• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Encyclopedia of Hinduism

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Time for some light reading. A couple weeks of evenings before sleeping ought to do it.

I'm glad they finally got it done ... a monumental task.

Sumit

Sanatana Dharma
मैत्रावरुणिः;3472920 said:
Namaste,

Where can I purchase all 11 volumes?
I don't know :shrug:

Poeticus

| abhyAvartin |
Namaste, Agnitra (My Sanskrit Name for FireSide - Get used to it, ppl!!!):

I noticed that the link has one whole book with a 7000+ pages. Does this mean that the version in the link is not separated into the volumes like the ones in the OP? They are the same, correct? And, I nearly had a heart attack after looking at the price. That's almost $1000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Fireside_Hindu

Jai Lakshmi Maa
मैत्रावरुणिः;3473394 said:
Namaste, Agnitra (My Sanskrit Name for FireSide - Get used to it, ppl!!!):

I noticed that the link has one whole book with a 1000+ pages. Does this mean that the version in the link is not separated into the volumes like the ones in the OP? They are the same, correct? And, I nearly had a heart attack after looking at the price. That's almost $1000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oooo. Agnitra. I like it. :D

I can't tell. It could be a misprint. From the description though, it makes it sound like it's the price for only one volume which would be insane. My hope it that the announcement is so new that the description is a placeholder and that the cost is at least for all 11 volumes. Either that or it's actually a scammer. We may have to wait and see.

:camp:

Fireside_Hindu

Jai Lakshmi Maa
If it's the whole set that price is pretty standard. Encyclopedia sets are terribly expensive. That's why most libraries don't let you check them out. Because if you loose one, they have to order a whole new set.

Poeticus

| abhyAvartin |
Oooo. Agnitra. I like it. :D

It means "holder of fire", "keeper of fire", "one who offers the proper prayers to fire", "he who upholds the instrument of fire", "keepers of Rta", "fire-worshipper", "venerators of Lord Shri Agni"....

I can't tell. It could be a misprint. From the description though, it makes it sound like it's the price for only one volume which would be insane. My hope it that the announcement is so new that the description is a placeholder and that the cost is at least for all 11 volumes. Either that or it's actually a scammer. We may have to wait and see.

I bookmarked the amazon link you provided. I'm going to check on it every month from now on until I figure out how the pricing works. If one volume of the whole series (one volume = 600-700 pages) is close to $1,000, that's abominable!!!!!

Fireside_Hindu

Jai Lakshmi Maa
मैत्रावरुणिः;3473401 said:
It means "holder of fire", "keeper of fire", "one who offers the proper prayers to fire", "he who upholds the instrument of fire", "keepers of Rta", "fire-worshipper", "venerators of Lord Shri Agni"....

Oh, but see, now I feel like I need to give you a fancy name. But you already have a fancy name. I guess we could work this backward and I could call you Chuck or Steve from now on.

Because if there's anything worse then my Hindi, it's my Sanskrit ;)

Sb1995

Om Sai Ram
My heart stopped when I saw $945. Look's like I'll wait for the online version in a few years once they finish scanning all those pages!

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I see there are several 'Encyclopedias of Hinduism' there. It seems like a long time, 25 years - for current trends they must have had to go back and edit a lot of stuff several times. I also wonder if this is the same one that Swami Chidananda Saraswati was lending his support to.

Poeticus

| abhyAvartin |
I see there are several 'Encyclopedias of Hinduism' there.

Yeah, there are 11 volumes but are of the same set. This one, in particular, though, is the biggest and most extensive work regarding encyclopedias for Hinduism currently.

I also wonder if this is the same one that Swami Chidananda Saraswati was lending his support to.

I hope so!!! And, if these replace the ones in middle and high schools across the country, I will be much pleased!!

Poeticus

| abhyAvartin |
I think it might be this one ... Hindu Encyclopedia in Ten Years - Magazine Web Edition > January 1988 - Publications - Hinduism Today Magazine That article is 15 years old, but I remember reading about it.

website said:
...This is an important statement, for the majority of books on Hinduism are broad depictions of liberal Hindu thought based on Adi Shankaran teachings. (But) A Hindu Encyclopedia should nobly and impartially embrace all.

I agree! Too much Shankara going on! I don't like the monopolization either, Dr. Rao!!!!!

There is only one minuscule question, though: is Indian Heritage Research Foundation the same as Hindu Heritage Research Foundation? They both seem to be based in Rishikesh...:shrug:

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
मैत्रावरुणिः;3473503 said:
I agree! Too much Shankara going on! I don't like the monopolization either, Dr. Rao!!!!!

There is only one minuscule question, though: is Indian Heritage Research Foundation the same as Hindu Heritage Research Foundation? They both seem to be based in Rishikesh...:shrug:

Swami's ashram is in Rishikesh. Parmath Niketan.