• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

End Goals?

EtuMalku

Abn Iblis ابن إبليس
Greetings,

For those here with a good understanding of Shaivism and Vamachara, can you explain to me what the end goals are?

TravisJC

I would just like to say that as someone who is still learning about Sanatana Dharma my understanding is limited; however, the the most basic understanding of the 'ultimate goal' is moksha, or liberation. From my understanding we are given the human opportunity, in which to break out of the cycle of rebirth to rejoin Brahman. Although this is MY interpretation many Hindus have their own ideas and philosophies behind what they believe the afterlife has in store for us. Please forgive my mistakes. :)

EtuMalku

Abn Iblis ابن إبليس
I would just like to say that as someone who is still learning about Sanatana Dharma my understanding is limited; however, the the most basic understanding of the 'ultimate goal' is moksha, or liberation. From my understanding we are given the human opportunity, in which to break out of the cycle of rebirth to rejoin Brahman. Although this is MY interpretation many Hindus have their own ideas and philosophies behind what they believe the afterlife has in store for us. Please forgive my mistakes. :)
Thanks TravisJC

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
You are right, Travis. The goal is 'moksha'. But 'moksha' may have different meaning for different people. For me, it is understanding of the working of the world. When one understands that, all misconceptions go away, all questions are answered, and you are ever in peace.

TravisJC

You are right, Travis. The goal is 'moksha'. But 'moksha' may have different meaning for different people. For me, it is understanding of the working of the world. When one understands that, all misconceptions go away, all questions are answered, and you are ever in peace.

This is one of the many of things I celebrate in Hinduism, that you are entitled to interpret and believe what you may. I see life as a way to like you said rid yourself of misconceptions, understand, and eventually have your questions answered; however, I see it that all of these are obtained once you've received moksha and merged with Brahman.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
As the books say, no merging is required. You are already that (Tat twam asi). It is a matter of understanding, of tearing the veil of ignorance (avidya). :D

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
That you are what constitutes all things in the universe, just a form of the basic substrate.

"Yathā soumya! ekena mritpinḍena sarvaṃ mṛinmayaṃ vijñātaṃ syāt,
vāchāraṃbhaṇaṃ vikāro nāmadheyaṃ mṛittiketyaiva satyaṃ.
" Chhandogya Upanishad 6.1.4

(Just as, O Gentle Enquirer, by a single clod of clay all that is made of clay is known, all modification being distortions in the matter of speaking while naming, Clay alone is the truth.)

Last edited:

Shantanu

Could you expand on what this means, please?
In Hinduism it is all about personal interpretations of fundamental scriptures. You are that (Tat Twam Asi) may be saying that you are all that constitutes the universe as a basic substrate like energy like @Aupmanyav says as a die-hard atheist; or it could mean you are God for the theist in total surrender to that Ultimate Reality like I say as a die-hard Theist.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I believe there is confusion as to 'You are That'. If not confusion, then two very different ideas.

This 'You', in a classical sense, isn't the personality/ego/temporary identity of this one life, yet some people seem to think it is. I believe it's an error that will lead to that individual's non-progress towards moksha until they figure it out in a more traditional way,

When Ramana Maharshi said 'I am that' he didn't mean Ramana Maharshi. He meant the central core, the Self, the mystical core of the 5 bodies, the atman. Ramana is often incorrectly seen as the 'founder' of neo-avaita. People misunderstood, partly because there is no language to distinguish these two 'I's, and went about proclaiming their egoselves as equal to God. It gives them an excuse for poor behaviour, an excuse to do nothing, etc. That 'I' is not God, but temporarily separate. Ramana had done enough meditation, and was so spiritually advanced that he didn't even know that 'I'. It had been overwhelmed by atman. So he was a walking soul body. The 5th body was on the outside, so to speak. Most of us aren't in that high state, and hence have no right or reason to proclaim ourselves as God.