• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Enemies...

CMike

What does your religion say about how to treat enemies?

In Judaism there is no obligation to love your enemy and/or turn the other cheek.

ZooGirl02

Well, I used to be a Catholic and in the Gospels Jesus says to love your enemies.

"But I say to you who are listening: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you. To the person who strikes you on the cheek, offer the other as well, and from the person who takes away your coat, do not withhold your tunic either. Give to everyone who asks you, and do not ask for your possessions back from the person who takes them away. Treat others in the same way that you would want them to treat you. "If you love those who love you, what credit is that to you? For even sinners love those who love them. And if you do good to those who do good to you, what credit is that to you? Even sinners do the same. And if you lend to those from whom you hope to be repaid, what credit is that to you? Even sinners lend to sinners, so that they may be repaid in full. But love your enemies, and do good, and lend, expecting nothing back. Then your reward will be great, and you will be sons of the Most High, because he is kind to ungrateful and evil people. Be merciful, just as your Father is merciful.
(Luke 6:27-36 NET.)

As for my current opinion, I'm not sure. I think that at the very least we should tolerate them unless they are threatening our lives of course.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Enmity is basically a disease, a form of insanity.

However, it is often necessary to treat the consequence, if for no other reason than because we lack the skillfull means of treating the causes.

Green Kepi

In Judaism there is no obligation to love your enemy and/or turn the other cheek.

How do you explain away Leviticus 19:18 - “Do not seek revenge or bear a grudge against anyone among your people, but love your neighbor as yourself. I am the Lord".

Are only fellow Jews your neighbors? Could I not be a neighbor to you?

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
l tend to focus on my own actions, and try not to base them on the enmity or otherwise of others. that is NOT to Say I don't consider others (far from it) but if I decide a course of action is the correct one morally, all things being equal, that's what I'll do.

I have no religion, so nothing to add there.

Here until I storm off again
Premium Member

People are "enemies" for different reasons. Why is this person on my enemy list?

Shermana

Heretic
How do you explain away Leviticus 19:18 - “Do not seek revenge or bear a grudge against anyone among your people, but love your neighbor as yourself. I am the Lord".

Are only fellow Jews your neighbors? Could I not be a neighbor to you?

The word "neighbor" in the Tanakh seems to pretty much only mean your fellow Israelite and converts and those who obey the law of the land in the Holy Land. At the very least we know that "brother" most certainly does not mean non-Israelite.

The Non-Jew in Jewish Law - My Jewish Learning

In general, when the Torah states a law applying to one's "neighbor," the rabbis understand the law as applying to Jews and not to non-Jews. This, then, is the underlying question: when do Jews relate to non-Jews as neighbors, and when do they not?

Last edited:

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
In my faith, we're supposed to love our enemies and pray for those who do us wrong. But that doesn't mean we have to trust them. ;)

I.S.L.A.M617

Illuminatus
I don't know. In my view and from what I understand from reading and studying scripture, Satan isn't a literal being.
Satan tempted Jesus in the desert, so I'd say he's about as literal a being as God is. He might or might not have a body, but the Bible definitely implies he has a consciousness about him.

But either way, let me rephrase the question then: Assuming Satan is a literal being with a body, are you supposed to love him?

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
So you don't take the Gospels as literal accounts, or Job?

I've heard that Job wasn't a literal story from many scholars. As for Jesus temptations, the temptations come from inside of each of us. I believe that since Jesus was 100% human that He had human temptations.

Note: I don't know any of this for sure.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member

Well... Asatru is a religion practiced by the Vikings.... hehehehe.... :devil:

Joking aside, I only have modern sensibilities regarding how I'd treat those who would seek to do me harm: call the police. If I can't at the moment, neutralize them, get out of there, then call the police. IOW, standard self-defense sensibilities.

As for people/organizations the police have no power to at least subdue/arrest, well, the best solution is just not to tangle with such people.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
Enemies appears to be a religious concept, never came across it in biology class.

Ants come to mind.

Or rival tribes of chimpanzees, baboons, etc.

Humans aren't the only species to develop the concept of "enemy."

What about Satan? Are you supposed to love him?

A) I doubt Satan is our neighbor.

B) He's not our enemy. Our "adversary," yes, meaning he tests us or even opposes our evil nature if God requires it. But he probably doesn't hate us, and I doubt he needs prayer, and "turning the other cheek" just doesn't make sense in regards to him. I take Yahshua's words as being meant for humans, not angels.

yoda89

On Xtended Vacation
Technically Christians would seek to pray for Satan as he would be the ultimate sinner. However as being free. The real enemy is fear and to that enemy we must use knowledge. If we are to progress

ZooGirl02

Enemies appears to be a religious concept, never came across it in biology class.

Why would enemies be taught about in biology class? Also, if enemies are an exclusively religious concept then how do you explain two nations that are at war with each other? Would they not call each other enemies? In my opinion, they would.

I.S.L.A.M617

Illuminatus
A) I doubt Satan is our neighbor.

B) He's not our enemy. Our "adversary," yes, meaning he tests us or even opposes our evil nature if God requires it. But he probably doesn't hate us, and I doubt he needs prayer, and "turning the other cheek" just doesn't make sense in regards to him. I take Yahshua's words as being meant for humans, not angels.

I more meant the Christian interpretation of Satan.