• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Eleni

PhilyG

On the Wikipedia page about love and lust deities, specifically under the greek mythology section, a goddess called Eleni is mentioned. She's supposed to be the goddess of oral sex, cunnilingus , and sexual pleasure. Her name's red so there isn't a wikipedia page about her. That wouldn't be a problem but I also don't find anything on the internet about her.

Can someone who knows better than me tell me if that's a typo or if such a goddess was believed in?

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
I have no idea how reliable/accurate this site is, but the explanation below is from:

Eleni, the Greek name Eleni

Eleni is a very common female Greek Name, popular both in Greece and Cyprus.

The name Eleni has a long and interesting history, as it dates back to the antiquity.

Eleni in Ancient Greece was a synonym of the “shining” and “glorious” woman. Perhaps this happened because Helen of Troy, the most famous Eleni in Ancient Greece, was described by Homer as an amazingly beautiful and glorious woman.

eleni.gif

Sound of name Eleni
: E-le’-ni

Nameday of Eleni: May 21st – along with Kostas, Konstantinos

Male Version of Name Eleni: N/A

Saint Helena – Origin of Name Eleni

Although the name Eleni comes from the ancient years, the Christians tend to associate names with their Saints.

Saint Eleni, or Helena as she is mostly known in English, was the mother of Konstantine the Great, the Emperor of Byzantine Empire.

Her full name was Flavia Iulia Helena Augusta, and she was consort of Emperor Constantius, although coming from a very poor family.

During the reign of her son, Eleni was living in obscurity, although her influence to Konstantine was immense. Eleni was Christian and she was the main responsible for the pro-Christian decisions of her son, who was a pagan.

She died in 330AD and her sarcophagus is believed to be on display at the Pio Clementine Museum of the Vatican. She was famous for her piety, thus she was proclaimed a Saint by the Eastern Orthodox, Oriental Orthodox and Roman Catholic churches.

The memory Agia Eleni (Saint Eleni) is honored on May 21st, which is the nameday of Eleni and Konstantinos (her son).

Nicknames deriving from name Eleni
Eleni is, as well said a very common name, therefore there are several nicknames deriving from this name: Leni, Elli, Lena, Lenio, Lenaki, Elenaki, Elenitsa, Nitsa, Lina, Eleana, Lengo, Lenitsa.

The Names’ Fairy reveals the meaning of the name Eleni
The name Eleni reflects a strong and imposing woman, with strong personality and character. Eleni is a woman that always tries to look beautiful and attractive.