• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Embarrassed to be a Christian

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
Wrong is wrong... sin is sin. Most people (not just Christians) tend to categorise a sin by how it affects them. God is more concerned with how the sin affects the sinner.

Matthew 18:15 "If your brother sins against you, go and show him his fault, just between the two of you. If he listens to you, you have won your brother over. 16 But if he will not listen, take one or two others along, so that 'every matter may be established by the testimony of two or three witnesses.' 17 If he refuses to listen to them, tell it to the church; and if he refuses to listen even to the church, treat him as you would a pagan or a tax collector.

18 "I tell you the truth, whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven.

19 "Again, I tell you that if two of you on earth agree about anything you ask for, it will be done for you by my Father in heaven. 20 For where two or three come together in my name, there am I with them."

21 Then Peter came to Jesus and asked, "Lord, how many times shall I forgive my brother when he sins against me? Up to seven times?"
22 Jesus answered, "I tell you, not seven times, but seventy-seven times. NIV

From this short passage, I see a few things about holding sin up to someone.

1) You should have a relationship with the person. (Brother)
2) Don't gossip- just between the two of you FIRST.
3) You should be worried how the sin is hurting them.
4) You should only worry about sin that is IN THE CHURCH.
5) It is far more important to FORGIVE than it is to CONDEMN.

Of course, Matthew 5 through 7 shows us a whole different side to judging others.

As for being embarrassed to be a Christian: I can relate. First, there are many times when my sin causes me to be embarrassed to be a Christian. God deserves SO MUCH BETTER than I could ever be.

Secondly, there are LOTS of hypocrites in the church, and I am one of the worst! When I get to be perfect, I'll demand all the other people do the same. Until that point, I accept the fact that I am one of the worst sinners this world has ever known: If Jesus can love me, he can love anyone. So, since Jesus loves me, I will try my hardest to love everyone as well.

Matthew 9:10 While Jesus was having dinner at Matthew's house, many tax collectors and "sinners" came and ate with him and his disciples. 11 When the Pharisees saw this, they asked his disciples, "Why does your teacher eat with tax collectors and 'sinners'?"
12 On hearing this, Jesus said, "It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick. 13 But go and learn what this means: 'I desire mercy, not sacrifice.' For I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners." NIV

It's obvious here that sinners were pretty comfortable around Jesus. I doubt that he concentrated on their "sins" as much as he concentrated on loving them.

Darkdale

World Leader Pretend
gtrsgrls said:
I'm trying as hard as I can to not sound judgemental here but the Bible says that homosexuals will not have a place in the kingdom of God.Like it or not.I believe being gay is just like any other temptation except only some people are tempted with it.I believe it can be overcome.Again,don't look at me as being judgemental it's just what the Bible says and I believe the Bible.

I've posted several other sins for which people should be murdered, Here , do you believe all these verses are the true commandments of God?

JerryL

I'm trying as hard as I can to not sound judgemental here but the Bible says that homosexuals will not have a place in the kingdom of God.Like it or not.I believe being gay is just like any other temptation except only some people are tempted with it.I believe it can be overcome.Again,don't look at me as being judgemental it's just what the Bible says and I believe the Bible.
Actually, the Bible says no such thing.

It does say that men who engage in homsexual sex with other men must be put to death (one can presume that they go to the same hell as those that perform work on the sabbath, and those that talk back to their parents), but there's no proscription against unconsumated interest; and female-female sex is never declared sinful nor punishable (though it might be "unnatural" according to Paul)

As to whether homsexuality can be overcome: It can be overcome as easily as heterosexuality. How hard that actually is depends mostly on where on the Kensy scale you fall... still "abstenance" is an option for anyone given it as a give by God (per Paul).

jeffrey

†ßig Dog†
Darkdale said:
The Bible says a lot of things and it advocates all kinds of horrible, disgusting cruelties. Do you believe that families should murder their children if they are suspected of being witches? What about if someone touches the blood or fat of a pig?
Very true. By pressing your own moral standards on others and condeming others for it is wrong. Look at JOB. Look at what happened to his friends.

JerryL

jgallandt said:
Very true. By pressing your own moral standards on others and condeming others for it is wrong. Look at JOB. Look at what happened to his friends.
They were tortured and killed by Satan, with God's permission, in order to settle a bet because Job was a loyal follower of Jehovia?

gtrsgrls

JerryL said:
Actually, the Bible says no such thing.

QUOTE]Which part of what I wrote?One of those two things I stated that it was just my belief but the part about homesexuals not entering the kingdom of God,yes,the Bible does say that.

jeffrey

†ßig Dog†
JerryL said:
They were tortured and killed by Satan, with God's permission, in order to settle a bet because Job was a loyal follower of Jehovia?
wrong answer. They where punished for trying to tell Job what he did wrong. BY SPEAKING FOR GOD

JerryL

Which part of what I wrote?One of those two things I stated that it was just my belief but the part about homesexuals not entering the kingdom of God,yes,the Bible does say that.
No, it really doesn't. Perhaps you are reffering to the part where it says that the effeminate have no place in heaven? "homosexual" is not a good English translation.

JerryL

jgallandt said:
wrong answer. They where punished for trying to tell Job what he did wrong. BY SPEAKING FOR GOD
The bet:
8 Then the LORD said to Satan, "Have you considered my servant Job? There is no one on earth like him; he is blameless and upright, a man who fears God and shuns evil."

9 "Does Job fear God for nothing?" Satan replied. 10 "Have you not put a hedge around him and his household and everything he has? You have blessed the work of his hands, so that his flocks and herds are spread throughout the land. 11 But stretch out your hand and strike everything he has, and he will surely curse you to your face."
12 The LORD said to Satan, "Very well, then, everything he has is in your hands, but on the man himself do not lay a finger."
Then Satan went out from the presence of the LORD.

Satan's act:
While he was still speaking, yet another messenger came and said, "Your sons and daughters were feasting and drinking wine at the oldest brother's house, 19 when suddenly a mighty wind swept in from the desert and struck the four corners of the house. It collapsed on them and they are dead, and I am the only one who has escaped to tell you!"

Perhaps you were speaking of a specific group. Could you reference the passage you have in mind?

jeffrey

†ßig Dog†
I'm talking about his friends, what God did to them. Not the bet. But I'm sure you know this.

JerryL

jgallandt said:
I'm talking about his friends, what God did to them. Not the bet. But I'm sure you know this.
I'll repeat: Could you reference the passage you have in mind?

JerryL

jgallandt said:
Read the epilogue.
I'm going to take that as a refusal to provide a reference. I've no intention of crawling around guessing what parts you are referring to.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
jgallandt said:
Sometimes I am embarrassed to be a Christian. So many so called Christians come across as they are right and everyone else is wrong. They know what's best for other people. All the time trying to tell others how to live their lives. Does not the Bible teach 'JUDGE NOT AND YE SHALL NOT BE JUDGED? Does it not also teach to be HUMBLE? It's cool to be content with your own religion. But to tell people that if they don't believe exactly what you believe, they will burn in hell. Is that now judging?
I hate to say it, but I think that is an 'American thing'.

When I saw the thread title, I thought what the................?, because as far as I am concerned, Christians ought to be (Privately) proud of Loving Jesus - to fit in with your humility thing.

I certainly don't dash about telling every stranger I meet that I am a Christian, but if the subject comes up, yes, I am proud to be fortunate enough to know that I am 'in touch' through prayer, as you ought to be able to feel.

Though I realize that there has been the odd occasion, on this forum, when I have wanted to disociate myself with some Christians, simply because as far as I am concerned, what they preach is not what I call Christianity.

Now I may be a bad Chjristian, that is a possibility; but I ain't changing.;)

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
JerryL said:
I'll repeat: Could you reference the passage you have in mind?
Oh for gawd's sake, God did not do anything to Job's friends because Job intervened on their behalf. But God did say to the friends that He was angry with them for not speaking the truth about Him as His faithful servant Job did. Job was right. The friends were wrong. And yes, it's in the epilogue.

jonny

michel said:
I hate to say it, but I think that is an 'American thing'.

When I saw the thread title, I thought what the................?, because as far as I am concerned, Christians ought to be (Privately) proud of Loving Jesus - to fit in with your humility thing.

I certainly don't dash about telling every stranger I meet that I am a Christian, but if the subject comes up, yes, I am proud to be fortunate enough to know that I am 'in touch' through prayer, as you ought to be able to feel.

Though I realize that there has been the odd occasion, on this forum, when I have wanted to disociate myself with some Christians, simply because as far as I am concerned, what they preach is not what I call Christianity.

Now I may be a bad Chjristian, that is a possibility; but I ain't changing.;)
I don't think you're a bad Christian. :rolleyes:

I don't know think that Americans go around proclaiming to everyone what religion they are. I think that the problems happen when the subject does come up and some people have been taught that their judgement is as good as Christ's judgement. I've purposely not told people my religion before because I knew how they would react based on the church that they attend. My mom says that I'm ashamed - I just don't like to open myself up to uninvited critisism.

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
jonny said:
I've purposely not told people my religion before because I knew how they would react based on the church that they attend. My mom says that I'm ashamed - I just don't like to open myself up to uninvited critisism.
You've never sounded ashamed of your faith to me. A wise person knows when to fight his battles.

Congrats on the 10k, btw! :)

ZeldaManiac

Darkdale said:
The Bible says a lot of things and it advocates all kinds of horrible, disgusting cruelties. Do you believe that families should murder their children if they are suspected of being witches? What about if someone touches the blood or fat of a pig?
Ok, I think you'll agree that the common punishment of the old testament days is not a good punishment of modern society. However, the basics still apply. "Leveiticus 20:13 If a man lieth with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them." So we shouldn't kill sexually active homosexuals, however, I still believe it is wrong. So being a witch is bad. Oh, and that "touches the blood or fat of a pig" thing, that was what the occult did to lay curses on God's people (drinking the blood/eating the fat of a pig), so it too was bad. I hope that makes people understand things a little better about that.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
I don't know if anybody else here watches "The Amazing Race," but there is a family on there right now who absolutely makes me sick! It's the Weaver family. All of the other teams hate them and they seem to have no clue as to why. But whenever they are interviewed, they start in with, "People hate us because we're different. It's frustrating to be hated, but we're above those people. We're the only team here that are Christians." First off, they have no idea whatsoever what the religions of the other teams are. Since they're all from the US, it's a safe bet that at least some of them are Christians. This family's holier-than-thou attitude is just disgusting. And every other sentence is, "Thank you Jesus! Thank you for helping us get ahead of those other teams." As if Jesus cares who wins the race.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
jonny said:
I don't think you're a bad Christian. :rolleyes:

I don't know think that Americans go around proclaiming to everyone what religion they are. I think that the problems happen when the subject does come up and some people have been taught that their judgement is as good as Christ's judgement. I've purposely not told people my religion before because I knew how they would react based on the church that they attend. My mom says that I'm ashamed - I just don't like to open myself up to uninvited critisism.
I don't see it as being ashamed, jonny. You're just telling it like it is. (And I can just bet that I know which denomination would be the most judgmental. :D )