• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

eliminate evil

syo

is there a way to eliminate evil? can religions cooperate, so that goodness will prevail?

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I am not a dualist. That is, I do not view reality in terms of good and evil. I adopt this perspective because I see no reason to believe that either of these things are intrinsic to the nature of reality. Things simply are. It is humans who choose to label and adjudge them as "good" or "evil." Both of those attributions are eliminated the moment you stop making those attributions in the first place.

Sanzbir

is there a way to eliminate evil? can religions cooperate, so that goodness will prevail?

Yes. Liberate yourself from the concept of good and evil. Learn to see the world as unified, it's true state, instead of the divided state of imagination. Do that, and you have eliminated evil from the world.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
There are different frames-of-reference on good/evil. One is that evil is a pattern from the past, including evolutionary past, present today. So cannibalism, for example, is evil in humans but just fine in various species.

So I'd rephrase the questions as "is there a way to get over the patterns from the past so that we can live up to our potential".

My answer to that question is "the more we each live up to our highest understanding of our potential", the more we overcome the past. This can be acts both small and large. Cooperation amongst religious can be part of this.

Reactions: syo

agorman

Premium Member

I think maybe some far day the World will be in a state of harmony. See this Taoist story, which is found in many websites nowadays (this text from this one ):

A farmer and his son had a beloved stallion who helped the family earn a living. One day, the horse ran away and their neighbors exclaimed, “Your horse ran away, what terrible luck!” The farmer replied, “Maybe so, maybe not. We’ll see.”

A few days later, the horse returned home, leading a few wild mares back to the farm as well. The neighbors shouted out, “Your horse has returned, and brought several horses home with him. What great luck!” The farmer replied, “Maybe so, maybe not. We’ll see.”

Later that week, the farmer’s son was trying to break one of the mares and she threw him to the ground, breaking his leg. The villagers cried, “Your son broke his leg, what terrible luck!” The farmer replied, “Maybe so, maybe not. We’ll see.”

A few weeks later, soldiers from the national army marched through town, recruiting all the able-bodied boys for the army. They did not take the farmer’s son, still recovering from his injury. Friends shouted, “Your boy is spared, what tremendous luck!” To which the farmer replied, “Maybe so, maybe not. We’ll see.”

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
is there a way to eliminate evil?

Good and evil are nothing more than human constructs. They don't exist outside of the human perception of "reality."

can religions cooperate...?

Doubtful, since they're still killing each other over whose belief is more valid.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member

Has it ever? Do you have hope for peace based on their track record so far? :shrug:

Religion has only ever delivered the opposite of peace....which is division, hatred and bloodshed. The only way to achieve peace is to have everyone on the same page. For man this is impossible, but for God, nothing is impossible. Because we all have free will, God will never force us to agree, so he tells us in the Bible that he is choosing those who will be citizens of his "new earth" and the criteria he uses to select them....they all have to agree with him. That means that goodness will be sure to prevail.....sounds fair to me.
xaathumbup.gif

WalterTrull

Godfella
I am not a dualist. That is, I do not view reality in terms of good and evil. I adopt this perspective because I see no reason to believe that either of these things are intrinsic to the nature of reality. Things simply are. It is humans who choose to label and adjudge them as "good" or "evil." Both of those attributions are eliminated the moment you stop making those attributions in the first place.
Yo! You stopped eatin' them apples. Cool. Wish I could. Congratulations!

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
Given that no one can agree on what is and isn't evil, and considering that a lot of it is simply human nature, I would have to say "nope."

Therein lies the whole basis for the plight of man. In the beginning, the difference between good and bad was placed in God's exclusive jurisdiction. (Jeremiah 10:23) The first humans were influenced to take that knowledge for themselves, (knowing the consequences) but convinced that it would make them "like God"......and so in order to settle the issue, God let them run with their decision, experiencing first hand what it would mean.....and the rest as they say, is history. Man still doesn't know which is which and we will all go on suffering until the lesson is over.

I believe it will be over soon. How bad does it have to get to prove that man is hopeless at making decisions for himself and others?

Skwim

Veteran Member
Yup. Get rid of god.

As long as god is around creating evil we'll always have it.

Isaiah 45:7
I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.

Mister Silver

Faith's Nightmare

I believe it will be over soon.

Yeah, that's been said for two thousand years and guaranteed to be stated for much longer because people cannot accept that Jesus is not real and that he is not coming back and that god is not having any kind of war with satan.

arthra

Baha'i

"Evil" in my view is merely the absence of Good. So by stressing the Good and living the life that emphasizes Goodness "evil" will retreat just as you would shine a bright light in a room the darkness vanishes. So by joining together for Good the darkness of evil will be eliminated:

"We enjoin on you once again chastity, faithfulness, godliness, sincerity, and purity. Lay aside the evil and adopt the good."

~ Abdu'l-Baha, A Traveller's Narrative, p. 48

There is already on the international scale a cooperation of efforts toward common goals in such bodies as the Parliament of World Religions.

See:

Major Interfaith Conference Coming To U.S. In 2015

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
Yeah, that's been said for two thousand years and guaranteed to be stated for much longer because people cannot accept that Jesus is not real and that he is not coming back and that god is not having any kind of war with satan.

If you say so......but what if you're wrong?
looksmiley.gif
Its a big gamble really.....lots to lose.

agorman

Premium Member
If you say so......but what if you're wrong?
looksmiley.gif
Its a big gamble really.....lots to lose.

AFAIK the oldest human remains are 400 thousand years old. If the story of Mankind has 400k years, people has been doing that bet for 398 thousand years, until Jesus finally came to save us, 2k years ago. That means according to Christianity, for 398 thousand years, God left people to go to Hell because they didn't know Jesus. So I wouldn't worry.