• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Embryos aren’t female by ‘default’ after all, study shows

We Never Know

No Slack
I've seen it brought up several times here that we all start off as female.
That may not be true.

"Every developing embryo, irrespective of its sex, at one point contains both male and female reproductive tracts, referred to as the wolffian duct and the müllerian duct, respectively. If the fetus produces testosterone and the anti-müllerian hormone (AMH) gene products from the Y chromosome — these molecules elicit cellular signaling events that lead to the destruction of the female müllerian ducts.

A new study published in Science by Humphrey Yao, Ph.D. challenges this age-old concept of the female pathway as “default” and shows that the development of femaleness is also an active process. The authors implicated a protein called COUP-TFII as a key player that is required to actively eliminate the wolffian duct in a developing female embryo in order to give it female characteristics.

This showed that, unlike what was earlier believed, male embryos are capable of developing male tubes in the absence of signals from testosterone and AMH, and that the development of female sex organs does not proceed by “default” but rather requires the coordinated action of specific signaling proteins. Although the study was conducted in mice, COUP-TFII is also produced by human embryos, making it highly likely that the pathway identified here may work the same way in humans."

Embryos aren't female by 'default' after all, study shows - Genetic Literacy Project

Original story here..
It’s Hard Work Being a Boy (and, It Turns Out, a Girl) | Biomedical Odyssey

Viker

Häxan
Asexual rut holes. It's sort of how we begin and almost everyone retains their rut holery throughout their lives. :D

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
I've seen it brought up several times here that we all start off as female.
That may not be true
My Master said "You are all female, God alone is Male"

Maybe he conveyed to us:
Male principle (God) stands for Creator
Female principle stands for Creation

So we start of as a Creation
And our goal is to realize we are Creator

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
My Master said "You are all female, God alone is Male"

Maybe he conveyed to us:
Male principle (God) stands for Creator
Female principle stands for Creation

So we start of as a Creation
And our goal is to realize we are Creator
Interesting thought. Jesus is male and His Church is female. (Ephesians 5)

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/him/they/them
If we sharing info on embryos can I share some info regarding twins I found? How sesquizygotic aka semi identical twins form in the womb(and there's only been 2 comfirmed cases of it) and how polar body twins(aka half identical twins) would theortically form(there's no proof it's ever occurred it's just been theorized cuz there's no way to test for it)?
I dont want to derail your thread @We Never Know. But it's a very interesting topic I learnt about earlier and I think you might find it interesting. So if you want I can post about it here or make a new thread and tag you(if you want to learn more that is).

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
Interesting thought. Jesus is male and His Church is female. (Ephesians 5)
Another proof for me that Bible verses are inspired by the Divine. Unusual for people to come up with such verses

We Never Know

No Slack
If we sharing info on embryos can I share some info regarding twins I found? How sesquizygotic aka semi identical twins form in the womb(and there's only been 2 comfirmed cases of it) and how polar body twins(aka half identical twins) would theortically form(there's no proof it's ever occurred it's just been theorized cuz there's no way to test for it)?
I dont want to derail your thread @We Never Know. But it's a very interesting topic I learnt about earlier and I think you might find it interesting. So if you want I can post about it here or make a new thread and tag you(if you want to learn more that is).

I don't get my panties in a wad if someone brings up something different :)

VoidCat

I don't get my panties in a wad if someone brings up something different :)
I wrote to someone else on the topic in my PMs.
Here's what I wrote(and I have edited out spelling mistakes and changed some of the sentences to give more info):
Semi identical is where an egg fertilized by two sperm splits. Only two known cases of this happening that are confirmed. One was a set in london. One of the twins was intersex and the other was female. Both were chimeras. The other set was in Australia. I don't know enough about the one in Australia to say anything about whether they were chimeras or not. This in particular interests me cuz an egg fertilized with 2 sperm doesnt result in a viable fetus due to there being 3 sets of chromsomes. Somehow tho in these two cases because the eggs split it caused the resulting fetuses to have two sets of chromosomes instead of 3 and were viable. Polar body twins have only been theorized. But it's where an unfertilized egg splits and both halves are fertilized separately. They are called polar body twins cuz when an egg is formed there are 4 cells 3 polar body cells and the oocyte. In a normal pregnancy usually the polar body cells fade away before the egg is fertilized. But this theory is that somehow one of the polar body cells survive and when the whole egg splits the polar body cell and the oocyte cell both get fertilized.

@We Never Know Imma go now find a source for you to read more hold tight.

VoidCat

I wrote to someone else on the topic in my PMs.
Here's what I wrote(and I have edited out spelling mistakes and changed some of the sentences to give more info):
Semi identical is where an egg fertilized by two sperm splits. Only two known cases of this happening that are confirmed. One was a set in london. One of the twins was intersex and the other was female. Both were chimeras. The other set was in Australia. I don't know enough about the one in Australia to say anything about whether they were chimeras or not. This in particular interests me cuz an egg fertilized with 2 sperm doesnt result in a viable fetus due to there being 3 sets of chromsomes. Somehow tho in these two cases because the eggs split it caused the resulting fetuses to have two sets of chromosomes instead of 3 and were viable. Polar body twins have only been theorized. But it's where an unfertilized egg splits and both halves are fertilized separately. They are called polar body twins cuz when an egg is formed there are 4 cells 3 polar body cells and the oocyte. In a normal pregnancy usually the polar body cells fade away before the egg is fertilized. But this theory is that somehow one of the polar body cells survive and when the whole egg splits the polar body cell and the oocyte cell both get fertilized.

@We Never Know Imma go now find a source for you to read more hold tight.
This is a link with more info(and it has info on even more types of twins and how they form):
Different Types of Twins

The info relevant to what I've shared is here:
Polar Body Twins
When fraternal twins look incredibly similar, it could be down to another possible twin type, which scientists have named polar body twins.

Polar body twinning remains no more than a theory because there are no observed cases of polar body twins and no method to identify or confirm polar body twinning.8

After the ovaries release an egg, it can split into two parts, the smaller of which is called a polar body. This part contains all the chromosomes necessary to connect with sperm to make a baby. But it doesn't typically contain enough fluid, or cytoplasm, to survive.

Researchers suggest that it's possible that a polar body could survive and be fertilized. At the same time, the larger part of the original egg is fertilized by different sperm, leading to polar body (or polar) twins.9
Polar twins would share the same chromosomes from their birthing parent, but get different chromosomes from their non-birthing parent because they’re created from one egg but two different sperm. Therefore, they may or may not be assigned the same sex at birth and may look very alike, but not completely identical.

Semi-Identical Twins
A new type of twinning, semi-identical twinning, was revealed in 2006 in a report published in the Journal of Human Genetics.10 It was based on an unidentified set of twins, described as somewhere between identical and fraternal—they were identical on the mother's side but shared only half of their father's genes.

Semi-identical twins may develop when two sperm fertilize a single egg to create a triploid, which then splits. This is different from identical (monozygotic) twins, which form when a single fertilized egg splits into two; and fraternal (dizygotic) twins, which come from two separate eggs fertilized by two different sperm.
The rest of the info on other types of twins is also interesting tho so I recommend reading the article

We Never Know

No Slack
This is a link with more info(and it has info on even more types of twins and how they form):
Different Types of Twins

The info relevant to what I've shared is here:

The rest of the info on other types of twins is also interesting tho so I recommend reading the article

Heteropaternal Superfecundation. -the twins could have different fathers

That sounds wild and would be hard to explain lol
Her "but they are your twins"
Him "only one of them are mine"

Here's another link I think I posted before...

Identical twins not so identical

"Improvements in technology (and in its affordability) now allow scientists to take a much deeper look, and they are finding out that many monozygotic twins are not identical at the DNA level after all."

Identical Twins Are Not Identical