• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Elizabeth Holmes gets more than 11 years of prison time.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
For those of you who don't know Elizabeth Holmes was a very young self made billionaire. She was the founder of Theranos. A revolutionary blood analyzing company.

Elizabeth Holmes gets more than 11 years for Theranos scam

SAN JOSE, Calif. (AP) — Disgraced Theranos CEO Elizabeth Holmes was sentenced Friday to more than 11 years in prison for duping investors in the failed startup that promised to revolutionize blood testing but instead made her a symbol of Silicon Valley ambition that veered into deceit.

The sentence imposed by U.S. District Judge Edward Davila was shorter than the 15-year penalty requested by federal prosecutors but far tougher than the leniency her legal team sought for the mother of a year-old son with another child on the way.

Holmes, 38, faced a maximum of 20 years in prison. Her legal team requested no more than 18 months, preferably served in home confinement.

“This is a very heavy sentence,” said Rachel Fiset, a defense lawyer who has also been involved in health care cases.

So long story short. While in college she came up with a proposed a way to get an accurate blood analysis from a few drops of blood. Her company was worth billions at one point she was rated the world's youngest self made female billionaire with a personal worth of 4.5 billion when she was 30. There only only one problem.

Her business did not work.

I posted this because we keep hearing from some that the rich are never punished.

And one thing that I find a bit disturbing is that she recently had a child and is pregnant again. Did she try to use her child and future child as an influence on the judge to get a lighter sentence? It did not seem to work.

Last edited:

exchemist

Veteran Member
For those of you who don't know Elizabeth Holmes was a very young self made billionaire. She was the founder of Theranos. A revolutionary blood analyzing company.

So long story short. While in college she came up with a proposed a way to get an accurate blood analysis from a few drops of blood. Her company was worth billions at one point she was rated the world's youngest self made female billionaire with a personal worth of 4.5 billion when she was 30. There only only one problem.

I posted this because we keep hearing from some that the rich are never punished.

And one thing that I find a bit disturbing is that she recently had a child and is pregnant again. Did she try to use her child and future child as an influence on the judge to get a lighter sentence? It did not seem to work.
Good news. She deserves it.

I too wondered if she tried to use pregnancy as a ruse. On the one hand it seems rather irresponsible to get pregnant when you have a high probability of going off to jail. On the other hand, if you're going to be put away for a decade, you may be too old to have a child when you get out. So maybe she's just trying to rescue the rest of her life in some way, in which case perhaps we should give her the benefit of the doubt.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Good news. She deserves it.

I too wondered if she tried to use pregnancy as a ruse. On the one hand it seems rather irresponsible to get pregnant when you have a high probability of going off to jail. On the other hand, if you're going to be put away for a decade, you may be too old to have a child when you get out. So maybe she's just trying to rescue the rest of her life in some way, in which case perhaps we should give her the benefit of the doubt.
In a way it would be nice if the latter was true. And it may be. At any rate this was a once in a lifetime scam. She will totally lack the credibility to pull off anything like it again. I hope.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
She made the unforgivable blunder to rip off rich investors.
Oh, you lefty cynics.
Wealthy old Martha Stewart ripped off no one at all.
She wasn't even found guilty of the crime that inspired prosecution.
They got her on statements she made in her defense.
So she went to prison.
(BTW, get your lawyers advice before ever talking to cops.)

My dream....
Holmes & Trump will be cellmates.
It would be nice if Bill Clinton made it a threesome,
but my dreams aren't quite that implausible.

Heyo

Veteran Member
Oh, you lefty cynics.
Wealthy old Martha Stewart ripped off no one at all.
She wasn't even found guilty of the crime that inspired prosecution.
They got her on statements she made in her defense.
So she went to prison.
(BTW, get your lawyers advice before ever talking to cops.)

My dream....
Holmes & Trump will be cellmates.
It would be nice if Bill Clinton made it a threesome,
but my dreams aren't quite that implausible.
Maybe Elon Musk?
He is selling stuff that doesn't exist longer and more successful than Holmes.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
The same Homes was convicted of, lying to investors:
I've long thought his electric truck was overly
ambitious, & doomed to fail. But to prove
fraud is another matter entirely.

Look, I dislike the guy too. But we can't just
have someone prosecuted for bad ideas.
Tesla is a real company that sells real cars.
(Though many call them "golf carts".)

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
But it did seem to give you license to propagate a pretty ugly inference.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
^ interesting justification
A criminal willing to defraud people of billions of
dollars would be the kind of person who'd become
pregnant for the singular reason of a lighter sentence.
Perhaps you have too high an opinion of your fellow
man & woman?

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
A criminal willing to defraud people of billions of
dollars would be the kind of person who'd become
pregnant for the singular reason of a lighter sentence.
Perhaps you have too high an opinion of your fellow
man & woman?
Or perhaps I think that ugly and unevidenced insinuations are unethical.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
But it did seem to give you license to propagate a pretty ugly inference.
I do not think that it was unjustified. She went a lifetime without kids and this trial and its outcome were not unexpected. She was first charged in 2018. Her trial began in August of 2021 and lasted 4 months. She was found guilty. She appealed and lost and finally was sent to prison in November. Her first child was born less than a month before the trial began. The second was not conceived until after she was found guilty. She new that she was going away for some time and yet she got pregnant again which is to me a rather large red flag.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

Guaranteed she will get out early.