• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Elon Musk meets with Brazilian President Bolsonaro

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Elon Musk visits Brazil's Bolsonaro to discuss Amazon plans | AP News

RIO DE JANEIRO (AP) — Tesla and SpaceX chief executive officer Elon Musk met with Brazil’s President Jair Bolsonaro on Friday to discuss connectivity and other projects in the Amazon rainforest.

The meeting, held in a luxurious resort in Sao Paulo state, was organized by Communications Minister Fábio Faria, who has said he is seeking partnerships with the world’s richest man to bring or improve internet in schools and health facilities in rural areas using technology developed by SpaceX and Starlink, and also to preserve the rainforest.

“Super excited to be in Brazil for launch of Starlink for 19,000 unconnected schools in rural areas & environmental monitoring of Amazon,” Musk tweeted Friday morning.

Illegal activities in the vast Amazon rainforest are monitored by several institutions, such as the national space agency, federal police and environmental regulator Ibama.

But deforestation in the Brazilian Amazon has surged under Bolsonaro, reaching its highest annual rate in more than a decade, according to official data from the national space agency. Bolsonaro’s critics say he is largely to blame, having emboldened loggers and land grabbers with his fervent support for development of the region.

Bolsonaro faces re-election in October.

He said that Musk's prospective purchase of Twitter was a "breath of hope."

During the event, Bolsonaro said the region was “really important” to Brazil.

“We count on Elon Musk so that the Amazon is known by everyone in Brazil and in the world, to show the exuberance of this region, how we are preserving it, and how much harm those who spread lies about this region are doing to us,” he said.

Bolsonaro and Musk appeared in a video transmitted live on the president’s Facebook account, standing together on a stage and answering questions from a group of students.

“A lot can be done to improve quality of life through technology,” Musk told the crowd.

Although none of the students asked about Musk’s prospective purchase of Twitter, Bolsonaro said that it represented a “breath of hope.”

“Freedom is the cement for the future,” he said, calling the billionaire a “legend of freedom.”

Musk has offered to buy Twitter for $44 billion, but said this week the deal can’t go forward until the company provides information about how many accounts on the platform are spam or bots.

Like Musk, Bolsonaro has sought to position himself as a champion of free speech and opposed the deplatforming of individuals including his ally, former U.S. President Donald Trump.

The meeting with Bolsonaro occurs just five months before the far-right leader will seek a second term in a hotly anticipated election.

Gargovic Malkav

I had a good laugh when I read that he said he is preserving the amazon. No... Just no.

Pretty interesting to see how much he digs into his own personality cult, huh?
Still, I'm curious how someone like him can't make a difference in your view, as a Brazilian.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
Pretty interesting to see how much he digs into his own personality cult, huh?
Still, I'm curious how someone like him can't make a difference in your view, as a Brazilian.

Are you talking about Musk or Bolsonaro?

I should have clarified: I was talking about Bolsonaro. This part of his speech specifically: "We count on Elon Musk so that the Amazon is known by everyone in Brazil and in the world, to show the exuberance of this region, how we are preserving it, and how much harm those who spread lies about this region are doing to us".

As for Musk, I welcome his iniatitive, although I am left wondering what exactly is in it for him.

Gargovic Malkav

Are you talking about Musk or Bolsonaro?

I should have clarified: I was talking about Bolsonaro. This part of his speech specifically: "We count on Elon Musk so that the Amazon is known by everyone in Brazil and in the world, to show the exuberance of this region, how we are preserving it, and how much harm those who spread lies about this region are doing to us".

As for Musk, I welcome his iniatitive, although I am left wondering what exactly is in it for him.

Yes, I was talking about Musk.
I don't know much about your current president.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Musk appears to be a classic Jekyll and Hyde having a great space business, an industry leading auto business and a few others while at the same time playing kissy-kissy with autocrats.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
Musk appears to be a classic Jekyll and Hyde having a great space business, an industry leading auto business and a few others while at the same time playing kissy-kissy with autocrats.

To be fair, Bolsonaro does deserve a ton of criticism, but he is far from an autocrat.