• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Embarrassed to be a Christian

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
I hate that show, and she made me hate it even more. All I saw were the out takes and it made me sick to my stomach!

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
mr.guy said:
Can do one better kat. See "trading spouses" yesterday?
Is that the same thing as "Wife Swap"? Either way, I didn't see it. Want to fill me in on what you're getting at?

mr.guy

crapsack
Oy, it was gross. The producers of the show decided to trade an fundamentalist christian wife to a...new age family.

jonny

Katzpur said:
I don't know if anybody else here watches "The Amazing Race," but there is a family on there right now who absolutely makes me sick! It's the Weaver family. All of the other teams hate them and they seem to have no clue as to why. But whenever they are interviewed, they start in with, "People hate us because we're different. It's frustrating to be hated, but we're above those people. We're the only team here that are Christians." First off, they have no idea whatsoever what the religions of the other teams are. Since they're all from the US, it's a safe bet that at least some of them are Christians. This family's holier-than-thou attitude is just disgusting. And every other sentence is, "Thank you Jesus! Thank you for helping us get ahead of those other teams." As if Jesus cares who wins the race.
Reminds my of Julie from the Real World in one of those Real World/Road Rules challenges. I couldn't stop laughing when she kept saying, "please help me Jesus, help me Jesus" as she was trying to climb up a rope on one of the episodes. It was also embarassing since she is LDS. I think that the TV producers pick people like that on purpose.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
jonny said:
Reminds my of Julie from the Real World in one of those Real World/Road Rules challenges. I couldn't stop laughing when she kept saying, "please help me Jesus, help me Jesus" as she was trying to climb up a rope on one of the episodes. It was also embarassing since she is LDS. I think that the TV producers pick people like that on purpose.
I never saw the show, but that's really kind of weird, since we don't even say that!

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
mr.guy said:
Oy, it was gross. The producers of the show decided to trade an fundamentalist christian wife to a...new age family.
Wow, I bet that went over big. :biglaugh:

spdoulos

jgallandt said:
...But to tell people that if they don't believe exactly what you believe, they will burn in hell. Is that now judging?
As Christians we are called to share the Gospel of Christ and the Bible states that the only way for salvation is through Christ alone. So, depending on the context, telling someone they will go to hell (when stated in a loving and deep concern for the person) is not false. However, to tell someone they will burn in hell out of spite or while looking down your nose at them is appauling and they should be called out on such actions.

Peace,

jonny

spdoulos said:
As Christians we are called to share the Gospel of Christ and the Bible states that the only way for salvation is through Christ alone. So, depending on the context, telling someone they will go to hell (when stated in a loving and deep concern for the person) is not false. However, to tell someone they will burn in hell out of spite or while looking down your nose at them is appauling and they should be called out on such actions.

Peace,
I love this. Could you please show me the scripture where Christ gave you the right to determine people's final judgement? Claims like this are EXACTLY what embarass me about some Christians.

Also, how do you tell someone they are going to Hell lovingly? "Honey, you know how much I love you, but you are going to burn in Hell if you don't do what I believe. I'm so concerned about your horrible sins that I have been given the authority by Christ to determine that you will burn for eternity. Don't you realize that Christ came to earth and started a special club that only the select few who are born in the right place, at the right time, and in the right circumstances will benefit from. Everyone else gets to go to Hell. Lucky for you, you have me." :flirt:

mr.guy

crapsack
spdoulos said:
... telling someone they will go to hell (when stated in a loving and deep concern for the person) is not false.
"Hey, how ya doing, good to see ya! Have fun last night? That's great! I wish i had been there. Wanna see a movie next week? Cool, you're gonna burn in hell. Well, i'll call you tommorow 'bout the film, thinking meg ryan and that..."

jonny

mr.guy said:
"Hey, how ya doing, good to see ya! Have fun last night? That's great! I wish i had been there. Wanna see a movie next week? Cool, you're gonna burn in hell. Well, i'll call you tommorow 'bout the film, thinking meg ryan and that..."
Thanks for clearing that up. I can feel the love. :verymad:

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
spdoulos said:
So, depending on the context, telling someone they will go to hell (when stated in a loving and deep concern for the person) is not false.
Well, it may not be false, but it sure is (1)presumptuous, (2)self-righteous, and (3)judgmental. Do you honestly think you have the right to tell someone how God is going to judge him? Even if I felt that way -- which I don't -- I'd be embarrassed to say so!

spdoulos

jonny said:
I love this. Could you please show me the scripture where Christ gave you the right to determine people's final judgement? Claims like this are EXACTLY what embarass me about some Christians.

Also, how do you tell someone they are going to Hell lovingly? "Honey, you know how much I love you, but you are going to burn in Hell if you don't do what I believe. I'm so concerned about your horrible sins that I have been given the authority by Christ to determine that you will burn for eternity. Don't you realize that Christ came to earth and started a special club that only the select few who are born in the right place, at the right time, and in the right circumstances will benefit from. Everyone else gets to go to Hell. Lucky for you, you have me." :flirt:
Easy there jonny, never did I write that I determine a person's judgment. Hence, I cannot evidence from Scripture something which I did not state as it is not true. I stated that the only way to Heaven is through Christ (please let me know if you would like those verses). Also, it is OUT OF LOVE that Christians are to share the Gospel. We are to have a love and deep concern for al people. It is by this love that we are motivated to share the Gospel with others. Furthermore, I did not write burn in hell, you did. This is a horrible approach and a false statement. Your melodramatic oversimplification of sharing the Gospel is insulting.

Tell me something jonny, you are mormon, correct? As a mormon are you encouraged to evangelize? If so, why? To what end? Moreover, with the vast majority of religions and differences, how can there logically be more than one way to get receive Salvation?

Peace,

jonny

spdoulos said:
Easy there jonny, never did I write that I determine a person's judgment. Hence, I cannot evidence from Scripture something which I did not state as it is not true. I stated that the only way to Heaven is through Christ (please let me know if you would like those verses). Also, it is OUT OF LOVE that Christians are to share the Gospel. We are to have a love and deep concern for al people. It is by this love that we are motivated to share the Gospel with others. Furthermore, I did not write burn in hell, you did. This is a horrible approach and a false statement. Your melodramatic oversimplification of sharing the Gospel is insulting.

Tell me something jonny, you are mormon, correct? As a mormon are you encouraged to evangelize? If so, why? To what end? Moreover, with the vast majority of religions and differences, how can there logically be more than one way to get receive Salvation?
Sorry if I took your statement the wrong way, but I've been told by enough "Christians" that I'm going to hell that I doubt most people's sincerity.

Mormons don't believe in hell the same as most Christians. We are encouraged to evangelize, but the LDS plan of salvation is very complicated and can't be explained quickly in one post. There are threads in the LDS section that contain this information. I preach the gospel to bring people closer to Christ. I have no place judging their heart. I have no place judging their sins. I don't believe you can lovingly tell someone they are going to Hell. Salvation only comes through Christ, but I believe his mercy is more powerful than many Christians imagine. It is powerful enough to extend to those who didn't accept him in this life.

spdoulos

Katzpur said:
Well, it may not be false, but it sure is (1)presumptuous, (2)self-righteous, and (3)judgmental. Do you honestly think you have the right to tell someone how God is going to judge him? Even if I felt that way -- which I don't -- I'd be embarrassed to say so!
I do not have the right to tell anyone how God is going to judge them since I have no clue. However, I have the obligation to tell them what the Bible says about receiving Christ versus not recieving Christ.

Perhaps there is a misconception here that I caused. I would never, during the course of my conversation with someone, tell them that they were going to hell. In fact, I do not every remember writing that (I wrote that it would not be false to say so). However, doing so would be a very harsh and crude way to bring the Gospel to someone. Yet, if, after extensive realtionship building with that person and motivated out of love and concern for that person's salvation, the context called for it I would not be ashamed of telling what the Bible states.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
spdoulos said:
I do not have the right to tell anyone how God is going to judge them since I have no clue. However, I have the obligation to tell them what the Bible says about receiving Christ versus not recieving Christ.

Perhaps there is a misconception here that I caused. I would never, during the course of my conversation with someone, tell them that they were going to hell. In fact, I do not every remember writing that (I wrote that it would not be false to say so). However, doing so would be a very harsh and crude way to bring the Gospel to someone. Yet, if, after extensive realtionship building with that person and motivated out of love and concern for that person's salvation, the context called for it I would not be ashamed of telling what the Bible states.
Thanks for clarifying. Apparently I misunderstood your first post.

spdoulos

jonny said:
Sorry if I took your statement the wrong way, but I've been told by enough "Christians" that I'm going to hell that I doubt most people's sincerity.

Mormons don't believe in hell the same as most Christians. We are encouraged to evangelize, but the LDS plan of salvation is very complicated and can't be explained quickly in one post. There are threads in the LDS section that contain this information. I preach the gospel to bring people closer to Christ. I have no place judging their heart. I have no place judging their sins. I don't believe you can lovingly tell someone they are going to Hell. Salvation only comes through Christ, but I believe his mercy is more powerful than many Christians imagine. It is powerful enough to extend to those who didn't accept him in this life.
Its okay, I see that I wasn't that clear in my statements. Anyway, I believe I remember from a previous thread that you stated some held up a banner stating you will burn in hell before the BYU game?? If so, those are the type of statements that I am opposed to. In fact, I would categorize those people with those that blow up abortion clinics and state that "God hates ****", in that, they have a deeply flawed theology. Regarding my love statement - if it is out of sincere love and a desire for that person's salvation - I believe that one can Biblically inform someone of the reality of hell.

Peace,

jonny

spdoulos said:
... I would categorize those people with those that blow up abortion clinics and state that "God hates ****", in that, they have a deeply flawed theology...
Don't worry - they've got their bases covered. ;)
alw26.jpg

http://www.fairlds.org/apol/antis/2002gc.html
http://www.fairlds.org/apol/antis/200304gc.html
http://www.fairlds.org/apol/antis/2003mesa.html
http://www.fairlds.org/apol/ai153.html

I misunderstood your first post. I agree with what you were trying to get at.

mr.guy

crapsack
Holy Crap! that's insane stuff, Johnny! Does this sort of thing go on much? (anti-mormon rallies)

jonny

mr.guy said:
Holy Crap! that's insane stuff, Johnny! Does this sort of thing go on much? (anti-mormon rallies)
Where large groups of Mormons gather, the signs follow. I have seen them outside the temple in Portland when it was dedicated, outside temple square in Salt Lake at general conference, at a pagent in Manti, UT, and at BYU football games (those ones are usually smaller). You get to the point where you just ignore them. They also yell at you with bullhorns. :woohoo:

That's when I'm really embarassed that these people call themselves Christians.