• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Elohim

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
if the absolute, almighty, created heaven and earth, were the elohim that lived in paradise created along with paradise?

why would the elohim tell adameve to not eat from the tree of knowledge?

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Tree of knowledge = exalted ones, not to eat of it means not to envy them and not seek to equalize yourself to their power, majestic light and station of authority. But he approached it thinking it was only told so he doesn't reach their level by deception of Iblis.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Tree of knowledge = exalted ones, not to eat of it means not to envy them and not seek to equalize yourself to their power, majestic light and station of authority. But he approached it thinking it was only told so he doesn't reach their level by deception of Iblis.
but man was created in the image of god; so then why would the elohim not want that realization to be made?

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
if the absolute, almighty, created heaven and earth, were the elohim that lived in paradise created along with paradise?

In the garden of eden paradise, the reality experience is non-dual, there is no mental perception of the mind as there being a separate adameve, the experiencer of the reality and the experience itself, there is only the oneness of awareness always.

The fruit of the tree of knowledge of good and evil represents the dualistic counterpoint to the unity of the tree of life, you will recall they are both in the center of the garden. They are are same tree, but seen differently from the non-dual mind state compared to the dualistic The fruit of good and evil represents the same aspect as yin and yang does to the unity of the Tao. Ying and yang, good and evil just represent complimentary opposites, without the differentiation, there could be no creation.

With pure oneness, there can be no creation, duality is essential for creation.
Isaiah 45:6-7 The lord God is one. I create the light and the darkness, I make the good and the evil, I the Lord do these things.

I only offer this comment as just another way of looking at the meaning of the Genesis story, I'm not intending to defend it.

iu

Tao gives birth to One,
One gives birth to Two,
The Two gives birth to Three,
The Three gives birth to all universal things.

Bible tells about the paradise that is was a garden that God planted. And after God had planted it, God placed people in it. Bible doesn't say did God plant also the "elohim" there also.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.

Elohim has more than one meaning, and you have to determine which meaning is being used from the context. Elohim can mean the One God (singular), it can mean many gods (like the gods of a pagan pantheon), it can mean angels, or it can mean human judges. In the Genesis story of the Garden of Eden, Elohim refers to the One God. It is not plural in this case.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist

Allegory.

Did you read my link?

I have read it. It says, "The Name of God: Elohim.". That is why I said what I said. I think the name of God is Yahweh because that is how it is called in the Bible. The words “Elohim” is not exactly name, but like a title and usually the same as the word “God”, which also is not exactly a name.

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
I have read it. It says, "The Name of God: Elohim.". That is why I said what I said. I think the name of God is Yahweh because that is how it is called in the Bible. The words “Elohim” is not exactly name, but like a title and usually the same as the word “God”, which also is not exactly a name.
Ok, I didn't elaborate and meant for the link to do that.
Correct, my understanding is that Yahweh is always translated as Lord in the bible. Elohim apparently comes from the 10 northern tribes scriptures and Yahweh from the southern 2 tribes. When the north was conquered, the two were combined into what we have now, and hence the lack of consistency in some of the stories in Genesis, particularly Chapter 1 from the north, and chapter 2 of the southern wrt the name of God.

IndigoChild5559

Remember that your rendition of the yad hey vav hey as Yahweh is just a scholarly best guess. No one really knows how to pronounce the tetragrammaton anymore.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Elohim has more than one meaning, and you have to determine which meaning is being used from the context. Elohim can mean the One God (singular), it can mean many gods (like the gods of a pagan pantheon), it can mean angels, or it can mean human judges. In the Genesis story of the Garden of Eden, Elohim refers to the One God. It is not plural in this case.
elohim in the context of one is as a group. like deer, or fish. the meaning can be plural, or understood as a group of one

IndigoChild5559

elohim in the context of one is as a group. like deer, or fish. the meaning can be plural, or understood as a group of one
No, that is simply not true. One of the many meanings of the word elohim is a royal we, which is SINGULAR. In this context, it is not a group. So in the creation story, it is not multiple gods, it is ONE undivided God. NOT a "group of one."

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
No, that is simply not true. One of the many meanings of the word elohim is a royal we, which is SINGULAR. In this context, it is not a group. So in the creation story, it is not multiple gods, it is ONE undivided God. NOT a "group of one."
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I also think there's some commentary that says it's plural because of referencing haShem and the angels that were involved with creation especially.

IndigoChild5559

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I also think there's some commentary that says it's plural because of referencing haShem and the angels that were involved with creation especially.
There is one verse where it says "Let us make man in OUR image." That verse refers to the heavenly court. But "Elohim" in Genesis 1 refers to the one indivisible God.