• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

End times?

What's your view?

• Christian historic premillennialism

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • Christian dispensational premillennialism

Votes: 3 6.5%
  • Christian amillennialism

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • Christian postmillennialism

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hindu Kalki

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • Jewish Messiah

• Buddhist Maitreya

• Something else

Votes: 25 54.3%
  • You mean the party's going to end?

Votes: 5 10.9%
  • None - I'm an atheist

Votes: 15 32.6%

• Total voters

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Google threw this story to me and it got me wondering what others here think even members of some religions where the answer might seem obvious. Are there Hindus who don't accept Kalki? What do Christians here think?

I made the question open to more than one answer for those who have not made up their mind.

What does the Bible say about the end of the age?

When talking about “the Bible,” I’ll be referring to the version of the Bible shared by the largest number of people, namely, the 39 books of the Old Testament and the 27 books of the New Testament.
Judaism accepts only the Hebrew Scriptures (called the Old Testament by Christians) as the Bible. And Roman Catholics and Orthodox Christians accept the Old Testament, the New Testament, and the Apocrypha as sacred Scripture.
Even then, we have opened up a hornet’s nest of controversy, as within evangelical circles alone, there are numerous competing end-time systems, including: historic premillennialism, dispensational premillennialism, amillennialism, and postmillennialism (within this, there are also variations of preterism).
There are some theologians who believe the world will only get worse before Jesus returns, others who believe things will pretty much remain the same until then, and others who believe the whole world will become Christian.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
My view - if there is an end, and we could have done something about it, then we deserve such. But I think it quite likely something will occur and as to such we will have no remedy - based on the violence we see in the universe in general. Just something that seems almost natural in the universe, and no indication necessarily as to it being caused by any divinity or anything else. As per my usual moan, religions aren't helping in this respect - as to the first mentioned. :oops:

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
I mean...something will end us. Might be us. Might be the Sun expires.

Perhaps by then we have some sort of interstellar travel setup, and we jet off to some far flung speck of the universe to continue our existence.

Perhaps not.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV

Orbit

I'm a planet
Google threw this story to me and it got me wondering what others here think even members of some religions where the answer might seem obvious. Are there Hindus who don't accept Kalki? What do Christians here think?

I made the question open to more than one answer for those who have not made up their mind.

When talking about “the Bible,” I’ll be referring to the version of the Bible shared by the largest number of people, namely, the 39 books of the Old Testament and the 27 books of the New Testament.
Judaism accepts only the Hebrew Scriptures (called the Old Testament by Christians) as the Bible. And Roman Catholics and Orthodox Christians accept the Old Testament, the New Testament, and the Apocrypha as sacred Scripture.
Even then, we have opened up a hornet’s nest of controversy, as within evangelical circles alone, there are numerous competing end-time systems, including: historic premillennialism, dispensational premillennialism, amillennialism, and postmillennialism (within this, there are also variations of preterism).
There are some theologians who believe the world will only get worse before Jesus returns, others who believe things will pretty much remain the same until then, and others who believe the whole world will become Christian.

The thing that always get me is that in Matthew it says that "all these things will come to pass within this generation"--why do Christians ignore that? The end times were then, not now.

Brickjectivity

Turned to Stone. Now I stretch daily.
Staff member
Premium Member
"Let’s be brutally honest here. It would be arrogant and foolish to imagine that, in one short article, any of us could make a definitive statement about the Bible and the end times." -- 1st paragraph of linked article​
In my brutally honest opinion, that is fabulous spam. It is not arrogant or foolish to imagine that a short article could settle this!

Instead I quote this literally back in reply to that: [Ecc 6:11 NIV] "11 The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" So a short article is, in my opinion, more likely to end the issue than reams of words.

"After all, these issues have been debated for hundreds, if not thousands of years, and the debate continues to rage until this day. Plus, what Bible are we talking about? And what do we mean by the end of the age?" -- 2nd paragraph of linked article
More? Not debated: Ignored, fought over, used to bash, used to suppress, used to divide. Not debated. There is no debate, and it is a simple issue made complicated by quarreling selfish ambition.

In the words of James brother of Jesus: [Jas 3:18-4:2 NIV] "16 For where you have envy and selfish ambition, there you find disorder and every evil practice. 17 But the wisdom that comes from heaven is first of all pure; then peace-loving, considerate, submissive, full of mercy and good fruit, impartial and sincere. 18 Peacemakers who sow in peace reap a harvest of righteousness. 4:1 What causes fights and quarrels among you? Don't they come from your desires that battle within you? 2 You desire but do not have, so you kill. You covet but you cannot get what you want, so you quarrel and fight. You do not have because you do not ask God."

That is the entire matter in a nutshell. There is a bunch of ambition out there, screwing it up for everyone by quarreling and trying to get people on their side of an issue that doesn't exist. All we need is to look at this fruit, this stupid stuff, and we know that the 'Debate' about Revelation is all fluff and nonsense. There's no real problem or debate to be had. It is a shameful industry which cranks out materials, books, pamphlets, speeches, seminars on this topic.

Yazata

I'm not convinced that Christians need to literally believe that the universe is going to come to an end in short order.

As some late 19th century German theologians argued, the point might arguably have been to encourage early Christians to live their lives as if it was so. So now is the time to focus on "spiritual" things, I guess. To get yourself right with God, whatever that means. Don't just assume that you will have a chance later.

You know, eschatology need not be universal, applying to the whole universe. It can arguably be personal as well. And all of us are arguably living in our own personal end-times, no matter how much we ignore it. Death is waiting in store for all of us.

Last edited:

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Zen. There is really no such thing as time, there is only the eternal now. Of course if my tardy plumber turns up late again with that excuse I'll be taking my boiler problem elsewhere.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Meh. The Earth will go away when the sun expands. The universe is likely to go to heat death. The human race will either go extinct or evolve into something else.

We have the ability now to send ourselves into extinction. Whether we will accomplish this feat or not is yet to be seen.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
The thing that always get me is that in Matthew it says that "all these things will come to pass within this generation"--why do Christians ignore that? The end times were then, not now.
I think that might be some sort of wordplay--as the word Aeon (the Greek word used in the bible) is related to the word generation
from etymonline.com
1640s, from Late Latin aeon, from Greek aiōn "age, vital force; a period of existence, a lifetime, a generation; a long space of time," in plural, "eternity," from PIE root *aiw- "vital force, life, long life, eternity." Related: Eonian; eonic.​

Also, it seems that sometime during every generation, some sort of crisis comes.

InChrist

Free4ever
Christians don’t ignore that verse. There are different viewpoints, but I believe Jesus was referring to the future final generation, which would see all the things and signs occurring before their eyes prior to His return, not those He was speaking to while He was on earth. as recorded in Matthew.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member

I would offer that the end of the age and the fulfilment of all Age based prophecy culminated in 1844.

A new age of fulfillment and a new creation has been unfolding ever since.

Regards Tony

InChrist

Free4ever
I believe the scriptures indicate things will get worse in the world, such as; lawlessness, hatred, wars, rebellion, as well natural disasters. I think human tampering with viruses and gain-to-function enhancements making these viruses more transmittable to humanity will lead to the plagues referred to in Revelation.
We are already seeing indications of food shortages and famines that will are beginning to occur around the world. Technology is basically in place for a global surveillance and control system when conditions are right under a world Antichrist leader as foretold in the biblical scriptures.
Apostasy in the church and many turning from the faith to false teachings is a major sign of the last days and the end of the church age.
The most important situation to watch is the Abraham Accord agreement with Israel, which would involve “dividing the land” and the promise of peace and security.

...But concerning the times and the seasons, brethren, you have no need that I should write to you. 2 For you yourselves know perfectly that the day of the Lord so comes as a thief in the night. 3 For when they say, “Peace and safety!” then sudden destruction comes upon them, as labor pains upon a pregnant woman. And they shall not escape.
1Thessalonians 5:1-3

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I would offer that the end of the age and the fulfilment of all Age based prophecy culminated in 1844.

A new age of fulfillment and a new creation has been unfolding ever since.

Regards Tony

...But concerning the times and the seasons, brethren, you have no need that I should write to you. 2 For you yourselves know perfectly that the day of the Lord so comes as a thief in the night. 3 For when they say, “Peace and safety!” then sudden destruction comes upon them, as labor pains upon a pregnant woman. And they shall not escape.
1Thessalonians 5:1-3

It happened just like that.

Regards Tony

InChrist

Free4ever
It happened just like that.

Regards Tony
If the new age of fulfillment and new creation culminated in 1844...then I’d say still things look pretty bad as this world continues to deteriorate.
Not at all as the Bible promises concerning the new heaven and earth.

paradox

(㇏(•̀ᵥᵥ•́)ノ)
the "end of the world" or "end times" mean the end of specific religion.

Aztect priest were sacrificing people on the altar to please God, they believed if they don't do so then it will be the end of the world because their god would no longer provide sun and rain etc.

the end of the world in biblical sense means destroying Christian religion, not actual destruction of planet.
The reason why is it called "the end of the world" is because "world" is what believers believe, their world is spiritual and it can be destroyed.

Hermit Philosopher

Selflessly here for you
Rapture; as a state of mind. Those who enter it, will be spared from the experience of the end of worldliness; those who don’t, will have to witness it.

Humbly
Hermit

exchemist

Veteran Member

All this "End Times" crap is for eyeball-rolling peasants, not thinking people. :D

Sure, there will be an end to humanity at some point. That's trivially obvious. But, er, that's it.

Exaltist Ethan

Bridging the Gap Between Believers and Skeptics
I understand almost all the concepts of Christianity, but the whole "pre-mils" and "post-mils" argument always confused the heck out of me. I answered "You mean the party's going to end?" because I believe we will exist eternally. The end of the Earth will happen in a few billion years, but we probably won't even be on it by then. The end times for this big blue planet is so distant I don't think anyone has to worry about it. We'll find other planets to infest. I'm not worried about it.