• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Emotions are necessary to give us a positive or negative perspective

The Transcended Omniverse

First of all, let me clarify what I mean by a positive or negative perspective. If someone is in peace and harmony with others, and this universe, never wants to give up on his goals and dreams, sees himself as an awesome, amazing human being, is happy, and sees life as beautiful and worth living, then that would be a positive perspective the person is having.

But, if someone is violent, always wants to give up on his goals and dreams, sees himself as a pitiful human being, is morbidly depressed, sees life as horrible, and has suicidal tendencies, then that would be a negative perspective the person is having.

An apathetic (neither positive nor negative) perspective is simply not caring about anything. Positive emotions are the only positive perspectives, negative emotions are the only negative perspectives, and apathy (no emotions) can only render us with neither a positive nor negative perspective.

Secondly, let me clarify what emotions are. They could be a feeling of panic from being in a dangerous situation, a feeling of excitement, a feeling of sexual arousal, a feeling of rage, etc. They're also called biological impulses, or drives. When a person acts out on emotion, he'd be acting out on impulse.

There are positive emotions and negative emotions. The positive emotions would be the pleasant ones, which people also like to call the good feelings, such as feelings of love, joy, peace, etc. The negative emotions are the unpleasant ones, which people also like to call the bad feelings, such as feelings of misery, despair, rage, disgust, etc.

Thirdly, if you were to have a proud or loving thought, that thought would make you feel pride or love (which would be positive emotions). If you were to have a hateful or miserable thought, that thought would cause you to feel hate or misery (which would be negative emotions). So, our thoughts take on an emotional form, which allows us to feel whatever we thought of.

We need these feelings to allow us to experience pride, love, hate, or misery. Without these feelings, we can't experience any of those things. For example, when a person feels love (a positive emotion), that's how the person loves anybody or anything, whether it be his family, pets, movies, etc. Without this feeling of love, he can't love.

When you love someone, that's the same thing as having a loving perspective towards that person, which is the same thing as having a loving perception, which is the same thing as having a loving experience. The same idea applies to hate or misery.

If you were to feel misery, you'd be having a miserable perspective, which is the same thing as having a miserable perception, which is the same thing as having a miserable experience. Also, if you feel that something's good or beautiful, that feeling would be a positive emotion, and that's how you perceive said thing as good or beautiful.

As you can see, emotions are necessary to give us certain perspectives, such as a morbid perspective, a loving perspective, a hateful perspective, etc., which is the same thing as saying emotions are necessary to give us certain perceptions/experiences. Going back to my explanation of positive and negative perspectives, emotions are necessary to give us these perspectives. We need the positive perspectives in life, and we should avoid the negative and apathetic ones.

That means we need the positive emotions, and we should avoid the negative emotions, as well as apathy. Unfortunately, positive emotions are very fleeting things, since there are many factors that can take them away from us, such as having clinical depression, brain damage, mental illnesses, etc. So, if you struggle with a mental illness that renders you without your ability to feel positive emotions, then you can't have a positive perspective, and neither can you experience love.

Just having positive thoughts, or thoughts of love, won't allow you to have a positive perspective, or experience love in the absence of your positive emotions, just as how having thoughts of hunger or thirst won't allow you to experience hunger or thirst, when you're not feeling hungry or thirsty.

Feeling hungry and thirsty is how we experience hunger and thirst, feeling pain and pleasure is how we experience pain and pleasure, and feeling positive is how we experience a positive perspective. So, there's thinking positive and feeling positive. Positive thoughts, by themselves, won't allow you to experience a positive perspective. That means they, alone, can't give you a positive perspective. When positive emotions are induced by positive thinking, that gives you a positive perspective on life.

It's the positive emotions that are the real positive perspectives, and not the positive thoughts or beliefs alone. So, positive emotions are what give you the real positive perspective on life. Positive emotions are what drive/motivate someone to have a positive attitude. The same idea applies to negative emotions giving us negative perspectives, and driving negative attitudes.

Most people would say I have it all backwards because they'd say we have positive and negative perspectives through our way of thinking and believing. They'd say it's not our emotions that give us those perspectives, and that emotions are nothing more than how we feel. But, I think they have it all backwards. I think emotions do give us those perspectives, and thoughts and beliefs are nothing more than how we think and believe.

So, if we wish to see (perceive) our lives, and any endeavor, as good, beautiful, and worth living for, then we need to feel that way. We need to feel positive emotions. Positive emotions are how we experience our lives, and any endeavor, as good, beautiful, and worth living for, which is the same thing as saying positive emotions are what make those things good, beautiful, and worth living for in our eyes.

That means positive emotions are the only things that can make our lives, and any endeavor, good, beautiful, and worth living for. Now, I've been known to do things in my life, even without my ability to feel positive emotions. But, just because I did those things doesn't mean they were good, beautiful, and worthwhile in my eyes.

Just to illustrate my point, if a person smiled, and acted happy, that doesn't mean he was actually happy on the inside. So, just because I do things in my life, and acted like those things were beautiful to me, doesn't mean they were actually beautiful to me. As you can see, there's a difference between a person's actions, gestures, and deeds, as opposed to his inner experience.

You shouldn't judge by a person's actions, gestures, and deeds. That means you shouldn't judge a person as being happy, just because he acts happy, and neither should you judge my life as beautiful and worthwhile in the absence of my positive emotions, just because I acted like my life was beautiful and worthwhile.

In conclusion, since positive emotions are the only things that can allow us to experience anything as good, beautiful, amazing, magnificent, worthwhile, valuable, and precious, then it makes me wonder why human beings are here on Earth, where there's much suffering, and positive emotions are fleeting things. If there's a heaven, why aren't humans up there, where they can live in everlasting joy?

Here on Earth, I always find myself giving up on my goals and dreams in the absence of my positive emotions, since I can no longer have a positive perspective/experience. Thus, I have to wait for my positive emotions to return to give me that positive perspective/experience I need.

Without my positive emotions, then what would it matter to me if someone told me that my life, and goals, are still good, beautiful, and worth living for? Since they can't be good, beautiful, and worth living for in my eyes, then it's pointless to tell me that. If there was a song that was lame, awful, and nothing beautiful in one person's eyes, then what would it matter if you told him that the song is beautiful?

It's still a song that's lame, awful, and nothing beautiful to him. So, it doesn't matter if you tell him that. By the way, if you wish to perceive something as awful, disgusting, horrible, lame, etc., then you need to feel that way, and those feelings would be negative emotions. Like I said, I should avoid the negative emotions, since they're nothing but negative experiences.

Moments where I feel negative emotions are the moments I have negative perspectives, and moments I feel positive emotions are the moments I have positive perspectives. The goal is to have as many moments where I feel positive emotions. The more profound and intense my positive emotions are, the better my life is, since that would be giving me a more profound and intense positive experience.

Last edited:

David T

Premium Member
First of all, let me clarify what I mean by a positive or negative perspective. If someone is in peace and harmony with others, and this universe, never wants to give up on his goals and dreams, sees himself as an awesome, amazing human being, is happy, and sees life as beautiful and worth living, then that would be a positive perspective the person is having.

But, if someone is violent, always wants to give up on his goals and dreams, sees himself as a pitiful human being, is morbidly depressed, sees life as horrible, and has suicidal tendencies, then that would be a negative perspective the person is having.

An apathetic (neither positive nor negative) perspective is simply not caring about anything. Positive emotions are the only positive perspectives, negative emotions are the only negative perspectives, and apathy (no emotions) can only render us with neither a positive nor negative perspective.

Secondly, let me clarify what emotions are. They could be a feeling of panic from being in a dangerous situation, a feeling of excitement, a feeling of sexual arousal, a feeling of rage, etc. They're also called biological impulses, or drives. When a person acts out on emotion, he'd be acting out on impulse.

There are positive emotions and negative emotions. The positive emotions would be the pleasant ones, which people also like to call the good feelings, such as feelings of love, joy, peace, etc. The negative emotions are the unpleasant ones, which people also like to call the bad feelings, such as feelings of misery, despair, rage, disgust, etc.

Thirdly, if you were to have a proud or loving thought, that thought would make you feel pride or love (which would be positive emotions). If you were to have a hateful or miserable thought, that thought would cause you to feel hate or misery (which would be negative emotions). So, our thoughts take on an emotional form, which allows us to feel whatever we thought of.

We need these feelings to allow us to experience pride, love, hate, or misery. Without these feelings, we can't experience any of those things. For example, when a person feels love (a positive emotion), that's how the person loves anybody or anything, whether it be his family, pets, movies, etc. Without this feeling of love, he can't love.

When you love someone, that's the same thing as having a loving perspective towards that person, which is the same thing as having a loving perception, which is the same thing as having a loving experience. The same idea applies to hate or misery. If you were to feel misery, you'd be having a miserable perspective, which is the same thing as having a miserable perception, which is the same thing as having a miserable experience.

As you can see, emotions are necessary to give us certain perspectives, such as a morbid perspective, a loving perspective, a hateful perspective, etc., which is the same thing as saying emotions are necessary to give us certain perceptions/experiences. Going back to my explanation of positive and negative perspectives, emotions are necessary to give us these perspectives. We need the positive perspectives in life, and we should avoid the negative and apathetic ones.

That means we need the positive emotions, and we should avoid the negative emotions, as well as apathy. Unfortunately, positive emotions are very fleeting things, since there are many factors that can take them away from us, such as having clinical depression, brain damage, mental illnesses, etc. So, if you struggle with a mental illness that renders you without your ability to feel positive emotions, then you can't have a positive perspective, and neither can you experience love.

Just having positive thoughts, or thoughts of love, won't allow you to have a positive perspective, or experience love in the absence of your positive emotions, just as how having thoughts of hunger or thirst won't allow you to experience hunger or thirst, when you're not feeling hungry or thirsty. Feeling hungry and thirsty is how we experience hunger and thirst, feeling pain and pleasure is how we experience pain and pleasure, and feeling positive is how we experience a positive perspective.

So, there's thinking positive and feeling positive. Positive thoughts, by themselves, won't allow you to experience a positive perspective. That means they, alone, can't give you a positive perspective. When positive emotions are induced by positive thinking, that gives you a positive perspective on life.

It's the positive emotions that are the real positive perspectives, and not the positive thoughts or beliefs alone. So, positive emotions are what give you the real positive perspective on life. Positive emotions are what drive/motivate someone to have a positive attitude. The same idea applies to negative emotions giving us negative perspectives, and driving negative attitudes.

Most people would say I have it all backwards because they'd say we have positive and negative perspectives through our way of thinking and believing. They'd say it's not our emotions that give us those perspectives, and that emotions are nothing more than how we feel. But, I think they have it all backwards. I think emotions do give us those perspectives, and thoughts and beliefs are nothing more than how we think and believe.

So, if we wish to see (perceive) our lives, and any endeavor, as good, beautiful, and worth living for, then we need to feel that way. We need to feel positive emotions. Positive emotions are how we experience our lives, and any endeavor, as good, beautiful, and worth living for, which is the same thing as saying positive emotions are what make those things good, beautiful, and worth living for in our eyes. That means positive emotions are the only things that can make our lives, and any endeavor, good, beautiful, and worth living for.

Now, I've been known to do things in my life, even without my ability to feel positive emotions. But, just because I did those things doesn't mean they were good, beautiful, and worthwhile in my eyes. Just to illustrate my point, if a person smiled, and acted happy, that doesn't mean he was actually happy on the inside. So, just because I do things in my life, and acted like those things were beautiful to me, doesn't mean they were actually beautiful to me.

As you can see, there's a difference between a person's actions, gestures, and deeds, as opposed to his inner experience. You shouldn't judge by a person's actions, gestures, and deeds. That means you shouldn't judge a person as being happy, just because he acts happy, and neither should you judge my life as beautiful and worthwhile in the absence of my positive emotions, just because I acted like my life was beautiful and worthwhile.

In conclusion, since positive emotions are the only things that can allow us to experience anything as good, beautiful, amazing, magnificent, worthwhile, valuable, and precious, then it makes me wonder why human beings are here on Earth, where there's much suffering, and positive emotions are fleeting things. If there's a heaven, why aren't humans up there, where they can live in everlasting joy?

Here on Earth, I always find myself giving up on my goals and dreams in the absence of my positive emotions, since I can no longer have a positive perspective/experience. Thus, I have to wait for my positive emotions to return to give me that positive perspective/experience I need. Without my positive emotions, then what would it matter to me if someone told me that my life, and goals, are still good, beautiful, and worth living for?

Since they can't be good, beautiful, and worth living for in my eyes, then it's pointless to tell me that. If there was a song that was lame, awful, and nothing beautiful in one person's eyes, then what would it matter if you told him that the song is beautiful? It's still a song that's lame, awful, and nothing beautiful to him.

So, it doesn't matter if you tell him that. By the way, if you wish to perceive something as awful, disgusting, horrible, lame, etc., then you need to feel that way, and those feelings would be negative emotions. Like I said, I should avoid the negative emotions, since they're nothing but negative experiences.

Moments where I feel negative emotions are the moments I have negative perspectives, and moments I feel positive emotions are the moments I have positive perspectives. The goal is to have as many moments where I feel positive emotions. The more profound and intense my positive emotions are, the better my life is, since that would be giving me a more profound and intense positive experience.
A brain without a heart is a very dead creature, but many animals that are totally brainless they seem just fine. The brain over rates it importance. And it tends to be the most dysfunctional as it self educates itself. It feeds on its own brain feces. Usually its called writing or math. I prefer music to brain feces. Rarely though some feces comes out as hralthy food. Thomas merton fine example. John muir fine example. But generally just feces. The poetic seems like fine stuff.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

When you love someone, that's the same thing as having a loving perspective towards that person, which is the same thing as having a loving perception, which is the same thing as having a loving experience. The same idea applies to hate or misery. If you were to feel misery, you'd be having a miserable perspective, which is the same thing as having a miserable perception, which is the same thing as having a miserable experience.

Just having positive thoughts, or thoughts of love, won't allow you to have a positive perspective, or experience love in the absence of your positive emotions, just as how having thoughts of hunger or thirst won't allow you to experience hunger or thirst, when you're not feeling hungry or thirsty. Feeling hungry and thirsty is how we experience hunger and thirst, feeling pain and pleasure is how we experience pain and pleasure, and feeling positive is how we experience a positive perspective.

So, there's thinking positive and feeling positive. Positive thoughts, by themselves, won't allow you to experience a positive perspective. That means they, alone, can't give you a positive perspective. When positive emotions are induced by positive thinking, that gives you a positive perspective on life.

So, if we wish to see (perceive) our lives, and any endeavor, as good, beautiful, and worth living for, then we need to feel that way. We need to feel positive emotions. Positive emotions are how we experience our lives, and any endeavor, as good, beautiful, and worth living for, which is the same thing as saying positive emotions are what make those things good, beautiful, and worth living for in our eyes. That means positive emotions are the only things that can make our lives, and any endeavor, good, beautiful, and worth living for.

Now, I've been known to do things in my life, even without my ability to feel positive emotions. But, just because I did those things doesn't mean they were good, beautiful, and worthwhile in my eyes. Just to illustrate my point, if a person smiled, and acted happy, that doesn't mean he was actually happy on the inside. So, just because I do things in my life, and acted like those things were beautiful to me, doesn't mean they were actually beautiful to me.

As you can see, there's a difference between a person's actions, gestures, and deeds, as opposed to his inner experience. You shouldn't judge by a person's actions, gestures, and deeds. That means you shouldn't judge a person as being happy, just because he acts happy, and neither should you judge my life as beautiful and worthwhile in the absence of my positive emotions, just because I acted like my life was beautiful and worthwhile.

Here on Earth, I always find myself giving up on my goals and dreams in the absence of my positive emotions, since I can no longer have a positive perspective/experience. Thus, I have to wait for my positive emotions to return to give me that positive perspective/experience I need. Without my positive emotions, then what would it matter to me if someone told me that my life, and goals, are still good, beautiful, and worth living for?

Since they can't be good, beautiful, and worth living for in my eyes, then it's pointless to tell me that. If there was a song that was lame, awful, and nothing beautiful in one person's eyes, then what would it matter if you told him that the song is beautiful? It's still a song that's lame, awful, and nothing beautiful to him.

So, it doesn't matter if you tell him that. By the way, if you wish to perceive something as awful, disgusting, horrible, lame, etc., then you need to feel that way, and those feelings would be negative emotions. Like I said, I should avoid the negative emotions, since they're nothing but negative experiences.

In my experience, emotions are physiological perceptions of your body.

Dopamine, serotonin, oxytocin and endorphins are the quartet responsible for our happiness. Many events can trigger these neurotransmitters, but rather than being in the passenger seat, there are ways we can intentionally cause them to flow.
Hacking Into Your Happy Chemicals: Dopamine, Serotonin, Endorphins and Oxytocin

One example of our ability to release these chemicals into our system is laughter. If you start laughing, even if you happen to be sad or miserable at the moment, your body will respond to your laughter and start releasing the appropriate chemicals into your system. Soon you will actually find yourself feeling happier.

Part of it seems to be triggered by our own judgements. When you've judge a goal has been met or see your self as successful during an event you get a release of "positive" chemicals.

When you judge yourself as guilty, see yourself as having done wrong, "negative" chemicals are released.

Also I sometimes find "negative" emotions to be useful. Anger and hatred for example are useful in increasing a sense of urgency in others.

The more one is in charge of their own emotions, the less others can use those emotions to manipulate you.

Road Less Traveled

By the way, if you wish to perceive something as awful, disgusting, horrible, lame, etc., then you need to feel that way, and those feelings would be negative emotions.

I personally prefer a balance of mind.
Such as I am able to think as negatively as I’d like to, but never be or feel that negativity myself. I am able to think as positively as I’d like to, but never be or feel that positivity myself. Perceptions having nothing to do with emotion for me. Another example, I can see/perceive something as disgusting and ugly yet not feel disgusted or feel ugly. Unmoved/energy at rest/not rattled.... no energy triggered to move inside. Perhaps that’s just with having them well under control, including the mind. Because I know that emotions used to cloud my perception/judgement. And also know that positive or negative thoughts in me used to trigger emotions as well that had effects.

That means we need the positive emotions, and we should avoid the negative emotions, as well as apathy.

Also find that a perfect balance of apathy and empathy are sound to have, pending on the scenario and situation. Apathy is great to have in many instances.

All of these things may be perceived by others as someone being dead and mechanical, but quite the opposite in experience.

For me, rather than emotion it is an entirely different element inside that ‘feels’ or ‘does the feeling.’ Yet emotions are intertwined with that. For me, energy(or the chemicals in them) can be in motion but does not ‘feel’ or ‘does the feeling.’

People are capable of their guilty feeling switch triggering while having nothing to feel or be guilty about. Or their fear switch triggering while having nothing to fear. Or their joy switch triggering while having nothing to be joyous about. People can laugh like madmen inside while never cracking a smile.
A lot of it is in the eye/perception of the beholder. Also, to what extent in what thoughts, emotions, and body language that they have under control or are controlled by.

Last edited:

The Transcended Omniverse

Perceptions having nothing to do with emotion for me. Another example, I can see/perceive something as disgusting and ugly yet not feel disgusted or feel ugly.

Are you sure you're not living your life by the wrong definition of perceived ugliness and disgust? I define that as being negative emotions. Also, I define love as being a positive emotion, and I think people also live their lives by the wrong definition of love. My personal experience has led me to these definitions, and I can't help but wonder if people are living by the wrong definitions. The same thing applies to positive and negative perspectives/experiences. I define those as emotions, and I think people are living by the wrong definition of these, since they define them as a person's way of thinking or believing, rather than emotions.

Last edited: