are so popular with kids at Starbucks. Trust me, I worked there. That's pretty much all kids get. And they chug those things down like nothing.

got 24 energy drinks in the fridge one for each day for the next month (not including sundays)

and there perfectly harmless unless your sensitive to them.

as with any substance its possible to od but it take's alot of effort to pull something like that off with energydrinks( http://www.monsterenergy.com/product/energy.php has a 3 a day limit)

(as for the buzz feeling are you sure it was the caffine because i have hit my leg against a ball hitch before and it didn't hurt with me right away either)

Last edited:
I'll be honest, i have had like 10 bottles of Lucozade and felt just and fine and going to sleep after. Had no affect on me at all. But Red Bull is a bit strong, i think.

SoliDeoGloria

(as for the buzz feeling are you sure it was the caffine because i have hit my leg against a ball hitch before and it didn't hurt with me right away either)

I walked into it without a bit of hesitation and after the effects wore off, I was walking with a limp and a huge bruise right below my knee. And once again, I am not half as concerned about the caffine as I am the other stuff in these drinks as I mentioned before.

As far as the rest of the responses go, I hope you understand that my concern has to do with minors, not adults. If your an adult and you want to waste your money on these things and drink them all day like they're water, all the power to you. May you enjoy your wannabe tweaker high till the day you die. I see absolutely NO reason for minors to take them and I think it is downright dangerous irregardless of how the companies that sell these drinks claim how harmeless they are which begs the question of why they would suggest a daily limit.

Sincerely,
SoliDeoGloria

well medicine also have daily limits
and almost all products with vitamins have % recomended daily dosage

SoliDeoGloria

well medicine also have daily limits
and almost all products with vitamins have % recomended daily dosage

lol, I was hoping you would say that. Lets compare shall we.

We'll start off with red bull and as you say it's 3 per day limit.

Generic over the counter ibuprofen: the recommended per day limit is 6 (double that of red bull). When you get a prescription for it you can get horse size 800 mg pills of it and take them every six hours. do the math.

Chlorpheniramine maleate (can have a drowsy effect, allergy pills) Once again, a daily limit of 6.

Now, I know for a fact that it takes 5600 mg of extra strength tylenol to become poisonous (28 extra strengh pills) and possibly kill you.

Now that is what, I quickly pulled off the top of my head and my counter. I'm sure if I put some effort into it, I could find quite a bit more.

Sincerely,
SoliDeoGloria

yes but you got to remember there are mutiple substaces in it, like for example

80 milligram caffine -------------------------- but daily limit is 300 milligram ( toxic dose is ca. 20 mg/kg)
1000 mg taurine-------------------------------- daily limit is 1000 gram per kilo bodyweight
600 mg GLUCURONOLACTONE ---------------- daily limit is 1000 gram per kilo bodyweight

I used to drink about 30 cups of coffee a day, now if I have more than 1 go bonkers, sorry for the use of complex medical terminology:)

You wouldn't let your kid pop caffeine pills so why would you let him drink high doses, I think your right, but I don't know how you will stop him if he doesn't want to stop.

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
I hope you understand that my concern has to do with minors, not adults.

I agree with you on this..And also on the caffeine part.My concern wouldnt be the caffeine so much as the combination of everything in them and the unkown or high levels of the ingredients.

Im not against caffeine.Caffeine actually has some known health benefits(of course in moderation).If Im not mistaken there is a link to caffeine drinkers and lower instances of diabetes.

For instance I encourage my kids to drink green tea.(unsweetenend or with honey).It contains caffeine naturally..about half the amount ounce of ounce as most cofee.And green tea has been studied and linked to many positive helath benefits.

Also some of those drinks make "sugar free" versions.And thats something else Im uncomfortable with children eating or drinking ..Is artificial sugar.And by that I mean any routine or regular consumption of it.I was surprised and upset with myself when I realized that all "fat free" yogurt contains "aspartame".It's my fault I didnt equate fat free with arifical sugars.And my kids have been eating it regulary for years.I would rather them to have had a little more fat..than fake sugar.

I mean..I would never for instance sprinkled aspartame over their oatmeal..or fresh strawberries etc..

Having said that..those drinks their regular versions have loads of sugar in them.Which is a whole different concern for children and adults having too much of.

I guess what im saying is since you know their arent any health "benenfits" and mostly unkown negative health consequences why give them to kids?

Children dont metabolize the same way adults do..Not to mention their organs are still growing..Thats why we dont give kids alcohol even in "moderation'.

Love

Dallas

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
I used to drink about 30 cups of coffee a day, now if I have more than 1 go bonkers, sorry for the use of complex medical terminology:)

You wouldn't let your kid pop caffeine pills so why would you let him drink high doses, I think your right, but I don't know how you will stop him if he doesn't want to stop.

WOAH HORSEY Slow down!

You got me beat! LOL!!

I used to drink a LOT too..Now I only drink a couple cups a day..Sometimes I go on hiatus and swithch to hot green tea..But I miss the "robustness" of coffee.The aroma and the flavor just cant be replaced.

Love

Dallas

too much caffeine is still bad for you, and you are right it can have similar effects to speed on some people, it looks to me like you are one of those unlucky people.

I do occassionally relapse into 4 or 5 cups and then I don't sleep for about 2 days

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
too much caffeine is still bad for you, and you are right it can have similar effects to speed on some people, it looks to me like you are one of those unlucky people.

I do occassionally relapse into 4 or 5 cups and then I don't sleep for about 2 days

My sister cant have any..She can have a half a cup of cofee and feels like she is going to have a nervous breakdown and it upsets her stomach she says it makes her 'stomach fry".She also can't have artifical sugar..She can have a sip of something that contains it and she gets stomach cramps and nausea.

There are others? Who can drink 10 or 15 cups of cofee and feel fine and sleep like a baby at night.

I wonder..if drinking coffee everyday in more than moderate amounts some peoples bodies just adjust to it ..or even it can have a "reverse" affect.like ADD meds do for hyper activity.

Hmmm...

Love

Dallas