• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Election preparations

Shaul

Premium Member
The U.S. midterm elections are coming up. Here are some reminders of things to prepare.

Check that your voter registration is current and valid.

Make sure your income taxes are up to date. Third quarter payments should be made as necessary. Remember, the Administration feels properly paid taxes are important. That's one reason authorizing 87,000 more IRS agents was part of the Inflation Reduction Act.

Make sure you fill up your vehicle's gas tank. You don't want to run out of fuel on the way to vote. If you drive an electric vehicle you will probably want to start charging it a week ahead of time. They do take a long time to charge. Add an additional week if you are in California due to its many electrical power outages. If you will need a loan to fill up your car, arrange for it ahead of time.

Stock up on groceries. Buy extras for any election result watching parties you are planning. Consider buying some extra things to give away to recent migrants or fentanyl addicts to hold them over until they get a job or apply for assistance.

Map out your route to your polling location. You will want to avoid routes that include homeless camps or "no go" zones of urban areas such as in Chicago or forest fires in California. This will ensure you arrive at the long voting line safely.

Make sure your vaccines are up to date. Unless you agree with President Biden that the pandemic is over, I guess. But don't forget about monkey pox. If you wear a mask, make sure it is made of the highest quality. Hopefully by content workers in the People's Republic of China.

Take a Spanish-English dictionary with you when you go. They might "accidentally" run out of English language ballots, but they will probably have lots and lots of Spanish language ballots. Unless you prefer to learn a different language than Spanish, of course. Remember, learning another language can be fun!

Also remember to take some bottled water with you. Especially in cities such as Jackson, Mississippi or Flint, Michigan. You don't want to drink their city water.

Remember to take your photo identification with you. Unless you live in locations where they don't care about election security or integrity. If you live in those areas don't wear any jewelry to the voting location.

It is your civic privilege to vote!

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Seeing such posts about elections and voting feels quite foreign to me. The only thing I can say is never take voting for granted, and take care.

I wish Americans the best in November.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
As a Canadian, I am always perplexed with American elections. A national election in Canada typically last somewhere between 35 and 45 days. Our electoral districts (that we call ridings) are not the creations of political parties. We require ID -- that's not a bad thing, and we will accept such forms of ID as a letter from our tax department (Canada Revenue Agency, CRA) that has your name and address on it. So not all that fussy. And we've got polling places everywhere -- I once stood in a line for almost 17 minutes! Imagine!

And of course, we have lots of time for advance voting, in case I'm planning to spend election day in London's west end watching a show.

But there really is no fuss.I just don't get you guys!

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
The U.S. midterm elections are coming up. Here are some reminders of things to prepare.

Check that your voter registration is current and valid.

Make sure your income taxes are up to date. Third quarter payments should be made as necessary. Remember, the Administration feels properly paid taxes are important. That's one reason authorizing 87,000 more IRS agents was part of the Inflation Reduction Act.

Make sure you fill up your vehicle's gas tank. You don't want to run out of fuel on the way to vote. If you drive an electric vehicle you will probably want to start charging it a week ahead of time. They do take a long time to charge. Add an additional week if you are in California due to its many electrical power outages. If you will need a loan to fill up your car, arrange for it ahead of time.

Stock up on groceries. Buy extras for any election result watching parties you are planning. Consider buying some extra things to give away to recent migrants or fentanyl addicts to hold them over until they get a job or apply for assistance.

Map out your route to your polling location. You will want to avoid routes that include homeless camps or "no go" zones of urban areas such as in Chicago or forest fires in California. This will ensure you arrive at the long voting line safely.

Make sure your vaccines are up to date. Unless you agree with President Biden that the pandemic is over, I guess. But don't forget about monkey pox. If you wear a mask, make sure it is made of the highest quality. Hopefully by content workers in the People's Republic of China.

Take a Spanish-English dictionary with you when you go. They might "accidentally" run out of English language ballots, but they will probably have lots and lots of Spanish language ballots. Unless you prefer to learn a different language than Spanish, of course. Remember, learning another language can be fun!

Also remember to take some bottled water with you. Especially in cities such as Jackson, Mississippi or Flint, Michigan. You don't want to drink their city water.

Remember to take your photo identification with you. Unless you live in locations where they don't care about election security or integrity. If you live in those areas don't wear any jewelry to the voting location.

It is your civic privilege to vote!
BUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
As a Canadian, I am always perplexed with American elections. A national election in Canada typically last somewhere between 35 and 45 days. Our electoral districts (that we call ridings) are not the creations of political parties. We require ID -- that's not a bad thing, and we will accept such forms of ID as a letter from our tax department (Canada Revenue Agency, CRA) that has your name and address on it. So not all that fussy. And we've got polling places everywhere -- I once stood in a line for almost 17 minutes! Imagine!

And of course, we have lots of time for advance voting, in case I'm planning to spend election day in London's west end watching a show.

But there really is no fuss.I just don't get you guys!
And usually we do it with high tech pencil and paper.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Get your placard painted ready for the stolen election protest afterwards. Use a dictionary to correct your spelling - don't ask a friend because they're as thick as you are.

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Bye elections are held all the time. Other elections are held every five years.
Two smaller states will have elections this year (Himachal Pradesh and Uttara Khand).
Nine states will have elections in 2023 (Tripura, Meghalaya, Nagaland, Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh, Chhattisgarh, Mizoram, Rajasthan, Telengana).
Sometime in late 2022/early 2023, we will have elections in Jammu & Kashmir and Ladakh.
In 2024 (April May), we will have the National election (when Modi's prime ministership will be challenged), and election in four states (Andhra Pradesh, Arunachal Pradesh, Odisha, Sikkim). Elections in three states will be held in late 2024 (Haryana, Maharashtra, Jharkhand).

1. It is advisable to check one's name in the electoral roll. It may get deleted inadvertantly due to compuer glitches.
2. Transport is not a problem since it is mandated that every citizen have have an election booth within 500 meters of his/her residence.
3. Tax status is not checked. Otherwise also, most Indians do not pay any income tax.
4. Stocking up groceries is not required. Governments will make all attempts that groceries are cheaper at the election time.
5. Language is no problem, since parties and individuals contesting elections are given symbols. So just find the symbol of the person you want to vote and click. All elections are held with electronic voting machines with paper trail.
6. Long lines can be avoided by not going immediately after breakfast, lunch, or evening tea time. That is generally when people vote (with full stomach).
7. Pandemic is officially over at the moment. Masks are not necessary, though recommended.
8. Yeah, bottled water should be carried along when going for voting.
9. 'Aadhar' card (sort of national identification) should be carried along. Otherwise voting agents of competing parties give you voting slips carrying your 'Aadhar photo'. That is sufficient. ('Aadhar' means 'basal support').

Last edited: