• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Empathy for Atheists.

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
1. That fact people who claim that faith leads to knowledge of the unseen and spiritual enlightenment can't agree what it is and every religion has divisions, is a major turn off.

2. The fact miracles were once part of the historical past according to most religions but are completely absent in today's time requires an explanation.

3. That interpretations of holy books are so vast that it seems a kid can write more clearly and decisively then God by the results.

4. The problem of suffering of humans, put's a moral nature to atheism. They don't like suffering, can we hate them for that?

5. The brutal conditions many animals go through - God could have created Pokemon but instead we get.... poor Bamby eaten.

6. Moral argument and value argument maybe strong if we all united on the light of morality and value, but since we have not, and fight one another, are they too be blamed for believing it's all subjective?

7. They got theories like evolution, big bang, etc, so God has become less of a scientific conclusion.

8. Some of are pretty cool can we blame them for us judging them harshly and telling them lack spiritual sense/faith and look down upon them, when a lot of them are just too cool to hate?

9. What's the point of seeking the truth when all seekers of it apparently disagree on it?

10. Atheists are humans, they just have drawn different conclusions about this whole spaghetti code of religion we got going. Blame ourselves before blaming them IMHO.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
1. That fact people who claim that faith leads to knowledge of the unseen and spiritual enlightenment can't agree what it is and every religion has divisions, is a major turn off.

2. The fact miracles were once part of the historical past according to most religions but are completely absent in today's time requires an explanation.

3. That interpretations of holy books are so vast that it seems a kid can write more clearly and decisively then God by the results.

4. The problem of suffering of humans, put's a moral nature to atheism. They don't like suffering, can we hate them for that?

5. The brutal conditions many animals go through - God could have created Pokemon but instead we get.... poor Bamby eaten.

6. Moral argument and value argument maybe strong if we all united on the light of morality and value, but since we have not, and fight one another, are they too be blamed for believing it's all subjective?

7. They got theories like evolution, big bang, etc, so God has become less of a scientific conclusion.

8. Some of are pretty cool can we blame them for us judging them harshly and telling them lack spiritual sense/faith and look down upon them, when a lot of them are just too cool to hate?

9. What's the point of seeking the truth when all seekers of it apparently disagree on it?

10. Atheists are humans, they just have drawn different conclusions about this whole spaghetti code of religion we got going. Blame ourselves before blaming them IMHO.

All are a product of their experiences and have varying levels of understanding of their reality. I see no reason to blame anyone.

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The closest thing to a disbeliever rejecting God and his Messenger when miracles are shown on these forums really right now, is me, for the knowledge I have and what I have witnessed but have not put into practice.

F1fan

Veteran Member
A lot of these are not what atheists believe or think, but are part of positions in debate that atheists question, and only question because there are religious beliefs being questioned.

I wish I had time to into this more. Many problems with this list, not accurate.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
I can go along with this one. Other than that, your post does nothing to make me "feel empathy" for you. I personally don't care in the slightest whether people believe in God or not, and I have absolutely no interest in trying to convince anyone that there is a God. If you believe there's one, fine. I you believe there isn't, that's fine, too. I just think we all (atheists and theists) ought to stop passing judgement on each other over this issue.

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I can go along with this one. Other than that, your post does nothing to make me "feel empathy" for you. I personally don't care in the slightest whether people believe in God or not, and I have absolutely no interest in trying to convince anyone that there is a God. If you believe there's one, fine. I you believe there isn't, that's fine, too. I just think we all (atheists and theists) ought to stop passing judgement on each other over this issue.

I am certain God exists and there is no doubt in me about her/him/it. I just in viewpoint without miracles, humans are not to be put in the same standards as if they rejected miracles and that truth loses it's prestige when no miracles in the open.

AlexanderG

Thanks for this. It's a good steel-manning of many of our positions. It takes a lot of insight, empathy, and self-confidence to face opposing views head on and try to understand them. Kudos to you.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member

Because "miracles" are not reported in the mass media with video does not mean they don't happen. Miracles don't need to be showy to exist.

Besides which, to be too focused on them leaves people open to frauds who are good "stage magicians" and show what appear to be miracles to lead people astray.

I appreciate the humility of that statement.

Throwing out words, whether quotes or otherwise, does not convince people. If someone lives up to the essence of their religion in every day life, others will notice and may start asking themselves about the path the person has taken. In short: deeds not words matter.

A theist claiming to have an understanding of of the mental process of an atheist.

Some theists, such as myself, used to be atheists. We have the right to say "when I was an atheist..."

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
@Link

Pretty fair articulation in your OP. Nice to see that we can disagree about God but still keep our ability to understand each other's frame if reference.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

I tend to think, paraphrasing an old adage, its due to the fact that we don't own or control the universe.

It's the universe that owns and controls us instead.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

A generous, tolerant, & thoughtful post that is.
I've nothing to add.

Deidre

May you expand on that?
If I want to share my faith beliefs with someone (should they ask), it’s important to approach others in love and kindness and not arrogance - like I know more than you etc... You can’t learn your way into faith if knowledge is all you have.

I don’t think I’ve ever bothered to listen to anyone about anything that way.