• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Embracing Diversity Should Include Defying The US Constitution. So Say School Nitwits

Skwim

Veteran Member

"The Somerset Independent School District in Texas has removed a Creationist display from an elementary school after prodding from the American Humanist Association.

The issue revolved around a bulletin board at Somerset Early Childhood Elementary school that featured the line “In the beginning God created…” over an image of the planet.

shutterstock_652645636-1024x614.jpg

After hearing from a local parent, the AHA’s Legal Director Monica Miller sent the district a letting warning them of the constitutional concerns with the Christian display — and this letter to the principal and superintendent didn’t pull any punches.

Because this school-sponsored Biblical creationism display emphatically violates the Establishment Clause, you should expect litigation to follow unless corrective steps are taken immediately. Indeed, because of the well-settled nature of the law on this issue, you should anticipate being held personally liable for damages.

It is my expectation that the religious display will be taken down immediately in light of this courtesy warning. We will not sue if the display is promptly removed. To avoid litigation brought by entities or individuals other than AHA, I recommend that you enact a policy to ensure this will not happen again.

Don’t mess with a constitutional expert.

The display came down days after that letter was sent, but look at how the district is reacting to the letter. They’re complaining about how mean it is, rather than acknowledging how problematic the display was.

“We decided to go ahead and take it down, but we’re not happy about having to do that,” [public information officer Maury] Vasquez said.

“We’re disappointed with the process because Somerset ISD is a place where we embrace diversity, we’re open to dialogue and we’re sensitive to other people’s viewpoints,” Vasquez said. “We really would have liked to have a discussion instead of just having a threatening letter.”

At the same time, Vasquez said, “Somerset ISD is a place that, well, unabashedly, we keep Christ in Christmas. But this display had been here since the first day of the school year and we didn’t have a single complaint so we’re kind of shocked.”

source

sealchan

"The Somerset Independent School District in Texas has removed a Creationist display from an elementary school after prodding from the American Humanist Association.

The issue revolved around a bulletin board at Somerset Early Childhood Elementary school that featured the line “In the beginning God created…” over an image of the planet.

shutterstock_652645636-1024x614.jpg
After hearing from a local parent, the AHA’s Legal Director Monica Miller sent the district a letting warning them of the constitutional concerns with the Christian display — and this letter to the principal and superintendent didn’t pull any punches.

Because this school-sponsored Biblical creationism display emphatically violates the Establishment Clause, you should expect litigation to follow unless corrective steps are taken immediately. Indeed, because of the well-settled nature of the law on this issue, you should anticipate being held personally liable for damages.

It is my expectation that the religious display will be taken down immediately in light of this courtesy warning. We will not sue if the display is promptly removed. To avoid litigation brought by entities or individuals other than AHA, I recommend that you enact a policy to ensure this will not happen again.

Don’t mess with a constitutional expert.

The display came down days after that letter was sent, but look at how the district is reacting to the letter. They’re complaining about how mean it is, rather than acknowledging how problematic the display was.

“We decided to go ahead and take it down, but we’re not happy about having to do that,” [public information officer Maury] Vasquez said.

“We’re disappointed with the process because Somerset ISD is a place where we embrace diversity, we’re open to dialogue and we’re sensitive to other people’s viewpoints,” Vasquez said. “We really would have liked to have a discussion instead of just having a threatening letter.”

At the same time, Vasquez said, “Somerset ISD is a place that, well, unabashedly, we keep Christ in Christmas. But this display had been here since the first day of the school year and we didn’t have a single complaint so we’re kind of shocked.”

source

This is the great loophole that insensitive people who really only care about their own perspective often draw out...

The denial of my chosen expression, which violated a law meant to promote diversity, is itself a denial of my opinion and, as such, an affront to diversity.

The problem, of course, is that avoiding promoting a culturally dominant point of view allows those who don't share that view the comfort of not having the topic raised or their difference highlighted especially where it is not relevant. Promoting a dominant or even a minority view raises the controversy where it is not appropriate or useful to raise it, in public school.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
This is the great loophole that insensitive people who really only care about their own perspective often draw out...

The denial of my chosen expression, which violated a law meant to promote diversity, is itself a denial of my opinion and, as such, an affront to diversity.

The problem, of course, is that avoiding promoting a culturally dominant point of view allows those who don't share that view the comfort of not having the topic raised or their difference highlighted especially where it is not relevant. Promoting a dominant or even a minority view raises the controversy where it is not appropriate or useful to raise it, in public school.
Public school or school in general is about facts and the truth, not about a "point of view" that is anti-science.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member

Opinions are not what we teach in school, opinions are what I teach my own children, they can then question these through education.