• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Emojis as NewSpeak

Laika

Premium Member
Thinking about the thread on George Orwell's 1984, I wondered for a moment if the evolution of language would mean we will end up using emojis to express what we mean, similar to the way "Newspeak" in the novel reduces the number of words and what we can express.

So as an experiment try to write a few sentences about yourself using a combination of words and emojis. Include a translation if you want. Just see what happens.

I have a :cat: named Jess. We also keep :chicken: as pets and have many :cookingegg: for breakfast. I :thumbsup: reading :books: and spend my :watch:playing the :musickeyboard: and :ear: to:musicalscore: . I travel by :bus: to get around, but I also :thumbsup: going for a :walking:.

I have a cat named Jess. We also keep chickens as pets and have many eggs for breakfast. I like reading books and spend my time playing the piano and listening to music. I travel by bus to get around, but I also like going for a walk.

Anyways, have a go and just have some fun. :)

halbhh

The wonder and awe of "all things".
Thinking about the thread on George Orwell's 1984, I wondered for a moment if the evolution of language would mean we will end up using emojis to express what we mean, similar to the way "Newspeak" in the novel reduces the number of words and what we can express.

So as an experiment try to write a few sentences about yourself using a combination of words and emojis. Include a translation if you want. Just see what happens.

I have a :cat: named Jess. We also keep :chicken: as pets and have many :cookingegg: for breakfast. I :thumbsup: reading :books: and spend my :watch:playing the :musickeyboard: and :ear: to:musicalscore: . I travel by :bus: to get around, but I also :thumbsup: going for a :walking:.

I have a cat named Jess. We also keep chickens as pets and have many eggs for breakfast. I like reading books and spend my time playing the piano and listening to music. I travel by bus to get around, but I also like going for a walk.

Anyways, have a go and just have some fun. :)

:eek: :mad: :cool: :p :D o_O :( ;) :) -- "Damn, this banana has gone bad."

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

Anyways, have a go and just have some fun.:)
I wonder if they're going to morph into ideographs over time.