• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

End Times?

David1967

Premium Member
There is much talk today on the subject of end times, especially among Christians and Muslims. With this in mind I would like to invite my friends on this forum, whether they be Christian, Muslim, Hindu, or whatever faith or tradition you follow to share with us your views on this subject.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
Well speaking as a member of the "whatever faith", I agree with Jon Stewart who said "we live in hard times, not end times".

Apocalyptic thinking is a disease, a cancer on the collective intellect of humanity.

If I am wrong and the end really is near it will surely come about through the stupidity of those nutjobs who preach this nonsense of end times prophesy. But I don't think that is going to happen anytime soon. But these nutjobs will certainly make things harder.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
There is much talk today on the subject of end times, especially among Christians and Muslims. With this in mind I would like to invite my friends on this forum, whether they be Christian, Muslim, Hindu, or whatever faith or tradition you follow to share with us your views on this subject.

Well, the Lotus Sutra and Gosho (our founder's writings) says that we are already in the "end of times" or what Nichiren Shonin calls the Latter Day Age of the Law. Shakyamuni predicted that the Dharma would be loss and wanted the Bodhisattvas to continue to teach the Law wherever possible. They predicted correctly that we are in spiritual depression. Although Skayamuni and Nichiren were talking about their respective country's politics (India and Japan), I wouldn't be surprised an overlap mirrors America too.

As for the earth, I'd assume that we are getting farther away from the sun? Or something of that nature where a thousand of years there wouldn't be anymore life on the planet. We are tearing down trees and indirectly taking the lives of people to prevent over population.

I feel they both interconnect and the "end of times" is nota godly event where someone comes and takes control of the earth and we go to heaven or hell type of thing. It's the here and now among the people in which cause issues that may or may not result in our downfall. We like to put blame on the other (president, satan, whomever) but not on ourselves. We like to say "they, society" as if it is separate from us.

Best way to prevent the end of times is to change ourselves.

That's how I see it.

Last edited:

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
I don't believe in the so-called 'end times'. In fact I think things are better now than they ever were and getting better.

David1967

Premium Member
I don't believe in the so-called 'end times'. In fact I think things are better now than they ever were and getting better.

Thank you George! I love an optimist. This thread gives me an occasional break from digging up a leaky sewer line behind my house today ): I need all the optimism I can get today on that front.:eek:

David1967

Premium Member
Well, the Lotus Sutra and Gosho (our founder's writings) says that we are already in the "end of times" or what Nichiren Shonin calls the Latter Day Age of the Law. Shakyamuni predicted that the Dharma would be loss and wanted the Bodhisattvas to continue to teach the Law wherever possible. They predeicted correctly that we are in soiritual depression. Although Skayamuni and Nichiren were talking about their respective country's politics (India and Japan), I wouldn't be surprised an overlap mirrors America too.

As for the earth, I'd assume that we are getting farther away from the sun? Or something of that nature where a thousand of years there wouldn't be anymore life on the planet. We are tearing down trees and indirectly taking the lives of people to prevent over population.

I feel they both interconnect and the "end of times" is nota godly event where someone comes and takes control of the earth and we go to heaven or hell type of thing. It's the here and now among the people in which cause issues that may or may not result in our downfall. We like to put blame on the other (president, satana, whomever) but not on ourselves. We like to say "they, society" as if it is separate from us.

Best way to prevent the end of times is to change ourselves.

That's how I see it.

Thank you Carlita!

wizanda

One Accepts All Religious Texts
Premium Member
Though everyone is eating meat, and drinking alcohol like in the days of Noah, it came on them in a flash....The next is prophesied the same.

We're vastly destroying the planet, scientist say we've got less than 100 years left to change our ways.

The media is hyping up for WW3 between Muslims vs Christians, so we can try out all our nuclear weapons on each other.

So within a prophetic sense...What is next? :innocent:

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Though everyone is eating meat, and drinking alcohol like in the days of Noah, it came on them in a flash....The next is prophesied the same.

We're vastly destroying the planet, scientist say we've got less than 100 years left to change our ways.

The media is hyping up for WW3 between Muslims vs Christians, so we can try out all our nuclear weapons on each other.

I think he is wrong.

http://phys.org/news/2010-06-humans-extinct-years-eminent-scientist.html

According to the Bible story, the end times event is not man made.

David1967

Premium Member

Not sure. What is next in your view?

wizanda

One Accepts All Religious Texts
Premium Member
According to the Bible story, the end times event is not man made.
It says, there will be earthquakes, rumors of wars...

Both could be encouraged by man made activity, like has anyone pondered what happens to oil wells, mine shafts, etc, when there is an earthquake, and all them resources have been extracted. :oops:

There will be a time like the beginning of the earth....

Could be because global warming goes haywire, as we're starting to see, and there is mass displacement of people due to flooding, hurricanes, etc. :cloud::earthamericas:

It says, if those days had not been shortened, none might be saved....

Clearly God steps in to save; why bother if God caused it? o_O
Not sure. What is next in your view?
Not sure either, and sort of decided trying to predict the future by reading prophecy, is a dangerous venture half the time; as even when prophecies have been fulfilled, they don't often match how you might expect them to be fulfilled on reading them. :)

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member

Both could be encouraged by man made activity, like has anyone pondered what happens to oil wells, mine shafts, etc, when there is an earthquake, and all them resources have been extracted. :oops:

Could be because global warming goes haywire, as we're starting to see, and there is mass displacement of people due to flooding, hurricanes, etc. :cloud::earthamericas:

Not sure either, and sort of decided trying to predict the future by reading prophecy, is a dangerous venture half the time; as even when prophecies have been fulfilled, they don't often match how you might expect them to be fulfilled on reading them. :)
The rains of Noah and the fire of Sodom is said to be by God. Also, a rock cut out but not by hands means not man made disaster.

Useless2015

Tough subject. It might happen tomorrow or in the year 359000...I am sure that it will happen though and there is nothing we can do about it.

Neo Deist

Th.D. & D.Div. h.c.

The only guaranteed "End Times" is when our sun gets ready to become a Red Giant and envelopes the first 3 or 4 planets...in a few billion years or so. :cool:

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member

"rumors of wars". That is an interesting phrase isn't it. Really, when was the last time you heard a "rumor" about a war? These days when there is a war we know about it, instantly. We can see video of the actual war occurring before any "rumor" has time to circulate. This really doesn't apply very well to the world we live in.

But of course it did apply to the time in which the author of these "prophecies" lived. At that time news of distant lands traveled slowly, by word of mouth. If war had broken out somewhere else the only way you would hear about it would be through rumours. Like most "prophecies" of this type it applies better to the time in which it was written than it does to our time.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
I think there is nothing to be done about preventing the end but there is much to be done about surviving it.
But if you survive it, it is not the end. Is it? Or perhaps the end has already come and gone, and we are he ones that survived. Or maybe the end has been happening ever since the beginning. Or maybe he concept has no real meaning at all.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
The end times have been occuring for at least 3,000 years, depending on the culture.

Anyway, the Heathen story of end times is Ragnarök, which I don't think any ancient or modern Heathen believed or believes literally.

The northern people were supremely practical, and observant of natural cycles of birth, death, growth, decline. They had to be practical and observant: their survival depended on it. That said, Ragnarök reflects those cycles.

Moreover, we don't generally concern ourselves with any soteriology or eschatology, owing to Heathenry being world-affirming and world-accepting, not world-rejecting.

Unification

There has been for thousands of years.

The only end times one should be focused on are the end times to current corrupt minds. The end of one frame of mind and the transformation of a new frame of mind.