1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Featured end times

Discussion in 'Religions Q&A' started by robocop (actually), Mar 10, 2020.

1. robocop (actually)

robocop (actually) Well-Known Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1,364
    Religion:
    three years re-baptized into Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints!
    Do you think we are approaching a time where there will have to be a dramatic change to humanity on earth?

Why or why not and if so what do you think will happen?

• Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  2. sun rise

sun rise Śvāna Dharma
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +37,476
    Religion:
    Love/Omnism
    Yes I think that change has started an is barely into its infancy. The challenges we're facing constitute strong pressure for fundamental change.

The changes since I was young include a new corporate structure called "social benefit corporations", social entrepreneurs, dropping crime rates, dropping levels of abject poverty and so forth are to me signs.

I also include the dying of traditional religion and people searching for meaning in many different ways.

What will happen next? I'd love to know.

3. Thief

Thief Rogue Theologian

Ratings:
    +4,883
    this planet has enough chemistry to support only 9billion people

almost there

4. TransmutingSoul

TransmutingSoul Veteran Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +8,468
    Yes, no doubt. We do know that cities will not survive what is coming.

There is actually quite a bit if information about what will unfold from the late 1800's

Regards Tony

5. ClimbingTheLadder

ClimbingTheLadder Up and Down again

Ratings:
    +100
    Religion:
    The Wheel of Things
    Compared to everything that has gone on in past history, no not really much

6. leov

leov Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    Religion:
    Gnostic Christian
    yes, AI + human body. return of bicameralism.

7. Aupmanyav

Aupmanyav Be your own guru

Ratings:
    +14,943
    Religion:
    Atheist, Advaita (Non-duality), Orthodox Hindu
    No. Changes are never dramatic. There are always people who resist change. Of course, changes will always be there.

8. Cooky

Cooky Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +2,356
    Religion:
    Catholic

• Like Like x 1
  9. Eddi

Eddi Eddifying

Ratings:
    +3,250
    Religion:
    Theistic Projectionism
    I think in End Times there will be all manner of catastrophe, both natural and human in origin...

Such as plague!

And look what human activity is doing to the environment...

Also, I have a gut feeling that humankind won't progress any further, both socially and technologically and that the next stage is its self destruction and that we are entering a period of tribulation, during which rapture will occur

So, basically, yes I do think we are approaching End Times - and in particular the great tribulation, which is supposed to last seven years

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. Aupmanyav

Aupmanyav Be your own guru

Ratings:
    +14,943
    Religion:
    Atheist, Advaita (Non-duality), Orthodox Hindu
    I sincerely hope you and your people would survive that. Because there were misguided people who committed suicide to escape the approaching End of Times.

#10 Aupmanyav, Mar 11, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2020
  11. Valjean

Valjean Veteran Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +16,508
    Religion:
    Vedanta (reform)
    9B people and biodiversity? How could we do that? We've been destroying Earth's ecosystem since the Pleistocene.

12. ChristineM

ChristineM "Be strong" I whispered to my coffee.
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +46,231
    Religion:
    None
    There is constant change, some catastrophic, some small that effect humanity and earth.

65 million years ago an asteroid the size of a city his an area we now call Chicxulub. It brought an end to the dinosaur era and allowed mammals to dominate thus paving the way for the rise of humanity.

In the late 1700s, early 1800s the industrial revolution dramatically changed an agricultural civilisation into an industrial civilisation. The consequences of which are, only in the last 50 years or so, being felt in dramatic fashion.

Late last century the green revolution (genetic manipulation of food crops to resist pest and disease) has saved over a billion people from starvation. Great for those people, but a but a dramatic increase to the already burgeoning population.

And in the near future, in Europe (other places must eventually follow). Electric vehicles will supersede carbon producing transport. A great change that will help to mitigate the harmful atmospheric effects of the individual revolution. But, will, unless new technology can solve the problems change the carbon polluted atmosphere at the expense of more earth bound pollutants such as processed lithium.

Change will continue, humanity will welcome the change until the end. That end will not be because of any religious woo (although many religious people (if humanity still exists) will claim responsibility and rejoice with "i told ya so") but either with a modern man made disaster, or a natural catastrophe such as an incurable pandemic or another Chicxulub.

Or, if life continues long enough it will end on earth with the death of the sun.

However it happens, best not to dwell on it, that way demons lie.

13. Heyo

Heyo Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +10,756
    Religion:
    none
    Ray Kurzweil has been eerily precise with his predictions and he expects general AI within the next decade. If he is right, it will have massive consequences on everyday life. 70 to 80% of all jobs existing now will be automated. A UBI will be the only solution to keep people fed.
    Around 2050 AI will outperform humans on any given task, reaching super intelligence status. Humans can only compete by integrating technology into themselves. (Transhumanism)
    The human lifespan will be widely extended, either through technology or biology.
    That is, if we survive the changing climate.

14. ManSinha

ManSinha Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,028

Both of you may have overlooked another possibility - humans may find another place to colonize and hopefully not repeat all the mistakes - or they may build generation-ships to explore the Universe leaving the earth on a one way trip across generations

(Yes I love sci-fi - can you tell? :))

• Like Like x 1
  15. Heyo

Heyo Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +10,756
    Religion:
    none
    Humans will at least colonize space and, in the long run, the galaxy. But it will be only a few and it will have little impact on those who stay, at least for the near and mid future.

• Like Like x 1
  16. ChristineM

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +46,231
    Religion:
    None

Not overlooked, just highly unlikely that humanity will get much further than our own solar system. Cost restraints and the speed of light will make sure of that.

There is also the idea that life's existence is limited by entropy. Chances are, by the time a generation (or deep sleep) ship reaches anywhere that looks habitable on departure it won't be suitable for life by the the time of arrival.

Have you read any Iain M Banks? My favourite book is "Exession" but i like all his books except "The Algebraist"

• Like Like x 1
  17. Heyo

Heyo Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +10,756
    Religion:
    none
    Space is pretty much equally habitable anywhere once you have a spaceship capable of interstellar flight. The only thing to worry about is easily accessible raw material to built a new spaceship so your population can grow. Planets are only interesting to exobiologists. From an economic point of view asteroids and small moons are what you're looking for. Easily mineable without a deep gravity well.

• Like Like x 1
  18. ChristineM

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +46,231
    Religion:
    None
    Interstellar flight is the problem. Moving a ship to close to the speed of light will require a way to counteract the massive increase in mass.

The alternative is slow (relitively) speed taking some time, a 10 light year journey will take around half a million years

• Like Like x 1
  19. ManSinha

ManSinha Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,028
    @Heyo and @ChristineM

I think we should create another thread for this - rather than go on in end times

BUT that said - what about the method used in Stargate - bending the space time continuum?

IIRC there have been experiments where protons or some other sub atomic particle has been able to be projected at two separate points using quantum mechanics .........

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  20. IndigoChild5559

IndigoChild5559 Loving God and my neighbor as myself.

Ratings:
    +3,888
    Religion:
    Judaism
    No. Basically, although we have our problems, especially climate change and overpopulation, the world has become a much better place rather than a much worse place.

1. At least in the USA, all forms of violent crime are substantially down in major cities. Many crimes which used to be swept under the rug, are now regularly reported and prosecuted, such as rape and child molestation (remember how a half century ago, the victim was blamed? shudder!) I would call these things a great improvement. If the trend continues, this would spread from the west to other parts of the world just like jeans and t-shirts.

2. International warfare has all but died out. International warfare is when two different countries go to war with each other, i.e the Vietnamese War or WW2. What we see today are civil wars, such as Syria, or wars with terrorist groups, such as ISIS.

3. Science has delivered to us a world that is easier than anything man has ever known. We have technological devices that do our laundry, carry us as far as we want to go, count how many steps we take, and even allow us to video conference over the phone like George Jetson. Even more amazing is modern medicine that has given us a life with so much less pain and suffering, and enabled us to live soooo much longer.

#20 IndigoChild5559, Mar 19, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3